What's new

August 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

First shave of the month.
Still in

IMG-3103.jpg

Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Gillette Super Thin
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo 24mm
Soap: Razorock XXX
Aftershave: Stirling Orange Chill

I am in. I have enough blades, razors, soaps & creams, plus A/S to last past 31 Aug.

) FoolishMortal - Arko August
2) Sinnbad11
3) SharpieB
4) JKar
5) Roedeer - Arko August
6) hopper_64
7) Doti B
8) cryhavoc - GRUYERE - Arko August
9) Mike M
10) linty1
11) Dodger59
12) 12Stones
13) wmadoty - GRUYERE - ShArko August
14) henrickd - GRUYERE
15) Herrenberg
16) RumpleBearskin - QUADSAB, Arko August
17) ‘Bout Time
18) Jmp63 - GRUYERE, QUADSAB
19) Timeclo
20) pdieten - GRUYERE. Arko August
21) sarir97
22) stuartganis
23) mattps1
24) Owen Bawn - Arko Sharko Whole Hog
25) Sandorfi
26) FL shaver
27) La Malice
28) BobbyB

Day 1, 3.2% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Arko (for Arko August)
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #4
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

The shave with Arko is like MWF (my current gold standard), as it lathers up as easily, and performs well. Got a BBS face, acceptably smooth neck, and no user error.

Where it loses marks is post-shave, as it's drying and leaves a bit of sting. It pairs up better with a balm than an alcohol aftershave.

My home-made puck was aired-out for 2 weeks. The scent is like a laundry product, "clean" but nothing fancy.

Last edited:
Still in.

Somehow, during the last month, I had resolved not to shave with a razor I acquired in June. I don't think I was following Owen Bawn's example of superhuman restraint, but I might have been, it was pretty inspiring. It just seemed like the right thing to do, after the June flunk-out and mini-treewhale.

But now it's August, with a successful July GRUME under my belt, so I can shave with it.
1627951233402.png

That's a (pause to look up correct spelling) Heljestrand 4/8, with ivory scales. I got it off of eBay, sort of casually, and when it arrived, I was stunned at how awesome it seemed. That's not rational, but it was where I was. Perhaps not shaving with it in all of July was an attempt to postpone the moment when it would disappoint.

That moment arrived today, and whoa! What a great shave! I see now why these are sought-after. The steel seemed very hard, using my usual yardstick of "if I can hear each hair cut, the steel is hard." Absolutely extraordinary shave that has me now, 6 hours later, wondering when the stubble will make an appearance.

Kamisoris will probably always be my first love, but Heljestrands are now firmly in the second position. There's something about this steel that I have not experienced outside of Japanese steel, ever.

Still in
Last nights shave
Pre-shave: Warm shower
Brush: Omega S-Brush
Razor: Rockwell 6C (4)
Blade: Wizamet Polsilver 1st use
Soap: Kmart Seifen Lemongrass
Post shave: Alum Block
D R Harris Windsor AS Splash
Nivea Protect & Care ASB

Nice close shave with a couple of weepers. Bit of sting with the old alum but shave was BBS. 3 pass plus touch ups 😎😎😎😎
Now to show restraint while abroad on holiday 🤞🤞🤞

Top Bottom