What's new

Attention Darwin Razor Owners

Thank you very much!
Just a curios fact: the composition of the alloy of the head and the one of the handle seems different, since the first is attracted by a magnet whereas the second is neutral.

It happened on one of mine. I thought it was a mixup from the factory or from a previous owner : head really is a Deluxe and is made of cobalt-chrome steel, while the handle is in stainless steel. But since it happened to you I don't know what to think : as the design of the handle is the same as a Standard model, maybe they had too many handles or too much stainless steel ?

Probably both the pieces are made of cobalt steel, but from different batches of alloys. The appareance of the head and the handle is the same, but of course I am not an expert...

Thread bump as I have now joined the fraternity. I have taken over this very nice Popular which actually came originally from a former Sheffield Darwin works employee - who clearly loved it and used it extensively. When this gentleman passed, his grandson took it over and then subsequently passed it on to the chap that I have now acquired it from. Shaves nice!

Not a lot of Popular owners in this thread, as far as I can see!

D8C766DB-8A40-4084-A00A-DEFE346774D8.jpeg

Very nice ! Indeed it seams that despite its name, the "Popular" was not so popular back in the day :D One possibility is that is might have been a short-lived production, but I don't think so, as we can find it on a 1934 / 1937 catalogue, giving it a few active years before the war. Same thoughts about the Miracol, by the way.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Thread bump as I have now joined the fraternity. I have taken over this very nice Popular which actually came originally from a former Sheffield Darwin works employee - who clearly loved it and used it extensively. When this gentleman passed, his grandson took it over and then subsequently passed it on to the chap that I have now acquired it from. Shaves nice!

Not a lot of Popular owners in this thread, as far as I can see!

View attachment 949636

What a great find! I love its' back story too! :thumbup1:
There seem to be very, very few of the Populars still around.

Thanks Cha-wing!! & Connie - I am honored to join :)

A fast calculation in this thread (and a few others) gave me 3 Popular owners: @Henrik, @ironfist and now myself. Wow. Must be others out there...

I read somewhere another potential explanation as to why this model is so scarce today compared to the other Darwins: That relatively more Populars have been thrown out by people during the years, as it is not as unique in its design... This theory I find could have some merit.

Now the search continues for that Deluxe or Standard :wacko:

79755FC5-2CB8-4621-BD2D-BCFDC0DF8160.jpeg

I have become the custodian of yet another Darwin, a Deluxe no less. This follows a nail biting bid on the bay based on a non-descriptive text along with blurry low-pixel pictures that did not convince that this was a specimen worth investing in.

During my considerations I consulted Chris Evatt whose insight (great as always) on this particular model was that even if these cobalt steel razors are very sturdy they are also very hard to refurbish once damaged. Still, after a few more pics from seller - and her reassurances of the condition, along with her fast and very open replies in general - I decided to take a chance and go ahead with it. And thankfully I won it for a far lower than expected price.

I received it today, anxious as never before, but I must say that it is in fine shape. For sure there are some marks on the topcap but other than that it is superfine. I took a few fast pics (below) including a few comparison pics with my beloved Aristocrat #15 OC.

Even if I was mainly after the razor itself, a nice sideeffect is that this specimen came with the original ‘coffin style’ case, also in good shape (but no latch, of course, nor blade bank. But who’s counting).

First shave up tomorrow (of course, duh!), I really look forward to trying it out. But in no way do I expect this to merit the cost of this razor, and honestly compared to the OC Crat I don’t find it as beautiful. The art deco handle for sure makes it stand out and call for a “0 or 1” reaction, either you really like it or you really don’t.

Me, I like it a lot on first glance. And the main difference actually is more subtle - when you hold the razor there is really something about that cobalt steel feel, it feels unique in a way I haven’t felt with other razors :001_wub:

5E3B9F64-2A56-498F-9BB4-8051B68C42EE.jpeg
7C4BF400-0DD5-4804-82A5-BB9A4CA24992.jpeg
36139813-CF52-4A9B-9534-6CBADF3B0C7B.jpeg
3EE98FFF-8999-4B26-A8D8-B2D25726F3B4.jpeg
6D65F02C-5A70-4B3C-82FA-C68B1ED65F66.jpeg
A4BB1DDA-1CB4-4979-8D9A-16F58212B850.jpeg
F8F4A8C0-DAA3-4F7F-8B53-75706A5124B4.jpeg

Last edited:
I didn’t see that one on the bay. Did you get it for north of 700 US??? If you don’t wanna say, I understand. Did it come with the tortoise blade holder? I got my deluxe with the case about a year ago on the bay. But it didn’t come with the blade holder.

I didn’t see that one on the bay. Did you get it for north of 700 US??? If you don’t wanna say, I understand. Did it come with the tortoise blade holder? I got my deluxe with the case about a year ago on the bay. But it didn’t come with the blade holder.

No worries, the price can be found on the bay anyway, I assume. We were only 3 bidders and yes, you are in the right ballpark but I did not pay nearly the numbers that have been seen lately. And no, the blade holder was missing.

Last edited:
Congratulations on a very nice set. I have a Popular and a leather travel set somewhere. If I can find them I'll post a pic.

I agree with the theory that the Popular is more rare today because it has a simple standard design. The others are beautiful to behold in comparison. Sexy curves vs. not.

Congratulations on a very nice set. I have a Popular and a leather travel set somewhere. If I can find them I'll post a pic.

I agree with the theory that the Popular is more rare today because it has a simple standard design. The others are beautiful to behold in comparison. Sexy curves vs. not.

Thanks Sledge - that makes my count 5 Popular owners: Yourself, me, @mjclark, @Henrik and @ironfist. Your leather travel set, which razors does this hold?

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
View attachment 966986

I have become the custodian of yet another Darwin, a Deluxe no less. This follows a nail biting bid on the bay based on a non-descriptive text along with blurry low-pixel pictures that did not convince that this was a specimen worth investing in.

During my considerations I consulted Chris Evatt whose insight (great as always) on this particular model was that even if these cobalt steel razors are very sturdy they are also very hard to refurbish once damaged. Still, after a few more pics from seller - and her reassurances of the condition, along with her fast and very open replies in general - I decided to take a chance and go ahead with it. And thankfully I won it for a far lower than expected price.

I received it today, anxious as never before, but I must say that it is in fine shape. For sure there are some marks on the topcap but other than that it is superfine. I took a few fast pics (below) including a few comparison pics with my beloved Aristocrat #15 OC.

Even if I was mainly after the razor itself, a nice sideeffect is that this specimen came with the original ‘coffin style’ case, also in good shape (but no latch, of course, nor blade bank. But who’s counting).

First shave up tomorrow (of course, duh!), I really look forward to trying it out. But in no way do I expect this to merit the cost of this razor, and honestly compared to the OC Crat I don’t find it as beautiful. The art deco handle for sure makes it stand out and call for a “0 or 1” reaction, either you really like it or you really don’t.

Me, I like it a lot on first glance. And the main difference actually is more subtle - when you hold the razor there is really something about that cobalt steel feel, it feels unique in a way I haven’t felt with other razors :001_wub:

View attachment 966985 View attachment 966987 View attachment 966988 View attachment 966989 View attachment 966991 View attachment 966992 View attachment 966990

Congratulations! :thumbup1:

Yea, it is really hard to describe just how great the Darwin Deluxe feels and looks in hand.

Congrats on that beauty! It’s always been on my wishlist but missed one on the bay in a bid war in the last 3 seconds.

Let us all know how it shavesz
:a14:

Congratulations! :thumbup1:

Yea, it is really hard to describe just how great the Darwin Deluxe feels and looks in hand.

Thanks so much Frank & Connie - it’s been a while since I was so excited to try out a new razor. Will report my impressions for sure!

Thanks Sledge - that makes my count 5 Popular owners: Yourself, me, @mjclark, @Henrik and @ironfist. Your leather travel set, which razors does this hold?
Found it! Darwin Standard. The travel set has a sharpening stone and a pouch with original blades. Here are some pics of it and the Popular. I think the Darwin Standard/Deluxe is a work of art but the Popular is rather mundane looking.

Since I dug them out I plan on using them next couple of shaves.
IMG_0645.JPG
IMG_0646.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0652.JPG
IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG

Last edited:
Found it! Darwin Standard. The travel set has a sharpening stone and a pouch with original blades. Here are some pics of it and the Popular. I think the Darwin Standard/Deluxe is a work of art but the Popular is rather mundane looking.

Since I dug them out I plan on using them next couple of shaves.
View attachment 967107 View attachment 967108 View attachment 967109 View attachment 967110 View attachment 967111 View attachment 967112 View attachment 967113 View attachment 967114 View attachment 967115 View attachment 967116

Wow, that is a fantastich pouch with honing stone and everything - what a catch. As for looks I actually really like the Popular’s understated design. Yours is in much better shape than mine plating-wise. Still mine shaves perfectly with 100% mechanics.

Wanted to report my first shave with the Deluxe - and quite frankly it was a magnificient one.

I am fully aware that the price tag probably makes me inherently more positive as one really wants to justify ones craziness. But honestly, this is a wonderful shaver.

Paired with a mild new Personna it is (really!) efficient but without being aggressive! - At first stroke I thought I needed to be more careful than usual, but no. It is very easy to use. I would not pair it yet with a Feather, though and the Personna fits it wonderfully. Further, it has several other caracteristics which to me are very interesting:
  1. First of all it sings! - The blade sits tight but your hear the strokes quite loudly. In this it reminds me of the Eclipse Red Ring.
  2. Secondly it has an odd but very nice balance. The cobalt steel handle is solid and quite heavy, especially towards the bottom end. This I am not used to. There no problem in keeping the head to my face, this is actually easy and the razor is very agile around the face. But then at the end of each stroke the weight kindda pulls the razors away from your face in a very cool way that I have felt in no other razor. Makes it feel extremely safe to use even when you would be in a hurry.
  3. Thirdly, that handle has awesome grip, it sits securely in your hand and you feel very safe that you wont drop it. You can even use the thinner grooves to plant your nails in. Someone said that it is less grippy when wet, I don’t see that. In this ‘grippyness’ it very much reminds me of its same-era British cousin with a similar carved-out edgy art deco handle: The Shavex Zee-Kol heavy handle. See below, and notice also the different glow from the cobalt steel.
Can’t wait ‘til I am going to shave with it again tomorrow :001_wub: At some point I may send it to Cap Murphy for a thorough polish but not now, haha!

F4EE6111-7EC2-48EF-B7D7-A385A5553ED9.jpeg
ADE381E4-8C84-4336-96D2-14A80201C45C.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom