What's new

Attention Darwin Razor Owners

Wanted to report my first shave with the Deluxe - and quite frankly it was a magnificient one.

I am fully aware that the price tag probably makes me inherently more positive as one really wants to justify ones craziness. But honestly, this is a wonderful shaver.

Paired with a mild new Personna it is (really!) efficient but without being aggressive! - At first stroke I thought I needed to be more careful than usual, but no. It is very easy to use. I would not pair it yet with a Feather, though and the Personna fits it wonderfully. Further, it has several other caracteristics which to me are very interesting:
  1. First of all it sings! - The blade sits tight but your hear the strokes quite loudly. In this it reminds me of the Eclipse Red Ring.
  2. Secondly it has an odd but very nice balance. The cobalt steel handle is solid and quite heavy, especially towards the bottom end. This I am not used to. There no problem in keeping the head to my face, this is actually easy and the razor is very agile around the face. But then at the end of each stroke the weight kindda pulls the razors away from your face in a very cool way that I have felt in no other razor. Makes it feel extremely safe to use even when you would be in a hurry.
  3. Thirdly, that handle has awesome grip, it sits securely in your hand and you feel very safe that you wont drop it. You can even use the thinner grooves to plant your nails in. Someone said that it is less grippy when wet, I don’t see that. In this ‘grippyness’ it very much reminds me of its same-era British cousin with a similar carved-out edgy art deco handle: The Shavex Zee-Kol heavy handle. See below, and notice also the different glow from the cobalt steel.
Can’t wait ‘til I am going to shave with it again tomorrow :001_wub: At some point I may send it to Cap Murphy for a thorough polish but not now, haha!

View attachment 967162 View attachment 967163
Whats the other razor?

I do not know English
I am writing from Turkey.
try to write by translation
I'm sorry if I'm missing
This tool came out of the warehouse where we kept our materials.
left my grandfather
found this topic while researching the instrument.
collecting information about the tool.
British Patent 243881 Darwin writes Darwin Sheddind England at the bottom
Thank you to friends who will help.
ici6j9.jpg
23kc1nk.jpg

2gwapvl.jpg
2i6nuid.jpg
2z4017n.jpg

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I do not know English
I'm sorry if I'm missing
left my grandfather
View attachment 967496 View attachment 967497
View attachment 967498 View attachment 967499 View attachment 967500

That is a very nice find! :thumbup:

Your razor is a "Darwin Standard".

I do not know English
I'm sorry if I'm missing
left my grandfather

How was the shave - ok?

It was a hard shave.
But it didn't irritate.
1 curtain left the beard.
The 2 curtains were shaved like marble.
Great machine.
But the handle is slipping away.

Darwin
Perma Sharp Saturn (old production.TR)
Simpson
Arko Man
Yaqi synthetic
343.jpeg

Excellent review! Sounds like that Deluxe not only looks good it’s a good shaver as well.

Let us how it goes when you drop a Feather in it.

Thanks Frank, yes honestly a very smooth shaver, a lot like the Eclipse that I know that you also really like! But even more efficient so I need to practice before I try a Feather in it, haha!

Yes take your time and get to know the razor first before throwing a Feather in it and when you do try hand stroping the blade it takes that little bit of harshness that’s sometimes occurs on the first shave. Doesn’t hit the sharpness though.
Eclipse RR can be pretty efficient when you use the Adjustable bottom.

One of these days I’ll get me a Darwin. All the stars must be aligned though for that to happen lol

Enjoy that beauty!

Oh you will get one, sir - I have no doubt - as you are the only guy in the world who ever had 5 Red Rings :ouch1:

I do not know English
I'm sorry if I'm missing
left my grandfather

That's the Darwin Standard. I'm looking to buy one to add to my Darwin Deluxe.

39847C71-E970-4991-8CC6-99C6FE1402BC.jpeg
EFF09ED9-BB76-4159-971A-9AA0735DA21F.jpeg

Bump.

I’m in the club with a 2-piece. Been looking through this thread and don’t see much info. Are these also cobalt steel? It’s not marked as such. I have it loaded with a Kai for tomorrow’s shave and will report my findings.

I’m interested to hear the impressions of the 2-piece vs. the other Darwin models that are more frequently mentioned.

Great score Matt! - I don’t know anything about the shave of the 2-piece adjustable. Hope someone else can chime in. But look forward to your shave report!

I do believe it is cobalt steel too.

Beautiful, Matt ! It is not cobalt steel, and no razor was marked as this or that steel (but blades were). Here is an exerpt from a catalogue from the 1930s :

The "two-piece" razor it mentions is the one we call "Adjustable today". ;)

Hello all,

Found this in the wild.

It has instantly found a place in my top three rotation.
Not sure I would try to adjust it. It's perfectly aggressive already.

Attachments

• 15706644212722660139493945075422.jpg
    15706644212722660139493945075422.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 15706645513816454746632178332914.jpg
    15706645513816454746632178332914.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
  • 15706645931796703153974812990874.jpg
    15706645931796703153974812990874.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
Well done, congrats on a magnificient score, Rather Lather!

...And what an amazing thing: 2 Darwin Adjustables found at the same time. What are the odds?

WOW. How does the Adjustable shave? Did it come with the original box and would you be willing to part with it? Anyways, congrats. I have both the Darwin Deluxe and the Darwin Standard.
View attachment 1023304View attachment 1023305

Bump.

I’m in the club with a 2-piece. Been looking through this thread and don’t see much info. Are these also cobalt steel? It’s not marked as such. I have it loaded with a Kai for tomorrow’s shave and will report my findings.

I’m interested to hear the impressions of the 2-piece vs. the other Darwin models that are more frequently mentioned.

Top Bottom