What's new

Aussie Razor Pass Around Box.

Hi Y’all

We have decided to split up the HUGE pass around box into its smaller parts to make postage easier.

I am kicking off the Razor Pass Around box.

proxy.php

It contains:
  • 1927 Gillette New Type Open Comb Fat Handle Tech USA
  • 1930-1949 Gillette New Type Ball End Tech Long Tooth Open Comb USA
  • Gillette Guard with 3 blades, I am going to order more blades this week.
  • 1954 Gillette Super Speed USA
  • 1940's Gillette Fat Handle Tech USA
  • 1958 Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed USA
  • 2016 West Coast Shaving - Midnight Collection 77B

The rules are simple:
  • You must live in Australia
  • You can have these as long as you need to try them but please move them on ASAP after you have finished trying the last one. (try to make it no longer than a month in total before moving it on)
  • You must NOT remove any razor from the box to keep as they have all been donated and that was the condition of the donation. i.e. they stay with the box.
  • You CAN add a new razor to the box for someone else to try.
  • If interest dries up the box should be returned to me or another admin of the GSL.
  • If you have the box it will be up to you to contact the next in line and pay for postage to that person.
  • Thoroughly clean each razor after you have finished and of course remove the blade before packing it again.

If your interested just say "I am in” in this thread an I will all you too the list.
It would be good if those that try them to post in the GSL a quick review of the razors, in this thread.

Any suggestions are welcome.

The list of the interested:
  1. elgrumpo

Last edited:
I am going to use one of those Gillette Guard blades but I will buy some off eBay and have to shipped to whoever has the box.

They are all really nice.... The Guard was interesting to use but not totally disappointing, I really must echo the Round Table Panel in this fortnights episode of B&B Radio the cartridge with improved technique gives a very respectable shave, I still have to organise some extra blades for the Guard but there is a surprise in the box to make up for that an me being slack.

I am just waiting on @elgrumpo ’s address and me getting my act together (Yeah mostly me getting my act together) and it will be on its way.

It's all packed up a ready to send to @elgrump

I have also included a variety of tucks of blades both from my stash and some of the excess from what will be the Blade Pass Around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the blades you can pick an choose if you decide to keep a tuck replace it with something interesting that you might have.
Alternatively if you happen to use the last blade in a tuck try to replace the tuck with some of your blades.

The razor box arrived yesterday and before I do my first review these are my first impressions of the razors in the box.

The two Gillette New Open Combs are amazing to look at and hold in my hand. There's quite a bit a discussion about whether the short or long comb is more aggressive, at first glance I'd say that long comb would be and I'll see if that's correct when I use them.

My first vintage razor was a 40's British Fat Handled Tech so when I get the chance I'm going to compare it to the American cousin.

I'm really looking forward to trying the Super Speeds especially the the flare tip which looks as elegant in the hand as it does in photos.

Compared to the vintage razors the West Coast Shaving 77B feels like a monster as it's quite heavy, in fact quite a bit heavier than my Edwin Jagger.

I'm going to start with the 1927 New Open Comb and I'll post the review of it tomorrow.

Review of the 1927 New Type Open Comb Fat Handle Tech with an Astra SP.

I struggled to get the angle right with this razor, probably due to being a little bit tentative, and as result the shave wasn't as close as I would've liked. On the other hand I avoided any major cuts, nicks or irritation. I also didn't like the feel of the comb and I'll admit to a couple of folds under my chin which I felt the comb gripped a bit as I shaved.

Overall it wasn't so bad that I'd put it back in the box never to be tried again and I'm looking forward to a better effort tomorrow.

Take 2 with the 1927 New Type Open Comb.

Much better shave with it today although I would say that it's not enough to seek one out.

Take 3 with the 1927 New Type Open Comb.

Another improved shave from this razor and it certainly felt like I got shaving angle right today which was pleasing. My only negative was a bit of irritation under my chin because I tried for too close a shave.

I probably should try the long comb next but I think that it could be the Flare Tip that gets a run.

1958 Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed USA with an Astra SP.

I was really looking forward to using this razor today and in the end I just didn't enjoy using it; not because it didn't shave well, it was that just I couldn't shave well with it. I have a wide hand with short fingers so I really struggled to hold the handle securely without then putting too much pressure on the skin.

I will have another go on Thursday and I might also compare it to the 1954 Super Speed that day because I think that the knurling on the 54 will be easier to grip.

Take 2 with the 58 Gillette Flare Tip.

It looks like perseverance, and a little patience, will pay off with this razor which makes me happy because I love the feel that I get from the flare tip. Before I shaved this morning I spent a few minutes just holding it and getting a better idea of how to grip it without having to apply to much force. The result was less irritation and I still feel that I could get a better shave, swapping the Astra for a GSB will help. The big difference is that I'm now looking forward to using it again.

Take 2 with the 58 Gillette Flare Tip.

It looks like perseverance, and a little patience, will pay off with this razor which makes me happy because I love the feel that I get from the flare tip. Before I shaved this morning I spent a few minutes just holding it and getting a better idea of how to grip it without having to apply to much force. The result was less irritation and I still feel that I could get a better shave, swapping the Astra for a GSB will help. The big difference is that I'm now looking forward to using it again.

I really liked the flaretip that flare ands to the control...

Take 3 with the 58 Gillette Flare Tip with a Gillette Silver Blue.

Really getting a feel for the Flare Tip was one of a few reasons why I loved today's shave. One of the other reasons was swapping the Astra for a GSB which resulted in a closer shave and for me at least a really nice razor/blade combination.

'54 and '58 Super Speeds

I decided to do a double test this morning using both Super Speeds and I love the heads on these razors, the handles not so much. Having said that I'd still buy a flare tip just so I could look at it.

I'm going to try the long comb next and then I probably be ready to move the box along.

Top Bottom