What's new

August is Mild/Medium Efficiency Razors Month

Gillette red tip in the medium category? Here's mine regardless.
0802212054~2.jpg

SOTD:
Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #5
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

This one is perfectly good for a day's growth, and mild enough to use on autopilot.

It shaves like the Rockwell R4 or R5 plate, but with a thin agile head. With 23g aluminium handle, it weighs 52g.

DSCN4800_compressed.JPG

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Mild/Medium Efficiency August
Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Personna GEM (8 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey Lime Swirl (Shavemac D01 2-Band Badger)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Brut Classic
shave 20210802_160004_2.jpg

Superb shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Personna GEM (8 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey Lime Swirl (Shavemac D01 2-Band Badger)
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Brut Classic
View attachment 1305992

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/
I love the Featherweight. I don’t know why, but it’s my favorite GEM style razor. And I have a ton of other SEs that look cooler and are supposed to be better shavers. But I keep going back to the Featherweight. I even have two new and unused NOS Featherweights in their cases with sealed blade packs, instruction sheets and the works. One Deluxe and one Standard. Some day i will bust them out and use them. But for now I’ll stick with my beater flea market Featherweights. I will have to break one out for this Mild/Medium August event. Thanks for reminding me that the FW fits this category. 😎

08/03/2021
Razor: Merkur HD 34C
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome Israeli (2)
Brush: Razorock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Lather: Stirling Soap Co Naked & Smooth
Aftershave: cold water rinse

No Irritation: 5
No cuts or nicks: 4
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

Score: 9.5/10

Very smooth and close shave. A weeper was created but stopped quickly.

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Mild/Medium August. A tail of two Techs. This was done for the Polsilver Participation PIF. Left side has a Polsilver Polish Stainless from the Brown box. Right side has a modern Polsilver SI. These razors are essentially identical Pre-War Techs. Nice shave today. The polish PIF blade is definitely smoother. The modern blade shaves a bit closer. But they are quite comparable. This was shave 4 on both of these blades, so they are a little past their prime. I believe the Tech is the epitome of this Mild/Medium category. If I had to shave the rest of my life with one of these Techs, it wouldnt be a bad thing. :)

2021-08-03 08.04.13.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I love the Featherweight. I don’t know why, but it’s my favorite GEM style razor. And I have a ton of other SEs that look cooler and are supposed to be better shavers. But I keep going back to the Featherweight. I even have two new and unused NOS Featherweights in their cases with sealed blade packs, instruction sheets and the works. One Deluxe and one Standard. Some day i will bust them out and use them. But for now I’ll stick with my beater flea market Featherweights. I will have to break one out for this Mild/Medium August event. Thanks for reminding me that the FW fits this category. 😎

You are most welcome. :)

The Featherweight is such a wonderful razor. I sure love shaving with mine. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
How would you rate the Featherweight to a Bullet Tip, David? Mine hasn't seen much use, as I recall it was a smooth and nimble shaver.
View attachment 1306353

The Bullet Tip is a great razor that produces great results. In my opinion, it is more efficient than the Featherweight Deluxe but the Featherweight Deluxe is smoother and feels better in my hand - easier to control. :)

Using my criteria, beard, face, skin, etc., my preference is for the Featherweight Deluxe.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
How would you rate the Featherweight to a Bullet Tip, David? Mine hasn't seen much use, as I recall it was a smooth and nimble shaver.
I know you asked David, but I’ll add my 2 cents. I have about a dozen different GEM type razors. The bullet tip is one of my least favorite. It does not feel great in the hand. And it doesn’t offer me enough of an improvement in efficiency to make the loss in comfort over the FW worthwhile. The FW is just super smooth. If I am going to go a little more aggressive than a FW, I am going to shoot up to the Micromatic Clog Pruff, which is still quite smooth, but much more efficient, relatively speaking. The Clog Pruff is way more user friendly than the MMOC for me. I have Push Buttons and G-bars and all those middle of the road GEMs, and I like the FW much better. When I go old school and pull out a 100-plus year old,GEM like the 1912 etc, that adds a level of history and nostalgia that the newer razors don’t give to me. But the Featherweight is the one that gives me the most enjoyable shave of that newer GEM group. I hope that helps.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Gillette Pre-War Tech (TiBam Ti Antique Handle)
Blade: Kai (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: RazoRock Saturnia
Fragrance: Belcam G Eàu Bronze EdT Spray
20210803_151533~2.jpg

SOTD
Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Palmolive
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S R3, Boots #3
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Brut AS.

For Mild & Medium Month, revisited the R3 plate, which I haven't tried for a long time. It doesn't feel like it's doing much ("is there a blade in this thing?"), but the result was a jeopardy-free DFS without much effort.

Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome Israeli (3)

No cuts or nicks: 5

Score: 10/10

Very smooth and close shave. LBS - Light Bulb Smooth. No issues.

Today's shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.
Razor: Gillette Canadian prewar tech. First shave he Canadian prewar tech. It definitely is a notch up in aggression over the US techs. I would say it is in the medium category. Blade feel id pronounced.
Blade: GSB

Soap: Muhle Sea Buckthorn
Brush: Stirling Badger fan
Balm Stirling unscented balm
Aftershave: Fine American Blend

DFS

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210804_144454_2.jpg

Razor: Timeless Ti 0.68 SB (Timeless Ti TRH6 Handle)
Blade: Kai (3)
Brush: Rudy Vey Lemondrop (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome Israeli (4)

No cuts or nicks: 5

Score: 10/10

Very smooth and close shave. LBS - Light Bulb Smooth. No issues. Blade is done.

Top Bottom