What's new

Attention friends of The Brown Leaf!

Joel has kindly offered B&B members who participate in The Brown Leaf forum, as well as the Cafe, their own sections in the Review aria. This is conditional upon participation. We have to post 10 reviews within a reasonable period of time. I made the statement that pipe and cigar guys love writing reviews. So lets have at it!

Reviews should be posted in the Durables section of the Review aria to make it easier for Joel to separate out when we hit our mark, and I would very much like to see it grow well beyond that. I'll be posting a review later today, I'd encourage all of you to do likewise.
:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Please read the Posting Guidelines for reviews to help you understand the requirements for posting there. The only addition I would make is that reviews from novice pipe and cigar smokers can be helpful if framed in that context. For example a new pipe smoker who has found a tobacco that made the learning process easier and more enjoyable, would be appropriate. But experience should be made clear to the reader, context matters.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Joel has kindly offered B&B members who participate in The Brown Leaf forum, as well as the Cafe, their own sections in the Review aria. This is conditional upon participation. We have to post 10 reviews within a reasonable period of time. I made the statement that pipe and cigar guys love writing reviews. So lets have at it!

Reviews should be posted in the Durables section of the Review aria to make it easier for Joel to separate out when we hit our mark, and I would very much like to see it grow well beyond that. I'll be posting a review later today, I'd encourage all of you to do likewise.
:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Please read the Posting Guidelines for reviews to help you understand the requirements for posting there. The only addition I would make is that reviews from novice pipe and cigar smokers can be helpful if framed in that context. For example a new pipe smoker who has found a tobacco that made the learning process easier and more enjoyable, would be appropriate. But experience should be made clear to the reader, context matters.
James:
I already have 4 Cohiba Cigar Reviews in the "Consumables (Reviews)" section;

My Cohiba (Cuban) Exquisto Review.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=176904

My Cohiba (Cuban) Lanceros Cigar Review.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=176902

My Cohiba (Cuban) Coronas Especiales Cigar Reveiw.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=176899

My Cohiba (Cuban), Siglo III Cigar Reveiw.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=176897

Christopher
proxy.php

I don't understand why we'd want this in the Brown Leaf. Tobacco Reviews has the pipe smokers covered in much greater detail than we will likely ever get. I'm sure there are similar sites for cigars. It makes more sense for the Tea and Coffee people where info can be much harder to come by.

Honestly, we'd probably be better off encouraging our members to post their reviews to the more commonly used hobby-specific sites.

I don't understand why we'd want this in the Brown Leaf. Tobacco Reviews has the pipe smokers covered in much greater detail than we will likely ever get. I'm sure there are similar sites for cigars. It makes more sense for the Tea and Coffee people where info can be much harder to come by.

Honestly, we'd probably be better off encouraging our members to post their reviews to the more commonly used hobby-specific sites.

For pipe tobacco that is somewhat true but there isn't a site like that for cigars that I am aware of or for pipes themselves, or pipe furniture, or pipe and cigar accessories, or humidors... well you get the picture. At least not on the scale of Tobacco Reviews. There are other smokers forums where members can discuss those things, but many do not have the organized review engine available to us here.

Why would The Badger and Blade encourage it's members to go away? There are more active tea and coffee forums why do you post in The Cafe? There are many pipe and cigar forums why bother with The Brown Leaf at all? I think this forum is pretty special. There is a decorum here that is rare, not just in the online community, but in much of life. And I for one would find more value in a single review from someone from whom I've read discussions ranging in topic from SS to BBQ sauce, and come to know, than a hundred miscellaneous reviews elsewhere.

Of course participation is by no means mandatory, you don't have to post if you don't want to, but I'd be interested to hear what you have to say if you did.

Last edited:
James:
I already have 4 Cohiba Cigar Reviews in the "Consumables (Reviews)" section;

My Cohiba (Cuban) Exquisto Review.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=176904

My Cohiba (Cuban) Lanceros Cigar Review.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=176902

My Cohiba (Cuban) Coronas Especiales Cigar Reveiw.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=176899

My Cohiba (Cuban), Siglo III Cigar Reveiw.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=176897

Christopher
proxy.php
I saw those, good work:thumbup1:. But I think we'll need to get new posts to get our own section. So if there is anything else you'd like to review feel free.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
For pipe tobacco that is somewhat true but there isn't a site like that for cigars that I am aware of or for pipes themselves, or pipe furniture, or pipe and cigar accessories, or humidors... well you get the picture. At least not on the scale of Tobacco Reviews. There are other smokers forums where members can discuss those things, but many do not have the organized review engine available to us here.

Why would The Badger and Blade encourage it's members to go away? There are more active tea and coffee forums why do you post in The Cafe? There are many pipe and cigar forums why bother with The Brown Leaf at all? I think this forum is pretty special. There is a decorum here that is rare, not just in the online community, but in much of life. And I for one would find more value in a single review from someone from whom I've read discussions ranging in topic from SS to BBQ sauce, and come to know, than a hundred miscellaneous reviews elsewhere.

Of course participation is by no means mandatory, you don't have to post if you don't want to, but I'd be interested to hear what you have to say if you did.
James:
+ 1 and I agree with you 200%. :thumbsup:

Christopher
proxy.php

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose

Because I like to read what other people think. Sometimes I agree with them and sometimes I don't, but that is just one more way to advance our brotherhood here on B&B. It would be nice if people would post their reviews in BOTH places, that way non members can benefit on TR and other sites, but having the connection here makes it a little more interesting. And besides, I know the gentleman at B&B have very discerning taste, unlike some of the buffoons on some other sites.

So, is Joel offering prosectorial immunity for those Americans who review items from a certain island in the Caribbean? :tongue_sm

Way to twist my words. That wasn't what I was saying at all.

I wasn't trying to twist your words at all, however if people are posting elsewhere then they are not here. If we, the stews or mods, encourage members to do that then we have sent members away instead of trying to support their interests here. The policy of the B&B, as I understand it, is try to encourage members to use the resources here and to make them feel as welcome as much as possible. I think we have the ability to do excellent reviews here of many items, some that aren't covered in other organized review engines. Pipes and cigars have always been a part of the review engine listed under consumables and durables as long as I have been a member, although underutilized. I'm sorry if I said anything hurtful or demeaning in any way, that was never my intention. It was only to say why I thought it worthwhile to post reviews here. Your post seemed to say that it was pointless to have that resource here for pipe and cigar enthusiasts. It was my intention to respectfully disagree and perhaps to persuade. It would appear that I failed on both counts and instead managed to offend instead, for that I am truly sorry.

I've seen comments in The Cafe forum and elsewhere where people are specifically seeking opinions from B&B members because they trust the members here. That's good enough reason to put something up. I don't think there's much point in competing with the very good tea sites out there (and, yes, they do exist, and several) but it's good to have some basics up for people just starting out that would rather rely on us less informed folks. Maybe it's all just between friends this way and seems less intimidating.

afterthought:
It occurs to me that B&B is a pretty competitive place for puerh reviews if you go through the nearly 5000 posts in the [thread=59712]SOTD- sheng of the day[/thread] thread. Who knows what'll happen with The Brown Leaf forum in time.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think some folks have missed out on one of the greatest resources B&B has to offer, and that is the pre-screening of information on a wide variety of topics by some of the most knowledgeable guys you'll find anywhere- our members.

If you want to buy a knife, or a hat, pen, flashlight, or any of dozens of other items, you can either go to the respective websites dedicated to those subjects and pour over the myriad posts, guides, and articles, or you can come here, where you can be assured that the info you receive is the very best available. This allows the newbie to glean valuable insights from guys whose opinions he already trusts.

If I ever need a good shirt, I'm going to the haberdashery. If I ever need a good pen (after I learn how to write) I'm asking here first. I'm confident that the many folks who have broadened their horizons by participating in some of the myriad activities they discovered here were not disappointed.

Why would we ever want to stop this?

I think this forum is pretty special. There is a decorum here that is rare, not just in the online community, but in much of life. And I for one would find more value in a single review from someone from whom I've read discussions ranging in topic from SS to BBQ sauce, and come to know, than a hundred miscellaneous reviews elsewhere.

I think some folks have missed out on one of the greatest resources B&B has to offer, and that is the pre-screening of information on a wide variety of topics by some of the most knowledgeable guys you'll find anywhere- our members.

If you want to buy a knife, or a hat, pen, flashlight, or any of dozens of other items, you can either go to the respective websites dedicated to those subjects and pour over the myriad posts, guides, and articles, or you can come here, where you can be assured that the info you receive is the very best available. This allows the newbie to glean valuable insights from guys whose opinions he already trusts.

If I ever need a good shirt, I'm going to the haberdashery. If I ever need a good pen (after I learn how to write) I'm asking here first. I'm confident that the many folks who have broadened their horizons by participating in some of the myriad activities they discovered here were not disappointed.

Why would we ever want to stop this?

I agree! Sums it up really. :thumbup1:
I will post some reviews but I'm loving these Cohibas i've got atm and it will be a while before I get some other types.

- Aaron

Last edited:
I don't think the Review format is very conducive to this while the *OTD is. The constant additions to a small set of subscribable threads makes it easier for a new person to see what others are eating/drinking/smoking/wearing/shining/etcing in an easy fashion while the reviews mean you have to constantly troll the review section.

As as fairly constant OTD poster in several areas of this site and a one-time n00b, I find them way more helpful. Take it or leave it. I'm not trolling and I'm not asking anyone to leave, not post, change their heathen ways, or admit there are other places online that might have more/better content on subjects.

Top Bottom