What's new

Authorities ID Russian Suspect in Great California Bee Heist

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
You gotta be kidding me...what? :a47:

Tim Stelloh -MSN News - 14 May 17

"Now, authorities believe they've identified a Russian-Ukrainian suspect in the crime — along with a string of other bee thefts that they believe he carried out in California and possibly beyond.

Pavel Tveretinov, 51, was arrested on April 28 in Madera County on suspicion of possessing stolen property, Fresno County Sheriff's Detective Andy Solis told NBC News.

But the charge was never officially filed after Fresno County took over the case, Solis said. The sheriff's office has not pursued additional charges, he added, "because it's probably going federal."

An FBI spokeswoman would not confirm or deny an investigation. Messages left at phone numbers for Tveretinov were not returned Monday.

The thefts, which totaled nearly $1 million, Solis said, have often targeted a booming almond business in California that attracts beekeepers from across the United States.
proxy.php

The bees pollinate almond trees, helping to produce a crop that cleared two billion pounds last year. In a single season, Solis said, a beekeeper can earn $180,000 after expenses.

"They're coming with their bees from all over the country," said Ryan Coysns, whose family farm has been in the bee business for 12 years.

The case against Tveretinov broke in March, after he brought a beekeeper from Missouri to a nursery in Fresno County that has long catered to the profession.

A beekeeper's equipment is often marked with unique identifiers, and the man from Missouri noticed hives that looked like they belonged to his friends, a couple that offers pollination and other services back home.

Plus, Solis added, the beekeeper also noticed that the equipment at the nursery didn't look right.

"It looked like a chop shop for bee hives," Solis said. "They're everywhere. They scattered and different kinds are mixed with
other kinds."
proxy.php

Using FaceTime, the beekeeper dialed the couple. After showing them what he'd found, Solis said, they hopped on a plane to Fresno.

Solis said authorities later identified two other areas in the county that were being used to store stolen property.

At one of them, they found hundreds of the beehives that were stolen in Sutter County.

One of those unlucky beekeepers, Lloyd Cunniff, of Beeline Honey in Choteau, Montana, lost 488 hives, or enough bees to pollinate 244 acres of almond trees. He put his losses at more than $400,000.

Coysns described the crime — and a second one that occurred nearby the same night — as "probably the biggest bee theft ever."

On May 7, Cunniff got back two-thirds of his equipment, which had been spray-painted with somebody else's name. On Monday, the bees that survived were quarantined and being fed antibiotics and treated for mites.

Did Cunniff plan to return to California?

"If I'm short on money," he said.

Works Cited: Bee Heist

proxy.php
"Keep your bees close and your hives even closer" Old Beekeeping Proverb

Last edited:
Would love to keep bees..But my mom doesn't care for bees at all, yet loves honey..And not for the honey, but for wax in with is wroth more...

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Cattle Stealing, Horse Thieving and now Bee Rustling (again...). :shocked:

By Rene Ebersole - National Geographic - 3 May 19

"Central Valley, Calif: It was Wednesday night around dinnertime when Jeremy Kuhnhenn realized something was wrong. A few days earlier, in preparation for pollination season, he’d temporarily parked a truckload of more than 280 wooden boxes vibrating with buzzing bees on a grassy knoll overlooking a vista of citrus trees in McFarland, in California’s Central Valley. Now, standing on the hill, he felt ill, as if he might throw up—many of the boxes were missing.

Feverishly, he started counting. “I couldn’t think. I kept messing up the count,” he told me, sitting at a friend’s kitchen table the next morning, shaking his head. He’d hardly slept. “Over half of them were gone, 160 boxes”—days before California’s almond bloom, the biggest and most lucrative pollination event in the world. “Those thieves stole about $70,000 from me,” he said, tallying the insects, equipment, and lost pollination rental fees.

Kuhnhenn, 39—tattooed, with a brown beard, and wearing a black “Right To Bear Arms” T-shirt and jeans—is a commercial beekeeper from Bantry, North Dakota. Like many others in his profession, he makes the bulk of his living from an annual pilgrimage to the Central Valley, where his bees help pollinate the state’s almond crop. In the off-season, back home on his ranch, Bulldog Honey Farms, he manufactures about 80 pounds of summer honey. Wintertime is almond season, and he’d been preparing for the bloom all year. His hives were ready to move into position in the almond orchards. Now was that time, and a bunch of his bees were gone.

[...] He wanted to show me the crime scene. He climbed into his truck, and I followed in my rental car. We traced a long series of dirt roads, deeply rutted from heavy rain and truck traffic. Finally arriving at the hill, we walked across the grass to where his bees had been.

“They were right here,” he said, pointing at the ground. “You can see the pallet marks in the grass, and here in the dirt are tread marks from the forklift. It had smaller tires than mine.”
proxy.php

[this is the 'food for thought' part] Whoever did this knew what he was doing, Kuhnhenn said, and had the right equipment."

Read More: Bee thieves cost beekeepers thousands $$$

proxy.php
"Keep your bees close and your hives even closer" Old Beekeeping Proverb

Last edited:
Stealing is bad enough, but it seems like salt in the wound when they keep people from making an HONEST leaving. Good grief. Hope the hives are recovered and the thieves are prosecuted.
The mention of the almond business there reminded me of an article I read saying that theft is a real problem for pecan growers here in the south.

Don't ask "what's the world coming to" these days unless you are able to stomach the horrible realities.

Thankfully, we have traditional wet shaving to take our overly stressed minds off the horrors (Brando's line from Apocalypse Now somehow popped into my head) of living in today's chaotic world. :)

Sad .....when things get lucrative there will always people looking to cash in the easy way......

But on the upside i can see a new business for maybe some younger vets....guarding those bees.

Don't ask "what's the world coming to" these days unless you are able to stomach the horrible realities.
Same thing it always has been. 70 years ago. 200 years ago. 2000 years ago.

Sad .....when things get lucrative there will always people looking to cash in the easy way......

But on the upside i can see a new business for maybe some younger vets....guarding those bees.
I just keep imagining how it would have went down if those were Africanized bees.:a46: