What's new

Attention Darwin Razor Owners

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Those are quite honestly the most beautiful DE razors I've ever seen.

I'm not an owner yet... but just wait till I get some disposable income... How do they shave?

I sent a Darwin Standard (and a Deluxe for a couple of visits) on a pass-around last year to try to answer just that question. You can read about it here.

Took my newly acquired Darwin Adjustable with me on my travels. Shaved this morning. All I can say is superb. I will miss the Aristocrats (traded for the adjustable) but the shave quality of the Darwins plus their aesthetics make the sacrifice well worth while. Hope fully can post photos of my Darwin family at the end of the week.

Intrigued

I have now satisfied my RAD. I now have a Darwin 'Original' cased, A Darwin Standard uncased, A Darwin Standard cased, a Darwin Deluxe cased and a two piece Darwin Adjustable cased. The last was one was acquired through a trade. A heavy cost was exacted requiring me to release my beloved British Aristocrats, however, given that I love the Darwins it was a sacrifice worth making. Photos later this week as I a am traveling now.

:thumbup:

:ouch1: You win!

Wow! You and Connie have the Darwin market cornered! Congrats and can't wait for pics!!!

I think Cal1961 has me beat with the 'Original' and the 'Two Piece' being the equivalent of a pair of Aces over my 'Bijou', 'Mustache', and 'Miracol'.

Took my newly acquired Darwin Adjustable with me on my travels. Shaved this morning. All I can say is superb. I will miss the Aristocrats (traded for the adjustable) but the shave quality of the Darwins plus their aesthetics make the sacrifice well worth while. Hope fully can post photos of my Darwin family at the end of the week.

How do the shaves compare between them all?? Or put another way..... How would you rank the shaves you get from the various Darwin flavors?

I look forward to seeing the pictures!

Hi Connie

I am just delighted to have such a nice collection even if it meant me releasing my Aristocrats. In terms of performance I would say ;

7am Shave

Original - face still smooth 15 hours later
Two Piece - ditto
Deluxe - smooth for at least 13 hours
Standard - ditto 10-11 hours

All shaves using Feather razor + TOBS Sandlewood

All of the shaves were fantastic with no irritation and certainly better than any other razor I have owned. I am being a bit 'picky' when differentiating between them but there is a difference.

Charles

Sorry, I must be having a seniors moment. I don't recall seeing anything on an adjustable Darwin. Are there any links to pictures and discussion about a Darwin Adjustable? I apologize if I'm simply not remembering.

Intrigued

Sorry, I must be having a seniors moment. I don't recall seeing anything on an adjustable Darwin. Are there any links to pictures and discussion about a Darwin Adjustable? I apologize if I'm simply not remembering.

I think it's the one from this WTT post.

These are some pictures of a 2-piece Darwin I saved from an Ebay listing.

$Darwin Standard in case ebay.jpg $Darwin Standard with case ebay.jpg $Darwin Standard ebay 8:11.jpg

Right, I did see that one way back and it somehow didn't make it into my long-term memory. The adjustable is about the rarest of the rare razors I should think.

Not sure how rare they are but i have never seen one before. I traded three MINT Aristocrats for the 2 piece. I love Darwins and had never heard of this one. Huge leap of faith paid off. Its beautiful and the photos above reflect the razor I have. I will post photos of them all when back but the two piece is the same quality and build of the Deluxe but the shave quality of the 'Original'

Attached a couple of (poor) photos of my Darwins from l to r Deluxe, Adjustable, Standard, Original and Standard

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 359
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 424

Intrigued

Attached a couple of (poor) photos of my Darwins from l to r Deluxe, Adjustable, Standard, Original and Standard

Thanks for posting pictures of your beautiful Darwin family! Oh, and nice socks! :tongue_sm

In this photo it looks as if the Standard Darwin in the center has a lot more downward curve to the base plate than any of the others, including the Darwin Standard on the right. Is that true or is it just the way the camera made it look? I know that the Darwin Original has a very flat base plate, but in this photo it looks as if each base plate is curved different from the others. True or camera angle???

attachment.php

My God. Somebody give this man an award or something. What an outstanding collection of razors. I'd give up every Gillette I own just to have exactly what you've photographed here. Well... maybe. It would be tempting, anyway.

Hi Connie

The two Standards are the same (its the camera). However, one of then has Darwin made in Sheffield on the handle. The Adjustable has Made by Darwin in Sheffield on the handle. Each of the handles is slightly different. Specifically the diameter of the 'necks' and the width of the bands. The photo shows l-r Deluxe, Adjustable,Original, Standard and Standard. The head on the 'original' has no curvature.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 323

Intrigued

My God. Somebody give this man an award or something. What an outstanding collection of razors. I'd give up every Gillette I own just to have exactly what you've photographed here. Well... maybe. It would be tempting, anyway.

I'm kinda surprises with myself that I don't feel envious of Cal1961 or some of the other Darwin owners that have posted some of the very rare Darwins. Instead it gives me a warm glow to know that there are other people out there that love them as much as I do. :001_wub:

I'm kinda surprises with myself that I don't feel envious of Cal1961 or some of the other Darwin owners that have posted some of the very rare Darwins. Instead it gives me a warm glow to know that there are other people out there that love them as much as I do. :001_wub:

+1 Connie. and Cal1961, thanks for taking the time to post these pictures, it's appreciated.

What a fantastic collection you've got there Connie. In my opinion, these are by far the best looking razors I've ever seen.

Intrigued

Wow a cased Deluxe just went for GBP 675!! So glad I am out of the game.

It said in the listing that the razor was donated and that all the proceeds were going to the village fund so that may have influenced the bidding.....

Seller's description

Beautiful art deco Darwin Razor. In original box with seven wrapped blades. The box is slghtly damaged, see photos. The press stud catch has snapped off the lid of box, however the press stud is in working order. The inside of the box is in perfect (for age) condition. As far as we can see there are no rips, tears or scags to the lining. The razor is in very good condition, clean and looks hardly used. Under the razor is a small blade holder containing 7 blades. The blades appear unused and original. However there does seem to be a few rust spots due to age. 5 are Harp and Crown de-luxe and 2 are 7 o'clock. This razor was donated to a village charity sale. All proceeds from this auction will go directly to the village fund. Postage will be by royal mail special delivery, next day guaranteed. Please feel free to email any specific questions, we are not razor experts!

$Ebay Darwin Deluxe.jpg $Ebay Darwin Deluxe 2.jpg $Ebay Dawin Deluxe 3.jpg $Ebay Darwin Deluxe 4.jpg

In fact if the buyer is a member here, PM me and I may have something for you.

Top Bottom