What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

1) FoolishMortal - (SOTM), Arko August
2) Markdad2
3) Balin
4) bjm
5) markmc
6) Multum in parvo - Arko August
7) IVER
8) hopper_64
9) kjbarth - GRUYERE
10) ChriWilson - (SOTM)
11) Sandorfi (SOTM)
12) elmerphud
13) JAHE (All Aventus August)
14) sarir97
15) La Malice (Arko August)
16) Bobbyb
17) SharpieB
18) Stuart Ganis
19) Roedeer
20) Contact_vs_Feedback
21) Virtus3
22) Doti B
23) cryhavoc - Arko August
24) Guido75
25)Dodger59
26) LJBraaten
27) linty1
28)

Haven't been in one of these in a while, I closed a purchase maybe 3-4 days ago so waiting for that to arrive. Its good to see familiar names on the list, happy shaves.
Joining In!
2) Markdad2
3) Balin
4) bjm
5) markmc
7) IVER
8) hopper_64
9) kjbarth - GRUYERE
10) ChriWilson - (SOTM)
11) Sandorfi (SOTM)
12) elmerphud
14) sarir97
16) Bobbyb
17) SharpieB
18) Stuart Ganis
19) Roedeer
20) Contact_vs_Feedback
21) Virtus3
22) Doti B
24) Guido75
25)Dodger59
26) LJBraaten
27) linty1
28) 2bit_collie

Last purchase was made yesterday, I think it would be good to take a break!😀

Joining In!
2) Markdad2
3) Balin
4) bjm
5) markmc
7) IVER
8) hopper_64
9) kjbarth - GRUYERE
10) ChriWilson - (SOTM)
11) Sandorfi (SOTM)
12) elmerphud
14) sarir97
16) Bobbyb
17) SharpieB
18) Stuart Ganis
19) Roedeer
20) Contact_vs_Feedback
21) Virtus3
22) Doti B
24) Guido75
25)Dodger59
26) LJBraaten
27) linty1
28) 2bit_collie

Last purchase was made yesterday, I think it would be good to take a break!😀
And today’s shave:
38B90A38-5B67-4461-91C7-25BD4B6BC6E7.jpeg

Still in! First shave of August went way above expectation. I was in another thread discussing the first razor blade you used. Mine was the Merkur Super blade that came with my 34C. It went so bad, I went to a blade sampler and never looked back.

Fast forward 10 years, I purchased a Merkur Progress with a Father‘s Day gift card recently. Of course included was one of those dreaded blades. So I let it sit on the shelf. I guess I realized all along that it probably wasn’t the blade, but a newbie hacking at his face cartridge style that caused the bad experience. So I finally broke it out today, and the suspicions were confirmed, BBS with no irritation! Don’t know if they will be in the rotation, but they aren’t to be feared any longer.

• Pre-shave: Art of Shaving Unscented Pre-shave Oil
  • Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L Best Badger
  • Cream: Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar
  • Razor: Merkur Progress (4 pass, 3-3-3-1)
  • Blade: Merkur Super (1)
  • Aftershave: Proraso Green

Still in like Flynn! Honestly have so much stuff to use might stay in indefinitely. Would love to kill all the soap I have before buying more. Today I feel I could commit to it. I have the bulk of a kilo brick of cella, a few tubs of Sterling, a unopened tub of tabac and another one that is only 3/4 gone, some samples, and a puck of PAA. Also a fairly new chisled face GTB tub. Also have a unopened stick of Arko, and two sticks mashed into a tub. I'm seriously good for years. Might run out of blades at some point....

Joining In!
2) Markdad2
3) Balin
4) bjm
5) markmc
7) IVER
8) hopper_64
9) kjbarth - GRUYERE
10) ChriWilson - (SOTM)
11) Sandorfi (SOTM)
12) elmerphud
14) sarir97
16) Bobbyb
17) SharpieB
18) Stuart Ganis
19) Roedeer
20) Contact_vs_Feedback
21) Virtus3
22) Doti B
24) Guido75
25)Dodger59
26) LJBraaten
27) linty1
28) 2bit_collie
29) Brother Jack Goossen

Still in 🙏🏽

Happy to join August GRUME. June and July were so easy, I am kinda flabbergasted my first grumes were so different. So I expect to make it thrue this month too, but we'll see. Pride still comes before a fall and I'm not supposed to commit a cardinal sin anyway.

The wife is still in quarantine, it was extended to 10 days. She's much better, but rather grumpy.
While she was sleeping, I sneeked into the bathroom and had a perfect (as in perfect) shave, with my Swedish bakelite Swing. I keep forgetting how good the Personna Med Prep is. Fantastic combination.

676E1736-C5A3-421C-9082-444C9DAA4023.jpeg

SOTD #1
First ever shave with Arko - Where oh where shall I begin?

Scent - My puck was dated 09/2018. Given that, I did not find this puck to be overpowering nor offensive. The smell is familiar to me but I cannot place it definitively. I can pickup on why this soap is described as industrial; I also could describe this as clean and fresh. I can pick up the citronella finish, but I would not use that as a primary descriptor.

True story - passing the facilities at the beach yesterday evening provided the same aroma... :blushing:

Performance - I have the tendency to load soaps or bases unfamiliar to me rather, on the heavier side. Not obscenely heavy but definitely more than enough. This allows me to create a proper and dense lather without worry that it dries or thins out quickly. I have to say that it provided a very comfortable shave and the aroma dissipated quicker than say Tabac's would. I cannot rate the post-shave or what some have attributed to drying as I applied a balm afterward. I will add that I found that the soap dried at the tail end of each pass, when I finish on my chin. I'm sure this will self-correct as I get more dialed in; but I circumvent by using a wetter than normal razor. Using Stirling Green completely buried any residual trace of Arko scent...

Overall - Being this as my first use I have nothing to complain about; very positive and in this small tub form would make as a great travel soap. Fairly inexpensive for 90g, but I will reserve a full summary for end of month and within the Arko August thread linked below.
  • No Pre-Shave Oil
  • ARKO (SOTM) (Arko August)
  • Omega Pro 49 Boar
  • Weishi 9306p - Wilkinson TTO
  • Gillette PermaSharp (2)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Stirling Splash
  • Nivea Soothing (Sensitive) Post-Shave Balm
img_7909-jpg.1497795

Still in like Flynn! Honestly have so much stuff to use might stay in indefinitely. Would love to kill all the soap I have before buying more. Today I feel I could commit to it. I have the bulk of a kilo brick of cella, a few tubs of Sterling, a unopened tub of tabac and another one that is only 3/4 gone, some samples, and a puck of PAA. Also a fairly new chisled face GTB tub. Also have a unopened stick of Arko, and two sticks mashed into a tub. I'm seriously good for years. Might run out of blades at some point....
It sounds like you might be a candidate to join the Soap of the Month Club. :)

It sounds like you might be a candidate to join the Soap of the Month Club. :)
I'm in!

I kicked off GRUME with a Micromatic Monday. It didn’t go too well, matched my worse day of Shark Week. Out of the frying pan into the fire!
Took a week off to ride a Shark. Used the MMOC today. The 8th outing of my Gem coated blade is leaving my face a little irritated. After a few passes it also left behind a little blood. Although the Gem Razors no longer terrify me, I still have a ways to go on learning proper technique. I rate the shave SSA+.

Alright I managed to not fail on the first day ... yeah I know a heck of win.

August Shave 1/16

No of Arko Shave 1

Prep : Hot shower
Preshave : White Proraso preshave
Brush : Proraso Professional Boar
Soap : Arko Stick
Razor : Merkur HD 34 C
Blade : GSB (no clue 2/3 who knows)

Well second ever use of Arko, I know I am supposed to smell toilet cleaner and what's not, well this is chemical for sure and cheap but neither pleasant or unpleasant at the moment.

Not sure what I did but I managed a gusher on my left side neck where no hair grows and far from anything as well as one near my left eye where no hair grows and far from anything. Gentleman this is called pure talent, like it or not.

No irritation hello GSB good bye shark blade, but well the alum block was a treat. The Aqua Velva did its job

See you all later in the week

IMG-0388.jpg

Day 1, 3.2% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 SB, Al Handle, Astra SS #2
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

I think this blade (Astra Blue) smooths out a bit on shave #2. I'd call it a comfortable DFS+.

During my month out, I've not bought anything very exciting. I ordered 100 Nacets, because of speculation that KCG blades might be rebadged Nacets. It will be interesting to test that out for myself.

I was considering a Lupo .72, but I'm already happy with the combination of GC.84P and light Windrose handle for everyday shaves, so no urgency to try another RazoRock head.

Joining In!
2) Markdad2
3) Balin
4) bjm
5) markmc
7) IVER
8) hopper_64
9) kjbarth - GRUYERE
10) ChriWilson - (SOTM)
11) Sandorfi (SOTM)