What's new

Audio when streaming netflix to the TV

First off, I'm no video/audio-phile, so please excuse my ignorance in advance. Yesterday, I had my first flat screen/HDTV delivered to my house...the LG 42LD550, and it came with a wi-fi adapter (USB adapter that plugs into the TV) so that I can stream netflix to the TV via wireless router.

So I get it all hooked up yesterday, and plug in the adapter for the wi-fi...I get it all configured, and viola, we have netflix streaming to the TV...and it looks sharp. Then I thought, "um...how do I hook up my receiver so that when I stream netflix via wi-fi, I can get better sound than through the TV speakers?" :huh:

I haven't answered that question yet, so I'm here asking anyone tech-savvy for some advice. Sitting here at work, I'm thinking about the fact that there is an optical out from the TV, and i haven't tried that yet. Should that work, or is this simply a technology limitation that I'll have to get over?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

You can use the output from the TV to go into your reciever.
Look at both the back of the TV and the reciever and let us know what you've got.
Don't spend a lot of money on cables.

You can use the output from the TV to go into your reciever.
Look at both the back of the TV and the reciever and let us know what you've got.
Don't spend a lot of money on cables.

On the back of the TV you should find RCA jacks (round ones like those on the back of your receiver) marked audio output. The right one is normally red, the left one black. Connect them to one of the high-level inputs on your receiver (not the ones marked "phono"). If you have trouble finding them, your TV manual will have a diagram.

Probably every input to your TV will have the audio routed to these jacks so you can also use your receiver for all your sources. It will probably sound way better than the TV.

FWIW I think it's more cost-effective to use two good stereo speakers for TV than five mediocre ones but that's my subjective preference.

If you migrate to an audio/video receiver, all the sources will plug into the receiver. The sources would be routed from that receiver to the TV and speakers.

If, heaven forbid, your TV does not have audio output jacks, get a Roku for $100 and connect it to your receiver for Netflix. Have fun!

Thanks for the tips, guys. Optical out from TV to optical in on the Onkyo receiver worked like a charm.

Cheers!

TV speakers are usually very tinny and of low quality. In our living room, I have a Cambridge SoundWorks 2.1 speaker system that was originally made for a PC and cost about $89 or so. It has a subwoofer and 2 small satellite speakers. It has a 2.5" audio input, and our TV has a 2.5" headphone out jack, so I just have a cable connecting those 2, and it sounds great -- the full theater experience in a small package. And I don't even have a stereo receiver, but I'd like to get one eventually.

A great place for cables is monoprice.com. I've been buying cables/adapters/chargers/mice from them for years. They have 3 foot HDMI cables for $2.40, plus their shipping is reasonably priced -- like $2 for a small order.

Last edited:
Top Bottom