What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Day 1, 3.2% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 SB, Al Handle, Astra SS #2
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

I think this blade (Astra Blue) smooths out a bit on shave #2. I'd call it a comfortable DFS+.

During my month out, I've not bought anything very exciting. I ordered 100 Nacets, because of speculation that KCG blades might be rebadged Nacets. It will be interesting to test that out for myself.

I was considering a Lupo .72, but I'm already happy with the combination of GC.84P and light Windrose handle for everyday shaves, so no urgency to try another RazoRock head.
@South Dakota Guy added the KCG to a variety of other blades, including Nacet. Martine that will help in getting very similar blades without having to that a personal loan from the Central Bank of Schotland:

I have read the rebranded Nacet theory more than once, and the picture looks pretty close to it too. In post 27 he adds the comparison to the platinum Gillettes and there the resemblance is also striking.

Cheers,

Guido

Last edited:
Date​
02.08.2022 Tech Tuesday​
Main Focus:2/31 Days in GRUME (6.4% competed and easily still in)
211/214 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other:High Efficiency Razors Summer
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
All Aventus August
Prep:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Cream:The Alpha Men 2.0
Aftershave:Floïd The Genuine
Balm:Executive Man
Bowl:Proraso tub / Face lather
Brush:Omega Super Badger
Passes:WTG (NE-SW)
XTG (W-E) slanted
ATG (S-N)
Razor:English Flat Bottom Tech
Blade:Shark Super Chrome (11) - retired
Rating:9/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Notes to today’s shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11870222

Received a surprise gift from Bulgaria, thank you @ivan_101 :)

B64447DD-87F8-443B-A328-0099D9C6289C.jpeg

SOTD #1
First ever shave with Arko - Where oh where shall I begin?
The smell is familiar to me but I cannot place it definitively.
True story - passing the facilities at the beach yesterday evening provided the same aroma... :blushing:
Uh.
I do hope you can get past this picture.🙈

Not speaking of ARKO in particular, but I really wouldn't want to shave with a soap scented with a smell which needs to be "buried by an AS" (I'm sure this is a smart move though in case of Arko 😝), but to each their own. 😀
The good thing is I don't have to 😉 - but again, I hope you'll get used to it. But if not, you can always have a seat under the pineapple tree over there in Aventus August 😀.

Speaking of which, here's my SOTD:
20220801_154605-01-01.jpeg

Happy shaves!

Last edited:
Today (or rather someday this month) marks the 2nd year Anniversary when I started my wet shaving journey, and I'm very happy to share with you that my razor rotation is complete, and I'm calling it quits on any more razor purchase.

I'll hower be purchasing a starting out razor (Romer7 or Yaqi) for my Nephew (in his late teens), so that he too can enjoy the great shaves from early on.

Ps: this will be done later on, right now I'm fully committed to the GRUME.

Today's shave was with the gifted (and my most previous razor): Feather Artist Club razor

IMG_20220802_093327.jpg

A lovely 2 pass shave gave me a DFS shave; still need some improvement in technique in the neck region but no cuts or irritation.

Uh.

Not speaking of ARKO in particular, but I really wouldn't want to shave with a soap scented with a smell which needs to be "buried by an AS" (I'm sure this is a smart move though in case of Arko 😝), but to each their own. 😀
The good thing is I don't have to 😉 - but again, I hope you'll get used to it. But if not, you can always have a seat under the pineapple tree over there in Aventus August 😀.

View attachment 1498084
Happy shaves!
I actually found it a bit humorous once I made the scent connection - was not deterring.

I guess the A/S statement was more a testament to the strength that some splashes possess. I wasn’t expecting the Arko to dissipate that quickly nor the Stirling Green to steal the show.

Today’s splash selection will be more complimentary or even muted; I’m thinking Speick or Nivea 2 in 1.

Yesterday’s shave I lathered up 4 soaps and did 3 passes and a face wash. I had samples of St James Lavender & Geranium and Crowne & Crane Lavender & Cedar, along with tubs of Lavenwood from Shave Mercantile and Wood & Lavender shaving butter from A&E. Scent on St James was a bit too synthetic and unisex for my taste. The C&C was too lightly scented, which is an exception for that brand. The A&E and Shave Mercantile soaps were very similar in scent. Both are a woody lavender, meaning cedar wood forward. The performance of all were solid, but the A&E shave butter slickness/glide is outstanding. You have to load heavy though. Did face lathers with all 4. Used Vector with a Super Pro on 5th use and a variety of synthetic brushes. Followed up with A&E Wood & Labender rice water serum. Stay strong gents!
41405807-0910-4CFE-A462-ED617C6C3ADA.jpeg

Day 2. I‘ve decided to join the Soap of the Month Club to help draw down the amount of soaps. Also, to really get to know the ones I have when it comes time to restock. SAS shave today, I think this blade is reaching it‘s limit.
  • Pre-shave: Art of Shaving Unscented Pre-shave Oil
  • Brush: Simpson Chubby 1 Best Badger
  • Cream: Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar (SOTM)
  • Razor: Merkur Progress (4 pass, 3-3-3-1)
  • Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (5)
  • Aftershave: Tabac Aftershave Lotion

Uh.

View attachment 1498084
Happy shaves!
You take some beautiful pictures!

linty1

My wallet cries.
2A7A09DE-0B86-41F8-8F29-61EC949DAD97.jpeg

The soc mistura, a lovely brush. a bit of scrub to it and everything went well.... but... it wasn't what I was looking for today? I think I was wanting more softness, nothing against the brush just... its like getting an iced tea when what you really wanted was a soda. I'll see what happens next shave.

Top Bottom