What's new

Australian Traveling Scuttle...

I see that the Yanks have a traveling scuttle, but it is limited to the CONUS. I have a nearly new Robert Becker #005 scuttle that I have not used in quite some time since I began face lathering and using a smaller brush scuttle. If you are into bowl lathering and would like to try a scuttle for a week or two, just reply to the post with Ï'm in". In order to qualify, you must reside in Australia. I will keep this open for one week before sending the scuttle to the first respondent.

Cheers,

Stu

Attachments

• $#1 Celestial Blue 2.jpg
    $#1 Celestial Blue 2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 125
Good on you Stu for doing something like this. I won't opt in, being a face latherer myself, but I did want to say good on ya mate.

Mick

I second Mick's comment. My scuttle is currently nothing but a holder for shave stick, alum block and razor. For anyone who hasn't tried a scuttle before, what a great opportunity!

Ok Wilko, you're up after me. I'll PM you for your address in a week.

I tried the scuttle Tuesday morning (didn't shave yesterday) and it certainly does keep the lather warm!

The large size of the scuttle can be a bit misleading with the lather. I'm used to looking down at my small lather mug and seeing no porcelain underneath the mounds of lather.
When I used the scuttle I was concerned that I hadn't used enough cream, as it didn't look like there was tonnes of the foamy stuff. I can assure anyone that this is just an illusion due to how big the lather chamber is.
I had enough great lather for 3 passes and a clean-up.

Cheers Stu! I will be passing in onto Willy in a week or so.

Tim

Ï'm in"

Always wanted to try a scuttle. And it sounds perfect for me by your description Timmy. I use a small bowl to lather in. Even the really large coffee mugs are too small for me.

No rush Willy, (provided thats ok with Stu). Im happy to wait a few weeks or so.

Timmy, what was postage $?

p.s. can someone give a quick run down on how to use one?

I used to use a small bowl inside a larger bowl and found that having freshly boiled water in the under bowl made the lather dry up fast.
Perhaps if I put real hot water in before the shower it will be at the right temp after?

Standard advice is not to use boiled water: it's too hot and makes the lather dry.

I also wouldn't put boiling water in my scuttle for fear of damaging it. (Don't know whether that's a valid concern, though.)

However, allowing the boiled water to cool down a bit before using it for lather, as you suggest, should be fine.

I no longer use warm lather, but when I did, I found hot water from my tap wasn't enough to keep the scuttle warm all that long. Depends on your tap though, I guess.

Top Bottom