What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in!
Quick Thursday shave

Cape 2000
Ogallala Bay Rum
Synth brush
5292B38C-CAAD-4937-9B4D-90FF660C5024.jpeg

Participating still.
I decided to mix it up a bit today. I took my favorite Postwar Tech and switched the baseplate for a Prewar Tech. It is definitely more aggressive with the greater bottom gap, and tugged a lot more on first and second passes. I had to be more mindful of a light touch, I got a small nick under my lip on my first pass (bleeding was very brief). I got almost as good a shave as with the Postwar, but with some irritation. This confirms my finding during Shark week: with a well used blade a milder razor is more effective and efficient (at least for me). In the end a CCS+. Not bad for the 69th shave in my Feather!

Day 11, 35.5% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Nacet Stainless #7
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

Back to the .84 Game Changer, for a comfortable BBS. I think this gives my skin an easier time than the "mild" edition, since there's less need to run it over the same spot.

That's what I call a smart and justified move, speaking of Tallow Tabac.:a14:
Ok. I'm biased. 😎

Well said!

MWF is a reliable workhorse that agrees with my skin, so I think having 5 refill pucks lined up is just common sense, even if there's no discontinuation/reformulation threat so far. :thumbup:

GRUME August Shave 7/16

No of Arko Shave 5

Prep : Hot shower
Preshave : None
Brush : Proraso Boar
Soap : Bol A Raser Monsavon
Razor : Merkur HD 34 C
Blade : Platinium (2)

Second shave with this set up, much less post shave irritation and cut ... there is always saturday

Date:12.08.2022 Razorine’s Revenge
Focused participations:12/31 Days in GRUME (38.7% completed, still in and holding on)
221/224 in 365 days of shaving (98.66%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
High Efficiency Razors Summer
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Razor:Razorine Flatboy (70 handle)
Blade:Gillette 365 (1)
Brush:Blue Aluminium Synthetic
Soap:Lavanda
Bowl:Proraso Green
Preshave:Cold splash
King C. Gillette Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) | Gillette Slant
XTG (W-E) | Gillette Slide
ATG (S-N) | Mostly Straight
Light touch ups
Efficiency:7/10 (25 minutes)
Quality:6/10 (Three weepers)
Comfort:8/10 (minor redness on the neck)
Effectiveness:9/10 (BBS)

Excellent shave and the Flatboy showed what an excellent effective yet smooth razor it is.

Notes from todays shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11883691

Last edited:
Honestly, I posted those pics as a reminder to myself as to why I do not need any more shaving equipment!!

The razors may be coming soon to a BST post!! :biggrin:
Good one - I have an internal coach that helps me to stay on course. I love her even more because of it! If it was me, my collection would mushroom daily. Although I have not shown your pictures yet to say: see, to be in GRUME I first need those levels of stock!

That will be a fine post on BST then because I see some lovely razors.

Thanks for your example and insights.

Cheers,

Guido

Still in! Day 12 and no missed shaves either.

Razor: Ralph Aust 6/8 this shoulderless design is sometimes referred to as Bismark style (after the Dovo Bismark). One of my few razors that was bought new as opposed to buying a beater from eBay. No regrets about the cost, Ralph makes great razors and this is my favorite style.
Brush: Semogue 1250 boar
Soap: A&E Peach&Cognac

I usually rotate razors every day and brushes/soap closer to once a week (not counting travel and days when I am short of time where I tend to switch to a stick soap and a synth brush). The Semogue and A&E gave excellent perforance this week, but time to move on, likely will switch tomorrow.

F3B18EB4-BEDB-4188-AC52-311DA15D016B.jpeg

SOTD #11

Great way to start welcoming the weekend, early morning shave with the house asleep.
One of my favorite brushes, simply brilliant and underrated imo.

I bolstered the third pass with a bit of La Toja; it's a common practice for me to use a couple glides of soap stick
to make the final touch-ups as luxe (or better) than the first pass.

Yummy fragrance mixture all around
  • No Pre-Shave
  • ARKO (SOTM) (Arko August)
  • Omega 10077
  • Gillette KCG
  • Gillette Platinum (Light)
  • No Astringent
  • Capt's Choice Lime Splash
  • Nivea Post-Shave Balm
IMG_7992.JPG

Top Bottom