What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

View attachment 1502587

Still in. This is the second sample I got from Lush, "Shaved Ice", its supposed to be a menthol cream. Smeared a little on my face and started to prep... remembering that my other sample was latherless, I went online mid to check and.... latherless :( No matter, wet things up, applied more and started to shave. Man after not using it a long while, this Asd2 is one mild razor. Bht everything went so smoothly I went for 1....2.... a three pass shave. It terms of cooling, its not bad? Def not Cryogen levels, but say a nice proraso level? Overall, this cream performs very well, I like it, save for the fact that it is latherless. Def would pick it over say a Cremo (original). Would I actually buy it? Maybe as a travel cream?
I would worry about a stained brush so a good thing that is brushless…

Don't be too hard on yourself - we've had people wash out on Day 2, and you made it further than that! GRUME is a lot harder than people think, especially starting out when you have to break the "buying" habit and create the "enjoying" habit. If you keep joining us, you'll get a bit further each month until it's actually (relatively) easy.

Others have given you encouragement - rightfully so - and the key is to make sure the trickle doesn't become a flood. You have the opportunity to go 30-for-31, which is nothing to dismiss out-of-hand.

Feel free to keep posting in the thread and we'll hope to see you in September.

Oh, right, the details - what put you out? [answered]

The trade is fair dinkum, so it was the RV brush that put you out. And as others said, it's a classy way to go! How 'bout them pics?

And when a brother or two falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTM, Arko August
2) @Markdad2
3) @Balin
4) @bjm
5) @markmc
6) @Multum in parvo - Arko August
7) @iver
8) @hopper_64
9) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
10) @ChriWilson - SOTM
11) @sandorfi SOTM
12) @elmerphud
13) @JAHE - All Aventus August
14) sarir97 - out (8/7: RV badger brush)
15) @La Malice - Arko August
16) @BobbyB
17) @SharpieB
18) @Stuart Ganis
19) @Roedeer
20) @Contact_vs_Feedback
21) Virtus3 - out (8/7: RR Lupo .95 OC and Timeless Ti handle)
22) @Doti B
23) @cryhavoc - Arko August
24) @Guido75
25) @Dodger59
26) @LJBraaten
27) @linty1
28) @2bit_collie
29) @Jack Goossen
Still in and loving it.

Been meaning to ask this for awhile: Do we answer the roll call by “liking” or posting “still in?”
Posting "still in" would be appreciated, but I'll take the "likes", too. As you can tell, though, there's no enforcement. Really, it's an opportunity to remind people to (a) check in or (b) call themselves out, if necessary, rather than just ghosting the thread. :)

Still in!
Back home so…
Torrey 6/8 in self-made scales
A&E Peach&Cognac
Semogue 1250

82D95F7F-7C0D-4F1A-81AC-794B3324B3E8.jpeg

Don't feel bad! I washed out of my first 3 GRUMES before finally landing one this January!

:biggrin1: I did wash out of my first year long sabbatical this year in May! I will give it another go next year. I have way too much stuff!
Sounds like failing the GRUME is part of the game somehow as for the year long sabbatical I am thinking about it, as I have way to much soap and cream for a year of use already ... now if only I had plenty of AS and blade ... mmm sounds like I need to do some shopping

Don't be too hard on yourself - we've had people wash out on Day 2, and you made it further than that! GRUME is a lot harder than people think, especially starting out when you have to break the "buying" habit and create the "enjoying" habit. If you keep joining us, you'll get a bit further each month until it's actually (relatively) easy.

Others have given you encouragement - rightfully so - and the key is to make sure the trickle doesn't become a flood. You have the opportunity to go 30-for-31, which is nothing to dismiss out-of-hand.

Feel free to keep posting in the thread and we'll hope to see you in September.

Oh, right, the details - what put you out? [answered]

The trade is fair dinkum, so it was the RV brush that put you out. And as others said, it's a classy way to go! How 'bout them pics?

And when a brother or two falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTM, Arko August
2) @Markdad2
3) @Balin
4) @bjm
5) @markmc
6) @Multum in parvo - Arko August
7) @iver
8) @hopper_64
9) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
10) @ChriWilson - SOTM
11) @sandorfi SOTM
12) @elmerphud
13) @JAHE - All Aventus August
14) sarir97 - out (8/7: RV badger brush)
15) @La Malice - Arko August
16) @BobbyB
17) @SharpieB
18) @Stuart Ganis
19) @Roedeer
20) @Contact_vs_Feedback
21) Virtus3 - out (8/7: RR Lupo .95 OC and Timeless Ti handle)
22) @Doti B
23) @cryhavoc - Arko August
24) @Guido75
25) @Dodger59
26) @LJBraaten
27) @linty1
28) @2bit_collie
29) @Jack Goossen
I’m new to badger brushes; for the price, the RV brush seemed like a no-brainer. But after reading about what ‘pure’ grade actually meant, I decided I wasn’t going to be happy with a prickly brush. The seller agreed to cancel and issue a refund. So I broke GRUME and have nothing to show for it. 😢

I’m new to badger brushes; for the price, the RV brush seemed like a no-brainer. But after reading about what ‘pure’ grade actually meant, I decided I wasn’t going to be happy with a prickly brush. The seller agreed to cancel and issue a refund. So I broke GRUME and have nothing to show for it. 😢
@FoolishMortal what is your take on this? Money didn't change hands, the product didn't arrive and wasn't used?

Sounds like failing the GRUME is part of the game somehow as for the year long sabbatical I am thinking about it, as I have way to much soap and cream for a year of use already ... now if only I had plenty of AS and blade ... mmm sounds like I need to do some shopping
I specifically did not join GRUME for December last year to stock up for the year long sabbatical. I bought alot of stuff and 1 jar of Tabac. I did not use Tabac until March, well because I have so much stuff! Well I loved Tabac, performance scent everything about it, lol. So my wipeout from the year long sabbatical was due to me being afraid all of the tallow Tabac would be sold out. I purchased enough Tallow Tabac to last at least a decade...
1660179460929.png

I am still not through my first jar I started in March and have 24 different soaps! I did have 30 but I have PIF'd 6 to friends and family!

I topped up on blades:
IMG_20220810_210348.jpg

And these are the razors and brushes I accumulated in just 1 year of wet shaving.
IMG_20220810_210243.jpg

So I am set for life!

Now my other soaps are in a different cabinet! Which will have to wait for another time!

So I guess my long winded post is more to say, if you are thinking about joining a sabbatical or GRUMES, you probably already have enough stuff that you do not need to stock up!! :hand:

Last edited:

@FoolishMortal what is your take on this? Money didn't change hands, the product didn't arrive and wasn't used?

I committed thoughtcrime (crimethink?) and broke the spirit, if not tenet of GRUME, so I deserve just B&B punishment.
I tend to agree with Sarir. Based on what's on the page, the reversal wasn't due to a change of heart regarding making a purchase; it was buyer's-remorse regarding the specific item purchased and fear of disappointment.

That said, I'll leave it to Sarir to determine his status. I will sanction a reinstatement if Sarir feels like he should remain and recants his statement above, though it sounds like he has made his decision.

I specifically did not join GRUME for December last year to stock up for the year long sabbatical. I bought alot of stuff and 1 jar of Tabac. I did not use Tabac until March, well because I have so much stuff! Well I loved Tabac, performance scent everything about it, lol. So my wipeout from the year long sabbatical was due to me being afraid all of the tallow Tabac would be sold out. I purchased enough Tallow Tabac to last at least a decade...
View attachment 1502763
I am still not through my first jar I started in March and have 24 different soaps! I did have 30 but I have PIF'd 6 to friends and family!

I topped up on blades:
View attachment 1502770
And these are the razors and brushes I accumulated in just 1 year of wet shaving.
View attachment 1502771
So I am set for life!

Now my other soaps are in a different cabinet! Which will have to wait for another time!

So I guess my long winded post is more to say, if you are thinking about joining a sabbatical or GRUMES, you probably already have enough stuff that you do not need to stock up!! :hand:
Lemme know if you want to trade away one of those sticks or refill pucks, but jeez, what could you possibly need in return? :eek2:

Top Bottom