What's new

Australian Aristocrat Jr No. 48 Set

All,

I just received this set from Australia this morning and wanted to share a few pics. Hoping to gain some knowledge on these sets as they seem to be really scarce. Hoping I can add some info as well. The set is NOS and has everything but the shipper...I am assuming it had one but have never seen one. The plastic around the razor was already splitting so I carefully slid the razor out to check condition. Everything looks pretty good and it still had the paper blade. There appears to be some surface growth that I have seen on other NOS razors sitting in this plastic. I think I will go ahead and give it a light cleaning and possible polish. Anyone else do this or should I just leave it alone? I would like to stop/control any further damage to the plating if there indeed is any. This is going in my collection and I will likely leave it NOS but it might tough not to give it a go. Ha. This razor has the same head as the # 21 set. The other curious attribute of this set is based on the instructions it came with I can almost guarantee these sets were put together from leftover Popular sets (white/cream Bakelite case) w/ Popular instructions and exported to Australia. Thanks for any further info anyone can provide on this set.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 193
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 191
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 191
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 192
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 191
A few more

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 181
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 181
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 180
What a beautiful set, Brent!

You made me run to the one and only NOS set I have (a 2nd gen Aristocrat in a black lined Gillette case that Achim lists as a 1948-1952 Brit) to see if there was anything growing under the identical cellophane wrap :lol: I am happy to report - NO! - so I don't really know what to counsel you about cleaning/arresting your razor's athlete's foot, sorry.

That is an exceptional find and wonderful set Brent. I would try to clean it with great care after doing my homework.

I have a user grade No.48 that you are welcome to use if it will cure your itch.:001_smile

Thanks everyone. It's definitely a cool set. I came home this evening and lightly cleaned it. Unfortunately, I discovered the shiny nickel plating has indeed been compromised on the doors, which is a bummer. I have decided to restore it to its former glory and will be checking w/ CAP to see if he can remove the doors for me. These will then be sent to Chris at Razorplate for restoration and replate in bright nickel. I will update the thread when it is completed. It will no longer be NOS but rotten doors are no good either. Here is one last pic after cleaning off the deterioration. You can see the brass shining under, and also what could have been, and soon will be.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 143
Very nice. I wouldn't be surprised if CAP does his magic and makes those doors shiny again. Not perfect as a replate though.

The pvc leeching from the plastic over wrap is what ate through the plating. High humidity contributed to the problem. The over wrap for many vintage products from that time period will leech an acidic gas form that when combined with moisture results in damage to anything that is damaged by acid.

But Cap and Chris can and will set things right and make that one a perfect razor again.

The pvc leeching from the plastic over wrap is what ate through the plating. High humidity contributed to the problem. The over wrap for many vintage products from that time period will leech an acidic gas form that when combined with moisture results in damage to anything that is damaged by acid.

But Cap and Chris can and will set things right and make that one a perfect razor again.
Hmmmm, should we all be unwrapping our NOS razors, then?

Very nice. I wouldn't be surprised if CAP does his magic and makes those doors shiny again. Not perfect as a replate though.

CAP and Chris definitely do some amazing work. Put them together and really good things happen. Happy to report that the Aristocrat Jr restoration project is in full swing. Razor on the way to CAP right now. Chris has signed on to replate the doors and the T-bar (if needed). I can't thank both of these guys enough. They have both done several great things for me already. CAP will then reassemble after plating.
I was definitely torn about restoring but in the end I would not be happy with the condition of the door plating. More updates to come.

Hmmmm, should we all be unwrapping our NOS razors, then?

You may not have to unwrap them but make certain they stay ventilated and in as low a humidity environment as possible.

if you can't keep them in low humidity then yes unwrapping them will be the best practice.

years of work in item preservation has taught me many useful lessons.

silica gel packs in the case would have helped, but they must be changed every two to three months if the humidity is above about 15-20%.

Dion,

Interesting information here. I assumed moisture was playing playing a role but this makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Well the duo has done it again. Complete restoration of the damaged plating on the doors of my corroded NOS Jr. A big thanks to CAP and Chris (Razorplate) as they have returned this poor corroded razor back into a glorious piece of shiny goodness. Thank you sirs!

Top Bottom