What's new

Australian Private Reserve Aftershaves

I've been using these splashes for over a year now, so Why not make a personal review of them?

that will include some opinions on scents, so let's show what I got, excluding soaps:

proxy.php

To my knoledge, AP reserve came from the willing a top bloke shaver down here, wanting to make great scented and quality splashes plus some parfum. It was rounded afterwards with the soaps, but scent and splashes came first in this case.

Splashes came in a 100 ml rounded-chubby bottles, not so much different from B&M Glissant or Black Ship grooming co. That's a very nice format, but I must say I like most formats, as good as there is good stuff inside. They came lately in frozen glass, but some in the past came in transparent glass. There has been some changes on the art work, and there are differences in the artwork from L.E. vs seasonal editions, both of them can be identified by the colors on the label.

Inside, there is: Denatured Alcohol, Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana) distillate, Aloe Leaf Extract (Aloe Barbadensis), German Chamomile Flower Extract (Matricaria Recutita), Calendula Flower Extract (Calendar officinalis), Allantoin, Provitamin B5 (Panthenol), Glycerin, Fragrance/Perfume, Aqua, Polysorbate-20,Menthol.

Very good stuff for the skin!. Not all have menthol, and those with it, have smooth effect, unless you splash your eyes xD

There are two types of splashes, those that are mostly alcohol and fragance (like Fine, Wholly Kaw etc) or those that carries stuff for the skin (like Chaty Lux, B&M reserve...). AP Reserve is in the second group

These splashes are just so great on the skin, I **** you not! That doe snot mean the alcohol based ones does not make a great job, as they do and I enjoy them, but these second group also nourish and help the skin. It is more a matter of personal preferences, and skin condition, but it is worth mentioning the difference.

A particular thing from APR are the scents. Well crafted from scratch, multi-layered (you most like will get that from a splash, that may last for quite a few hours depending on your skin and how you apply it), and some unique ones. When I say some are not unique, I don't mean there are dupes, but some family scents can be pick up on some (colonia, fouguere, chypre) while others cannot be placed easily anywhere.

From what is roughly available in north america, I would recommend for florals Fougere bourbon rose (autumn-winter that can be used year round) and Florian, a really nice spring one, for fougeres, The general Ledger, that well, THAT'S a Fougere, Mousse de saxe: Coeur de Vert, one of my prefered (and APR soap most abused), and then the unique ones, lixiviant, for summer, and frenchurch for winter. Frenchurch is just a not so dark, but super-complex scent that I cannot describe, but I got the whiskey, tobacco, laudanum, some musk.... I have the same issue with Lixiviant, where I get even less notes to be defined by my nose, but it is great. But beware of Lixiviant. If you liberally apply the splash on your face and chest, you will be smelling for days until you change your t-shirt (hahaha), and that's great, unless you work in a scent free building/office (not my case)... If you spray three times the EdP on your clothes you may intoxicate someone (but it will be a so delicious way being intoxicated xD)

Yes, they have a high cost. Well, like spanish products in OZ or USA, or USA made products down here in OZ.... it is how it is...
May we enjoy global splashes until some dickheads make even more restrictive rules!!!

cheers
Fer

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great review. On my last trip to Pasteur pharmacy they had several but by the time i noticed it i was overwhelmed and going to check out. But regret not sniffing the scents.

Great review. On my last trip to Pasteur pharmacy they had several but by the time i noticed it i was overwhelmed and going to check out. But regret not sniffing the scents.

sniff them, they are remarkable!!

I haven't tried any soaps or aftershaves from down under due to the cost in the USA.
I'll get around to buying at some point. Now I understand how guys outside of the
CONUS feel. I did notice that they have some nice ingredients compared to most
aftershaves that only contain alcohol,water and fragrance so that makes the price
comparable.

Last edited:
I have used Ozymandias AS along with the soap for three straight shaves and it is really nice. The scent is exquisite and, though complex, appears to be centered on Mysore Sandalwood. It nourishes my skin and, along with the soap, leaves my face lubricated. This is how it is described:

"Ozymandias, a tour de force of vibrant dark woods teaming with creamy, refined Mysore Sandalwood finished impeccably with white musk and dark resinous vanilla.

Heart notes of generous Rosewood, beautiful floral Orris and the warmth of Cedar resting on the sweetness of Honey. The sum is greater than the whole accord.

The warming camaraderie of white rums suitably aged and rested, accented by intangible suggestions of Red Cherry and Blueberry as the fragrance opens.

To experience Ozymandias is to experience a deep fragrance of multiple accords, a narrative of agelessness, memory and time where the lone and level sands stretch far away.
Top Notes Include: White Rum, Red Cherry & Blueberry

Heart Notes Include: Rosewood, Orris, Cedarwood & Honey

Base Notes Include: Oudh, Mysore Sandalwood, White Musks, Vanilla & Ambergris."

I haven't tried any soaps or aftershaves from down under due to the cost in the USA.
I'll get around to buying at some point. Now I understand how guys outside of the
CONUS feel. I did notice that they have some nice ingredients compared to most
aftershaves that only contain alcohol,water and fragrance so that makes the price
comparable.

Yes, down here everything imported is expensive (I am from Spain, so I tend to send some food stuff from spain with some friends from time to time, stuff legal to import to Aus for personal use, of course, and we don't have equivalent in quality or directly availability, like some cheeses, down here).
At least you can try, if you wish, APR splashes easily in CONUS from some local retailers, in the European Union it is a hard thing due to more bureaucratic and protective legislation....

I have used Ozymandias AS along with the soap for three straight shaves and it is really nice. The scent is exquisite and, though complex, appears to be centered on Mysore Sandalwood. It nourishes my skin and, along with the soap, leaves my face lubricated. This is how it is described:

"Ozymandias, a tour de force of vibrant dark woods teaming with creamy, refined Mysore Sandalwood finished impeccably with white musk and dark resinous vanilla.

Heart notes of generous Rosewood, beautiful floral Orris and the warmth of Cedar resting on the sweetness of Honey. The sum is greater than the whole accord.

The warming camaraderie of white rums suitably aged and rested, accented by intangible suggestions of Red Cherry and Blueberry as the fragrance opens.

To experience Ozymandias is to experience a deep fragrance of multiple accords, a narrative of agelessness, memory and time where the lone and level sands stretch far away.
Top Notes Include: White Rum, Red Cherry & Blueberry

Heart Notes Include: Rosewood, Orris, Cedarwood & Honey

Base Notes Include: Oudh, Mysore Sandalwood, White Musks, Vanilla & Ambergris."

Ozymandias is an excellent choice for the cold season. I'll have mine soon resting till next Autumn, well, probably I may give it a go from time to time... the way how these splashes leave my skin have no match, so far, and the scents are just superb. Let us know your impressions on Florian, my choice of today's SOTD :)

Great review Fer!
I’ve missed the boat getting the earlier release APR soaps or splash so I’m accumulating them as they get released moving forward lol!
Can’t wait for the summer release to drop!

Ozymandias is an excellent choice for the cold season. I'll have mine soon resting till next Autumn, well, probably I may give it a go from time to time... the way how these splashes leave my skin have no match, so far, and the scents are just superb. Let us know your impressions on Florian, my choice of today's SOTD :)

Great write up sealer.. as soon as autumn hits I will be purchasing an Ozymandias set, heard awesome things bout this scent.

Great write up sealer.. as soon as autumn hits I will be purchasing an Ozymandias set, heard awesome things bout this scent.
Still working hard on thinning my stock levels until i can be 80-90% APR based.
It will happen - not overnight, but it will happen....

I just added the EdT in this scent...

Ozymandias is EdP, so it will last for a long time, bot in terms of longevity of the bottle, but also for the scent on you when used.

Thanks @tim33z and @StratMan for your kind words. The quality of these splashes (and the rest of APR line of products) is out of question. I just wanted to wait for long term use of it and other high end brands before stating how great it is, trying to depart from some reviews based on a single use of a product (my review is based on a year of using them around 80% of the time).
I am also quite keen on purchasing as much APR as I can. That is, all splashes from any seasonal release, and at least a full set or two. I have missed a few in the past, and that won't happen again. I can live buying just samples from other artisans :)

Top Bottom