What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Date​
04.08.2022​
Main Focus:4/31 Days in GRUME (12.8% competed and still in)
213/216 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other:High Efficiency Razors Summer
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
All Aventus August
Prep:Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Cream:TGS Abysso
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Bowl:Proraso tub / Face lather
Brush:Unbranded travel brush
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) slanted
ATG (S-N) slanted

Touch up XTG (W-E) slanted
Razor:English Flat Bottom Tech
Blade:KCG (6)
Rating:9/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Easy running with my favourite blade. Smooth and comfortable on its 6th outing. Dependable and predictable shave. The Tech performed marvellous with the KCG. Seriously liking this newest addition to my collection. Fridays are reserved for my Fatips, but I need to resist not picking my Tech.

Abysso is an excellent soap for warmer days and so are the Proraso after shave and balm. Great lather with excellent gliding support. The unbranded brush helped too. I already noticed during my vacations it had excellent lathering qualities and today was no different. Just a little amount for me a long way.

Two passes was all it took and I did a third touch up to get even BBS levels (and to enjoy the Tech just a little longer!).

Still in. Today’s razor.
3AA33A0A-9254-4003-8FFF-CB542B8FF040.jpeg

@hopper_64 - I am learning about new blades and especially changing in their production. Bolzano’s come to mind and Personna’s as well. The one you used today, is that the Israeli Red or the German Red? And would you mind sharing your experiences with this blade?

Thanks,

Guido
I got this tuck as a gift from a friend, I think it's the Israeli version.
I have a newer plastic tuck with 10 blades as well, but haven't tried those yet.
For me this has been a mid-tier blade, tossed this one today after 8 shaves.

Hope this helps.
Jocke

I got this tuck as a gift from a friend, I think it's the Israeli version.
I have a newer plastic tuck with 10 blades as well, but haven't tried those yet.
For me this has been a mid-tier blade, tossed this one today after 8 shaves.

Hope this helps.
Jocke
Yes it does Jocke - thanks!

Guido

linty1

My wallet cries.
Still in, todays shave:

47EED904-02E4-46C2-98ED-B1C35F4A0C86.jpeg

This cc Italia cream is just so -delicious- smelling... I wonder if thats really little almond flecks in it? Used it as a preshave and it worked well, thats the last of it though, I really wanted to keep it to smell but I had too many little sample jars and tid bits that I needed to use them. Speaking of, was going around the mall and picked up (for free) too samples from Lush of their shaving creams:

8AD5732E-F20F-4BF0-BCB4-E08742DECFD3.jpeg

Had a gander around their store and.... its pricey stuff. But the samples will be put to good use.

Another good shave with my Tech and Feather. I mixed it up a little by using my Boar brush. Either way, I am especially happy with my Mike’s Natural soap after several weeks of a Barrister & Mann’s. Got a little blood on my neck clipping a blemish while pursuing the perfect shave. Fortunately I did not stir up the two bleeders I had yesterday. A BBS on shave #63 on my blade. (I have decided I qualify for a BBS if I get one on 96% of my face. The other 4% is impossible without scrapping off skin. Is this cheating?)

Day 4, 12.9% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Nacet Stainless #2
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Moved the Nacet into my favourite .84 Game Changer. Took my time, and (apart from taking evasive action around an insect bite) got a comfortable BBS. This is a good combination of sharp and smooth. I'll take it to 7 shaves and see how it's holding up.

Date
05.08.2022 Fatip Friday
Main Focus:5/31 Days in GRUME (16.1% competed and still in)
214/217 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other:High Efficiency Razors Summer
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
All Aventus August
Prep:Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Cream:TGS Amber Fougere
Aftershave:Floïd’s The Genuine
Balm:Nivea Balm
Bowl:Proraso tub / Face lather
Brush:Omega Super Badger
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) slanted
ATG (S-N) slanted

Touch up XTG (W-E) slanted
Razor:Fatip Special Edition OC
Blade:KCG (18)
Rating:10/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Ahhh…shaving bliss with my beloved Special Edition open comb and a smooth 18th run for this blade. Two passes was all it took and I liked it so much I did the touch up pass anyway.

Notes to today’s shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11874001

Still in 🙏🏽

Had to order Old Spice Whitewater. Been using that splendid AS lotion in abuncance. How I love that crisp, sharp sting. One of the benefits of using very aggressive DE razors is I get rewarded with that skin torture after almost every shave.

This unknown bakelite vintage slant delivers an incredibly close shave. And it's comfortable too. It looks rather crude: just a straight handle and a crooked head. No torsion in the head design, nothing special. But I'd shave side to side with any fancy slant and this tough old razor would show simplicity rules.

On the Nacet: about a year ago, I used it for the first time. Must have been paired in a razor that doesn't like this Russian Gillette, because I thought it tugged.
I now understand why it is praised by many, though. Very, very good blade in this slant.
That prooves two things: I tend to jump to conclusions and a seemingly perfect blade is often less than perfect in another razor.

7B66DC84-03FD-4A85-84C8-6B1F8384E9E1.jpeg

Still in
Yesterday evenings shave
Pre-Shave: Warm Shower
Brush: FS 3 band Silvertip Badger
Blade: Treet Platinum
Razor: Rockwell 6C (4)
Soap: SV Felce Aromatica
Post-Shave: Alum Block
SV Felce Aromatica ASL
Castle Forbes 1445 ASB
Castle Forbes 1445 Parfum

Lovely regulation BBS without any claret at all. The soap really is excellent in 4.3 guise.

Counting down to my holiday where hopefully I will not succumb to temptation 🤞🤞🤞
Until the next shave, stay safe all

Top Bottom