What's new

Attention Fellow-Fanatics: Please Describe Your Shaving Routine

I do get that. I think some people need to be routined and ritualised in what they do, and therefore depend on the change of apparatus and products to give them a feeling of variety.

I think one of the reasons that I haven't fallen in any of the shaving related rabbit holes, is that I already have variety in my shaves every day, and depend on the apparatus and products to afford me a feeling of consistency, that others get from their rigid routines.

Strange isn't it, how so many of us need both a feeling of consistency and repeatability, plus an otherwise conflicting feeling of variety in our shaves. I'd get more bored sticking to the same routine than the same kit. I'd rather wear the same boots everyday, and explore a different path, than walk the same path every day and just change the shoes. There's one of the reasons I chose the AimlessWanderer moniker ;)

Well you may be a wanderer, but judging by your clear thinking, I doubt if you're aimless.

1. Wash face with mild soap and warm water; leave lower part of face damp;
2. Apply a few drops of shaving oil to area to be shaved;
3. Fill basin with hot water - while it fills, put small amount of soap into shaving bowl and lather with Atomic Rocket synthetic;
4. Lather face and shave WTG with ATT SE1 and Schick Proline blade;
5. Rinse face with hot water, relather, shave ATG;
6. Rinse face with hot water, relather as necessary, touch-up as necessary (mostly XTG);
7. Rinse face with cold water;
8. Apply alum;
9. Take a shower;
10. Apply small amount of balm to entire face;
11. Clean brush, bowl, razor, shaving theatre;
12. Get dressed;
13. Apply generous amount of AS splash.

1. Put my brush in the sink to soak.
2. Take a shower
3. Face lather some Proraso Green Croap
4. 3 passes with R41/GSB or Feather
5. Warm water rinse
6. Cold water rinse

That's it. Same thing every day.

1. Put my brush in the sink to soak.
2. Take a shower
3. Face lather some Proraso Green Croap
4. 3 passes with R41/GSB or Feather
5. Warm water rinse
6. Cold water rinse

That's it. Same thing every day.

There's something "right" about Proraso Green isn't there? I have other makes that perform and smell better, but I keep coming back to PG in my rotation. I guess it's like those times you just feel like a good hamburger instead of a fancy meal.

An R41 with a Feather? You must have steel skin and steel nerves, ha ha.

There's something "right" about Proraso Green isn't there? I have other makes that perform and smell better, but I keep coming back to PG in my rotation. I guess it's like those times you just feel like a good hamburger instead of a fancy meal.

An R41 with a Feather? You must have steel skin and steel nerves, ha ha.

I just really like the scent and chill of Proraso Green. No, no steel skin or nerves here: imagined viciousness of said razor/blade way overblown in my opinion. This all works for me so I stick with it. I also got off the aftershave kick quite awhile ago too, so that's no longer part of my daily routine. Keeping it pretty basic these days.

I always do 4 passes and it takes me 5-6 minutes

After my hot shower (during which I wash my face and stubble well with regular soap) I simply re-wet my face with hot water and put on some shaving foam (usually Proraso green) from a can.

Than I take my trusty Mercur 34c (loaded with a Feather or a Persona or a Shark blade) and do a quick 4 pass shave (with the grain,across to the right,across to the left and against the grain).

The secret is to shave SMALL areas (around 3 sq cm) and perform ALL passes at the same time rewetting your face w/ a bit of hot water after each pass thus eliminating relathering.

So what I do is shave a 3 sq.cm area w/ the grain with shaving foam on it and than immediately re-wet the SAME area with a bit of hot water (I simply dip my finger into hot water and drag it over the particular area on my face) and shave the same area across the grain to the right than re-wet and shave the same area across the grain to the left and than re-wet and shave the same against the grain (yes the water reactivates the "invisible film" the shaving foam leaves and provides plenty of glide and slickness).

Than I move to the next area and do the same all over again ( I start on my half right cheek under my ear,move to the other half closer to my nose,moove to the right side of my neck than move to my left cheek and left side of the neck and leave my nose & mouth/chin areas for last)

I do this VERY fast (I have been shaving with a DE for more than 30 years so I have very good technique) and this way I do a complete 4 pass shave in around 5-6 minutes.

I have been shaving like this since 1980 and the result is BBS everytime .

Four passes in 5 minutes? I'm impressed, and I don't impress easily.

1. I hop out of the shower
2. Rub a bit of organic extra virgin olive oil into my beard while it is still wet
3. Lather up with a shaving soap I make from organic oils and unrefined organic Shea Butter (crazy-good to shave with)
4. I do a 2-pass and then a cleanup of any remaining spots that need extra attention. After a lot of trial-and-error, and experimenting, I find that my face is best shaved with a combination of a straight razor, and a DE. Each of these are best for different areas of my face. I am a woodworker, and I like to use the best tool for the job... and I finally came to realize that this is true for my shaving experience. So I lay out whatever straight razor I want to use that day, and same with my DE. I mix it up, but always have 1 of each for every morning's shave.
5. After I finish I will rinse and lay down a bit of EVOO on my face, or I use an after shave oil I put together with natural organic fragrance oils and a tiny bit of the EVOO. Then I pat my face dry. It sure feels good all day long. No razor irritation. And usually I don't go for BBS, but rather a DFS. This whole routine doesn't take long at all, so I can do it on work mornings when I have limited time.

0D5AB325-C8E5-4954-B519-98AAFC36D38E.jpeg
I let my daugther pick my razor, give it a quick pass on 8000k then 12000k stones.

Strop my razor then head for the shower.

I let hot water run down my face for a few seconds, spit water on my mirror to defog it. Then shave. Every few strokes I run more hot water for the next area to shave.

2 pass shave.

Dry, clean with leather and oil before storing for next time.

Once in a while I’ll do a 3rd dry pass with a wedge after storing my razor.

Choose the razor and blade i want to use and head for the bathroom.
Soak brush in lather bowl in hot water
Shower
Choose my soap/croap/cream and build the lather in the bowl
Two pass shave, both atg.
Cold water rinse
Alum. Left on while I clean and store equipment.
Cold water rinse
Towel dry.
Choose as/balm and apply.
Leisurely 15-20 min.

1. I hop out of the shower
2. Rub a bit of organic extra virgin olive oil into my beard while it is still wet
3. Lather up with a shaving soap I make from organic oils and unrefined organic Shea Butter (crazy-good to shave with)
4. I do a 2-pass and then a cleanup of any remaining spots that need extra attention. After a lot of trial-and-error, and experimenting, I find that my face is best shaved with a combination of a straight razor, and a DE. Each of these are best for different areas of my face. I am a woodworker, and I like to use the best tool for the job... and I finally came to realize that this is true for my shaving experience. So I lay out whatever straight razor I want to use that day, and same with my DE. I mix it up, but always have 1 of each for every morning's shave.
5. After I finish I will rinse and lay down a bit of EVOO on my face, or I use an after shave oil I put together with natural organic fragrance oils and a tiny bit of the EVOO. Then I pat my face dry. It sure feels good all day long. No razor irritation. And usually I don't go for BBS, but rather a DFS. This whole routine doesn't take long at all, so I can do it on work mornings when I have limited time.

You make your own products, very cool.

Last edited:
Here's my routine. Not much variation except in aftershave. The 1-minute loading might seem excessive, but the resulting lather works great with the sharp and unforgiving Feather Professional blades. And at €25 to €30 for a Cella brick which lasts me about 2 years I feel I can indulge in a bit of lather excess :)

• Hardware/Software
    • Razor: Feather Artist Club DX in teak
    • Blade: Feather Professional (PB-20)
    • Brush: Shavemac 24x50mm 2-band silvertip
    • Soap: Cella (from the liter brick)
    • Aftershave: One of 9 splashes and balms, Proraso Green splash used most often
  • Preparation
    • Warm shower or warm water rinse
    • Soak brush in warm water for a minute
  • Lather
    • Shake excess water from the brush (damp, not wet brush) and dip tip (ca 0.5cm) of the brush in water
    • Load soap for about one minute until the generated lather becomes firm
    • Face lather for about 2 minutes, adding water if needed by dipping the tip of the brush in water
  • Shave
    • Shave cheeks and neck with the grain
    • Rinse with warm water and relather
    • Shave neck against the grain, cheeks and jawline across the grain
  • Post-shave
    • Rinse face with warm water
    • Pat-dry face
    • Apply AS balm or splash

Okay, how boring is this? I decide whether to use Barbasol or Noxema shaving cream. Then I look at my small but growing instruments of shave. Draw hot water . Squirt shaving cream on fingers , then a slight dip into the hot water, and apply.

My results have improved by attending to the areas where I used to get less than a good result.

The finishing touch is to apply the Aqua Velva.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You make your own products, very cool.
It is pretty easy to learn how to make your own products, and you can then tailor your products to what you like best. You can easily make a shaving soap/croap that is better than anything you can buy off the shelf - significantly better. It is not expensive. And I like the fact that all ingredients (even the natural fragrance oils) that I use are organic natural oils (no harmful chemicals). My skin feels so amazing afterwards.

I keep it simple.
I shower, wash my face with whatever soap i have. Lately its been lever 2000 with aloe.
After showering i run the hot tap until its hot. Rinse my brush, an omega boar. Give it little shake load whatever soap i decide. Face lather most of the time i do not need to add more water but there are times i was overly zealous about shaking the brush. Grab my razor lately ive been enjoying a 56 flair tip with a Wilkerson sword blade. Rise under hot water. Shave while rinsing the razor after a pass on each side of the razor. I always go for a three pass shave. Rise with cold water after the third pass. Pat dry my face. Rinse out the brush. Brush my teeth. Apply whatever aftershave or balm i choose.

Fill sink & mug with hot water
Soak badger brush in mug
Shower
Dry off leaving lower face damp
Apply glycerin soap to face & neck, leave on at least a couple of minutes
Get shaving gear ready
Make lather & apply to face (don't rinse glycerin soap prior to applying lather)
Do 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG)
Warm water rinse between passes & re-lather
After 3rd pass, rinse, re-lather & touch-ups
Cold water rinse
Apply alum to damp face, let set while I clean razor, mug, & brush
Rinse alum
Dry face & apply WH
Let dry & apply AS
Enjoy the day!

Top Bottom