What's new

AUGUST 2019 SCORES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I received a small package from Dr. Jon's. I picked up Bandit Limited Edition Vol. 3 Shave Soap & Essentials Lemongrass & Geranium Aftershave Tonic. The wife really liked the aftershave. I will try the soap today. I am such a sucker for cars, Trans Ams, Pontiacs, and smokey and the Bandit.
Steve

IMG_5787.jpg

After a few months buying hiatus, I'm back.

Blades- Gillette Rubie Plus (5)

Shaving Soap
*Meissner Tremonia Dark Limes
*Uncle Jon's Silk Road

After Shave Splash- Australian Private Reserve Winterfall

I've had the red and green Enders for a while, but the yellow one has eluded me.

Out of the blue, a user from another forum PM'd me telling me how he'd just acquired a yellow one via this Etsy listing for $8 shipped.

I congratulated him and just mentioned that the yellow one was the one I was looking for.

Seemingly without hesitation, he replied stating he wanted to gift it to me. Taken back, I readily accepted his offer, and offered to pay him. He declined, and I don't think he'd mind my quoting him:

I have already had green one. If I keep yellow one, I will spend lots of time to find red one to complete all colors. i really prefer to send you yellow one.

What a nice guy! I mean $8 was a great deal, but for him to pass this on to me really warms my heart.

He took it a step further and polished it up prior to shipping it to me.

It arrived today, and it's in beautiful shape. I followed my usual routine by applying an extra layer of shine by way of Zaino Auto Polish, and here you go!

proxy.php

proxy.php

And here it is alongside the red and green:

proxy.php

proxy.php

For those that don't know, these aren't just pretty faces. They are excellent shavers! As is commonly done, I use the readily available Schick Proline B-20. You need one vintage Durham-Enders blade. Packs are easily found on Etsy or Ebay. You trim the edge (or grind it down) by roughly >1 mm. You then place the Proline in the head using the exposure you choose. Then slide the blunted Enders blade behind it until is clicks, thereby holding the Proline in place. NOTE: The blade must be the B-20s, or something of comparable width. The ACs and other injector blades are too wide.

This sounds like more trouble that it's worth, but it's actually quite simple. Once you've made the "shim", you don't have to do that again. And while sliding the Proline into place may sound precarious and random, there are landmarks in the head that can be lined up visibly through the holes in the Proline. Since I've been going back and forth between the green and red razors using the same blade, I've gotten accustomed to it such that I can load the blade at least as quickly as I can load a 3-piece razor. Once you have the blade in place, the Proline lasts a good while. I have 5 shaves under this Proline (head and face shaves) and it's showing no evidence for slowing down. I estimate I'll get 10 shaves at least. (Comparatively, I get 14 from my benchmark Personna 74s when using my Schick Injector. As you probably know, the Personna 74 tungsten blades are well known for their longevity, hence my benchmark).

Today I received a small package from Dr. Jon's. I picked up Bandit Limited Edition Vol. 3 Shave Soap & Essentials Lemongrass & Geranium Aftershave Tonic. The wife really liked the aftershave. I will try the soap today. I am such a sucker for cars, Trans Ams, Pontiacs, and smokey and the Bandit.
Steve

View attachment 1012835
Is the Dr. Jon's v3 Bandit significantly better than the original release, or have you had the opportunity to compare?

Is the Dr. Jon's v3 Bandit significantly better than the original release, or have you had the opportunity to compare?

Hi Matt. I only have this version. With so many different soaps in my den, I avoid just purchasing for new formulations. I have used it twice and enjoyed it both shaves. I find Dr. Jon's performs well, is thirsty, and you really need to work their soaps to load the brush. Probably since I typically use softer croaps. Nothing bad but it just takes a bit longer. I was disappointed when I ordered because I like the sample of 1803 I have. I was going to order a soap and aftershave bundle of the 1803, but they discontinued it. I thought that was one of their signature scents and didn't expect it to go away. Oh well. Sorry I could not be of more help. I don't know the formulation of the Flowers in the Attic, or two Sunday Funday soaps I have, but they all seem very similar. They may all be the latest, but all perform well and are a pleasure to use.
Steve

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
They look beautiful Matt. Your photos are always amazing. I was using your SOTD pics the other day to show my wife the razor of my hunt - the Type F. She agreed you are quite talented with the camera. Enjoy those shaves my friend.
Steve

I've had the red and green Enders for a while, but the yellow one has eluded me.

Out of the blue, a user from another forum PM'd me telling me how he'd just acquired a yellow one via this Etsy listing for $8 shipped.

I congratulated him and just mentioned that the yellow one was the one I was looking for.

Seemingly without hesitation, he replied stating he wanted to gift it to me. Taken back, I readily accepted his offer, and offered to pay him. He declined, and I don't think he'd mind my quoting him:

What a nice guy! I mean $8 was a great deal, but for him to pass this on to me really warms my heart.

It arrived today, and it's in beautiful shape. I followed my usual routine by applying an extra layer of shine by way of Zaino Auto Polish, and here you go!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

For those that don't know, these aren't just pretty faces. They are excellent shavers! As is commonly done, I use the readily available Schick Proline B-20. You need one vintage Durham-Enders blade. Packs are easily found on Etsy or Ebay. You trim the edge (or grind it down) by roughly >1 mm. You then place the Proline in the head using the exposure you choose. Then slide the blunted Enders blade behind it until is clicks, thereby holding the Proline in place. NOTE: The blade must be the B-20s, or something of comparable width. The ACs and other injector blades are too wide.

This sounds like more trouble that it's worth, but it's actually quite simple. Once you've made the "shim", you don't have to do that again. And while sliding the Proline into place may sound precarious and random, there are landmarks in the head that can be lined up visibly through the holes in the Proline. Since I've been going back and forth between the green and red razors using the same blade, I've gotten accustomed to it such that I can load the blade at least as quickly as I can load a 3-piece razor. Once you have the blade in place, the Proline lasts a good while. I have 5 shaves under this Proline (head and face shaves) and it's showing no evidence for slowing down. I estimate I'll get 10 shaves at least. (Comparatively, I get 14 from my benchmark Personna 74s when using my Schick Injector. As you probably know, the Personna 74 tungsten blades are well known for their longevity, hence my benchmark).

Beautiful collection, Matt.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This posting — photo shoot and story — is just a joy. Thanks, Matt.
Enjoy your rainbow razors!

They look beautiful Matt. Your photos are always amazing. I was using your SOTD pics the other day to show my wife the razor of my hunt - the Type F. She agreed you are quite talented with the camera. Enjoy those shaves my friend.
Steve

Beautiful collection, Matt.

This posting — photo shoot and story — is just a joy. Thanks, Matt.
Enjoy your rainbow razors!
Thank you, lady and gentlemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom