What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I'm out. 😞

Behind the scenes, I have had the chance to buy an unoptainioum razor today from one of my most favourite razor manufacturers, Blackland.
The razor, a Dart, already went out of production some time ago. It's been a "now or never" opportunity since this razor almost never shows up for sale on my side of the pond. That’s why I decided to pull the trigger.
A trade unfortunately wasn’t possible.

I'll share a photo as soon as she arrives.

I'll go, for sure, for a 30/31 approach now...

Last edited:
I'm out. 😞

Behind the scenes, I have had the chance to buy an unoptainioum razor today from one of my most favourite razor manufacturers, Blackland.
The razor, a Dart, already went out of production some time ago. It's been a "now or never" opportunity since this razor almost never shows up for sale on my side of the pond.

That’s why I decided to pull the trigger.

Happy shaves!
Sorry you're out, but...

🎊 CONGRATULATIONS 🎊 👏

Wishing you success with the 30/31 and hoping to see you again in September :cool:

Last edited:
Still here, shave #71 on my Feather, DFS. I got a miserable SAS+ yesterday on this blade after a fresh hone. Must’ve done something wrong, so I put it through the Allegro honer again. I had a better shave today after two passes than my final results yesterday. The Feather is still kicking!

I'm out. 😞

The razor, a Dart, already went out of production some time ago. It's been a "now or never" opportunity since this razor almost never shows up for sale on my side of the pond. That’s why I decided to pull the trigger.

Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.

Day 13, 41.9% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Ti Handle, Astra SP #5
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

It's Cubebe's turn again. Another perfect bowl-lather.

Took my time, and got a comfortable near-BBS.

The razor, a Dart, already went out of production some time ago. It's been a "now or never" opportunity since this razor almost never shows up for sale on my side of the pond.

Congratulations on getting something that rare.

Please post your test drive.

Forgot to post yesterday’s shave - so a two in one for today, because the setup was basically the same.

Date:14.08.2022
Focused participations:14/31 Days in GRUME (45.2% completed, still in and holding on)
224/226 in 365 days of shaving (99.11%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
High Efficiency Razors Summer
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Razor:Gillette Tech
Blade:Gillette 365 (4)
Brush:Blue Aluminum Synthetic
Soap:The AlphaMen 2.0
Bowl:Face lather
Preshave:Cold splasH
Postshave:Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) | Gillette Slant
ATG (S-N) | Slightly Gillette Slant
Touch up pass on the neck
Efficiency:9/10 (15 minutes)
Quality:8/10 (Couple of weepers ATG)
Comfort:10/10 (Super comfortable)
Effectiveness:8.5/10 (DFS+ near BBS)

Notes to both shaves can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11886378 and here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11885979

I'm out. 😞

Do not feel sad Guido - this is about restraint not total abstinence. And if this is one of your unicorn’s I would say a very good restraint frombuying other stuff. I was about to drop out this morning for a Raised Flat Bottom New. Somehow I caught myself The mrs. looked over my shoulder while peeking on the action site and brought me back to reality with a remark about the finish (no more plating at all, just bare dark brass - and the handle was a Laurel and not a Gillette) ending with the conclusion that is might be cheap now but with all replating and everything…My dream balloon went “pop”.

And yes, you already have a very fine collection and it’s even more fine than it was. Congrats! And do share the pics!!!

Best,

Second Guido

Yesterdays shave
Pre-Shave: Warm Shower
Razor: Rockwell 6C (4)
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Omega S-Brush
Soap: DR Harris Arlington
Post-Shave: Alum Block
SV Felce Aromatica ASL
Nivea Protect & Care ASB
D R Harris Arlington Cologne

Had to attend a familyBBQ yesterday so thought I’d shave before hand. Love Harris soaps and the Arlington did not disappoint. Excellent 3 pass and touch up yielded a BBS result. Cologne finished it off nicely 😎😎😎😎😎

Thank you @Roedeer and @Guido75.

In fact, the Dart was a very hard to come by razor for me. I even activated the search option on the bay to get one of them. In the last approx. 18 months or so only one showed up in the european 'Bay, but it was sold before I could place my order.

So, if you will, it was in fact some sort of unicorn razor for me. I didn't opt for offerings in the US due to import sales tax issues, shipping costs... and "CONUS only".

The razor's on it way now from the Netherlands, she should arrive in course of the next week. I'll share some pictures 😎

I guess, the phase in my wet shaving journey where I was curious to try a whole lot of razors will come to an end soon. I'm not a collector, though my stash might reason to doubt this verdict. Even if money was not an objection (sure it is for me) there are perhaps only one or two more razors left right now which still catch my interest. Doesn't mean I tried them all (that's for sure not the case), but some just don't itch me (though they are beautiful to look at, say a Toggle....).

Other than these perhaps two more, I don't feel the urge to extend the herd any further. Unfortunately, there is no New RFB in my stash. Sorry @Guido75.

So I guess I have already entered the next phase: reorganizing and focusing on those razors which give me, myself, the best shaves. I seek to keep those who work best for me.

The funds for buying the Dart were already fully borne by sales of other razors. I've started parting with some razors in the last couple of weeks (again). And I'm far from being done with my sales. But it will take some time to complete the task. TBH I don't know when this "second" phase might end, but a selection of perhaps 15-20 razors would be in my favour. I still value some variety.

FinaIly, I don't know if the Dart can stand this test of selection. She's reputated to be a bitchy razor. Some get the best shaves out of her, some don't even manage to have one decent shave with the Dart. We shall see.

In any case chances are getting better and better to not being washed out of the upcoming GRUMEs. I'll join september GRUME, for sure!

Have a great Sunday, y'all!

Last edited:
Forgot to post yesterday’s shave - so a two in one for today, because the setup was basically the same.

Date:14.08.2022
Focused participations:14/31 Days in GRUME (45.2% completed, still in and holding on)
224/226 in 365 days of shaving (99.11%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
High Efficiency Razors Summer
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Razor:Gillette Tech
Blade:Gillette 365 (4)
Brush:Blue Aluminum Synthetic
Soap:The AlphaMen 2.0
Bowl:Face lather
Preshave:Cold splasH
Postshave:Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) | Gillette Slant
ATG (S-N) | Slightly Gillette Slant
Touch up pass on the neck
Efficiency:9/10 (15 minutes)
Quality:8/10 (Couple of weepers ATG)
Comfort:10/10 (Super comfortable)
Effectiveness:8.5/10 (DFS+ near BBS)

Notes to both shaves can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11886378 and here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11885979

Do not feel sad Guido - this is about restraint not total abstinence. And if this is one of your unicorn’s I would say a very good restraint frombuying other stuff. I was about to drop out this morning for a Raised Flat Bottom New. Somehow I caught myself The mrs. looked over my shoulder while peeking on the action site and brought me back to reality with a remark about the finish (no more plating at all, just bare dark brass - and the handle was a Laurel and not a Gillette) ending with the conclusion that is might be cheap now but with all replating and everything…My dream balloon went “pop”.
IMHO you were right to skip the order.
Perhaps you should opt for a complete razor in better shape instead if you really want to have one of these gems. Replating might even change the character of the razor.

If you end up finding out the shaver isn't for you (anymore) you'd be a able to sell a complete razor in decent but original shape way easier - and without relevant financial loss. So better follow up with the "buy once/cry once" approach. It might take some time but patience works out.

My 2 cent.

Cheers
Guido

Last edited:
IMHO you were right to skip the order.
Perhaps you should opt for a complete razor in better shape instead if you really want to have one of these gems. Replating might even change the character of the razor.

If you end up finding out the shaver isn't for you (anymore) you'd be a able to sell a complete razor in decent but original shape way easier - and without relevant financial loss. So better follow up with the "buy once/cry once" approach. It might take some time but patience works out.

My 2 cent.

Cheers
Guido
Thanks for the support Guido. Another came up, but I had some private chats with more experienced B&B suavers regarding these razors and it seems overpriced.

Interested backstory in your previous post. And a lot of good things come from the Netherlands - apparently a Dart as well :thumbup:.
But I especially liked your thoughts on your collection and having a collection of razors that give you the right shave. I think I am about that point as well. GRUME helps in that sense. All of my razors give fantastic shaves. The Tech even a two pass BBS- this morning. Super efficient. I have one or two razors left on my bucket list. One requires a pull of the trigger (FOCS) and one requires lots of patience (birth quarter razor and apparently I am from a rare quarter - I knew that already (ahum) and I guess it also applies to razors!).

I did realise the other day I spend way too much time roaming endless pages with vintage razors full of razors I do not even want. And as for that New Flat Bottom or Nee Raised Flat Bottom: if it’s meant to be it will happen. The energy of the universe has its ways.

What I do like is just the feeling of happiness for another brother finding one of his unicorn razors. I am sure it will provide marvellous shaves. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Guido

Thank you @Roedeer and @Guido75.

In fact, the Dart was a very hard to come by razor for me. I even activated the search option on the bay to get one of them. In the last approx. 18 months or so only one showed up in the european 'Bay, but it was sold before I could place my order.

So, if you will, it was in fact some sort of unicorn razor for me. I didn't opt for offerings in the US due to import sales tax issues, shipping costs... and "CONUS only".

The razor's on it way now from the Netherlands, she should arrive in course of the next week. I'll share some pictures 😎

I guess, the phase in my wet shaving journey where I was curious to try a whole lot of razors will come to an end soon. I'm not a collector, though my stash might reason to doubt this verdict. Even if money was not an objection (sure it is for me) there are perhaps only one or two more razors left right now which still catch my interest. Doesn't mean I tried them all (that's for sure not the case), but some just don't itch me (though they are beautiful to look at, say a Toggle....).

Other than these perhaps two more, I don't feel the urge to extend the herd any further. Unfortunately, there is no New RFB in my stash. Sorry @Guido75.

So I guess I have already entered the next phase: reorganizing and focusing on those razors which give me, myself, the best shaves. I seek to keep those who work best for me.

The funds for buying the Dart were already fully borne by sales of other razors. I've started parting with some razors in the last couple of weeks (again). And I'm far from being done with my sales. But it will take some time to complete the task. TBH I don't know when this "second" phase might end, but a selection of perhaps 15-20 razors would be in my favour. I still value some variety.

FinaIly, I don't know if the Dart can stand this test of selection. She's reputated to be a bitchy razor. Some get the best shaves out of her, some don't even manage to have one decent shave with the Dart. We shall see.

In any case chances are getting better and better to not being washed out of the upcoming GRUMEs. I'll join september GRUME, for sure!

Have a great Sunday, y'all!
Congrats on the Dart!! I may be joining you in the 30/31. I received my email from Tara asking if I want to proceed and of course I chose yes!! lol Maybe she won't invoice me until September 1!

Nice @Guido75

The Tech is a very nimble razor, I'm a fan of the slim head design, though its efficiency is rather on the low side (on my face). But as you stated, BBS isn't impossible.

... one requires lots of patience (birth quarter razor and apparently I am from a rare quarter ...

That'd be a V3 date code, right?
I'll keep my eyes on our side of the border.

What I do like is just the feeling of happiness for another brother finding one of his unicorn razors. I am sure it will provide marvellous shaves. Enjoy!
That's some really kind and thoughtful words. 🤩 Thank you.

Congrats on the Dart!! I may be joining you in the 30/31. I received my email from Tara asking if I want to proceed and of course I chose yes!! lol Maybe she won't invoice me until September 1!
Congrats, too! 👍
Your plan will probably work out, the time it takes to produce your 🐺 and invoice regular is about two weeks. You can certainly stretch the payment until September 1.

Cheers, mates!

Last edited:
1) FoolishMortal - (SOTM), Arko August
2) Markdad2
3) Balin
4) bjm
5) markmc
6) Multum in parvo - Arko August
7) IVER
8) hopper_64
9) kjbarth - GRUYERE
10) ChriWilson - (SOTM)
11) Sandorfi (SOTM)
12) elmerphud
13) JAHE (All Aventus August)
14) sarir97
15) La Malice (Arko August)
16) Bobbyb
17) SharpieB
18) Stuart Ganis
19) Roedeer
20) Contact_vs_Feedback
21) Virtus3
22) Doti B
23) cryhavoc - Arko August
24) Guido75
25)Dodger59
26) LJBraaten
27) linty1
28) 2bit_collie
29) Brother Jack Goossen
30) FL shaver
Late getting in but I have abstained from purchases since a stick of Palmolive in Athens in early July. Should be the start of a long period without purchasing anything shave related.

I'm out. 😞

By the way you know what this means for us fellow brothers, right?

#listening for @FoolishMortal 's arrival - ROLE CALL!! :ouch1:

Still in!

In recognition of @T Bone 's one year anniversary I broke out my Henson mild! It was a nice comfy shave and it performed way better than I remembered. Perhaps I have learned something :thumbsup:
IMG_20220814_151325.jpg

Still In!
Yesterday I honed up a John Heiffor 6/8 that was one of my final purchases before joining the August GRUME. Tested out a new Washita that I also acquired in July. I had lapped one side to 400, the other side to 800. After the 800 side the razor was tree topping quite aggressively so I decided to stop there, strop and give it a test run. Today’s shave was close, but not as comfortable as I would like. So I will go back to the stones, I may go straight to my black Ark finisher.

Same soap and brush as yesterday.

In other news, a brief moment of panic. I have traveled for business 3 times in the past month and will do so again this week. My travel razor has 7-8 shaves on it and was feeling a bit rough last week so decided to replace it. For a minute I couldn’t find any fresh ones and I had a horrified vision of dropping out of the GRUME over a disposable cartridge razor “Oh the horror!”😱😱 But then I found an unused one and all was right in the world again.
4EC8BE71-3935-4700-AB46-E198FC48A4C3.jpeg

Top Bottom