What's new

August 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

linty1

My wallet cries.
5A51D2E5-6DCF-4A4F-9EC2-EB7E45EC2AB8.jpeg

Still in. Starting to use the two July Grume breakers, the brush is SUPER floppy (reminds me of the badger Kent bk 4's).. there was badger funk when I cleaned it, wondering it the knot is original or a reknot.

Not sure if I should reknot this one tbh, I guess if it doesn't shed? I'll stick with it.... maybe.

Still in. A much better shave today than last time, though I struggled again with the lather. We recently had a water outage and I wonder if something happened that's changed up the water a bit. I mean, I have extremely hard water anyway, but that's never affected my lather before. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong and just not realizing it. Anyway, a three pass shave with some touch up resulting in a low irritation BBS shave.

Timeless Bronze
Personna Platinum (1)
Unknown best badger
Moon Soaps Old School soap and AS balm

View attachment 1309607

Still in. Starting to use the two July Grume breakers, the brush is SUPER floppy (reminds me of the badger Kent bk 4's).. there was badger funk when I cleaned it, wondering it the knot is original or a reknot.

Not sure if I should reknot this one tbh, I guess if it doesn't shed? I'll stick with it.... maybe.
Interesting as I used my NOS vintage Rooney for the first time yesterday and it also reminded me of my Kent badger (BK8) But much floppier. Way too much loft IMO. Thinking about a reknot as well, but the knot was brand new until my first use…

9131F070-CB86-4556-BACA-C2EF00BCBB29.jpeg

linty1

My wallet cries.
Interesting as I used my NOS vintage Rooney for the first time yesterday and it also reminded me of my Kent badger (BK8) But much floppier. Way too much loft IMO. Thinking about a reknot as well, but the knot was brand new until my first use…

View attachment 1309723

I know what you mean, I have a feeling my knot was too so I kinda feel reluctant to just get rid of it. Let me know what you decide? I'll pm, chances are good I'll miss it you post it here.

I also am hesistant to get a new knot because, I always get the silvertip from wd, and while its an awesome knot, I already have a few of them and know how much to loft them etc) But then a silvertip from someplace else (tgn/maggards/ap/tnshave/shavemac) presents unknown/potential for screw up on my part.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210810_130416.jpg

Still in

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade Treet Platinum (2)
Soap: Cella
Brush: Yaqi Evil Zebra

Tonight to counter the bland performance of the Treet blade I decided to use the Muhle R41, it was that or making things more exciting by shaving with a bear in the bathroom (I could use my Yaqi Slant but the bear is probably less dangerous).
Using Cella again as it's one of my 3017 soaps and I really enjoy using it. The lather was thick and creamy and when I started shaving it just clicked, the blade toned down the R41 making the shave smooth but close. After three passes I was left with a BBS, much to my surprise.
Altogether a very enjoyable shave.

Well, my face is red. I don't just mean literally red, although that's true too. I used a Yaqi boar brush for the first time today, and it was about as rough as you'd think rubbing your face on a wild boar would be. I guess they break in after a while. Also it shed 8 hairs (I counted).

I used some of the last rim-scrapings of my Mike's lime, and my wonderful new Iwasaki tamahagane kamisori, the one that knocked me out of the June GRUME. It is perfect in every way, but it is 60mm, and my preferences run toward smaller sizes. I love it, but a very used-up 45mm version of the same razor is still my favorite of all time. I sure wouldn't mind a newer, less-used one of those.

I sold a razor on the forum for the first time, the Max Sprecher I mentioned here as being beautiful, and a great shaver, but not having my preferred (more acute) angle.

While innocently browsing another, not-razor forum, I saw an listing of a razor for sale that, translated to my reference point, read like this:

"Iwasaki tamahagane kamisori, in your absolute favorite size, with much much less hone wear than the one you have, for a remarkably low price that just happens to be what you cleared from selling your Max Sprecher."

I am not made of stone. The universe spoke, and I listened.

I'm out. Hope to see you in September.

You never know what will happen when the universe speaks and you don't listen. Better safe than sorry...even if it was early in the GRUME.

Please feel free to continue to play along from home and keep posting (if you wish).

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - Arko August
2) @Sinnbad11
3) @SharpieB
4) @JKar
5) @Roedeer - Arko August
6) @hopper_64
7) @Doti B
8) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE - Arko August
9) @Mike M
10) @linty1
11) @Dodger59
12) @12stones
13) @wmadoty - GRUYERE - ShArko August
14) @henrickd - GRUYERE
15) Herrenberg - out (8/7: Iwasaki tamahagane kamisori)
16) @RumpleBearskin - QUADSAB, Arko August
17) @‘Bout Time
18) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE, QUADSAB
19) @Timeclo
20) @pdieten - GRUYERE. Arko August
21) sarir97 - out (8/5: Tabac)
22) @Stuart Ganis
23) @mattps1
24) @Owen Bawn - Arko Sharko Whole Hog
25) @sandorfi
26) @FL shaver
27) @La Malice
28) @BobbyB
29) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Arko August

Still in.

Wolfman WR2 1.45 OC on 90mm WRH2 solid handle
Gillette Nacet (1)
Simpsons Tulip 3
Martin de Candre Original (Le Brain Bowl)
Saponifico Varesino Cubebe Aftershave

This morning was a DE razor shave. I've been battling a cold and thus a bit weak and tired, so I didn't think using a SR the wisest option. The shave in all respects was first-class, super smooth, and very close after 2 passes.

linty1

My wallet cries.
88886330-9FC6-47CA-A954-B8C1D08ADAC8.jpeg

Still in.

Went for the full 4 pass shave today, haven't done one of those in a long while, have family coming up for a few days so not sure if I'll have time. Actually didn't load enough and had to quickly squirt and whip a little Lucky Tiger over the mwf to finish the last pass.

Brush lost another hair during the shave. I'm still undecided on reknot or not. Going back to another brush is going to feel like shaving with a brick, seeing how floppy this one is.

Top Bottom