What's new

attention Chemex users!

Is there anyone else out there besides me that uses the Chemex method to make coffee? If so, what special tricks do you use to make that perfect cup?

Thanks.

I've have used a Chemex, off and on, for the past 40 years. Makes a very good simple brew. I take a Chemex in the RV as my only coffee maker.

I have every size from the single cup up to the largest (two hander)

I also use a Chemex for my coffee. I ditched the Chemex paper filters, I didn't like the paper taste they left in my coffee even after multiple rinse's. I also found the chemex filters to drain very slowly. Now I use a Gold tone filter in a Melita pour over basket and the results have been truly outstanding.

I also use a Chemex for my coffee. I ditched the Chemex paper filters, I didn't like the paper taste they left in my coffee even after multiple rinse's. I also found the chemex filters to drain very slowly. Now I use a Gold tone filter in a Melita pour over basket and the results have been truly outstanding.

I use the unbleached paper cones which are a little more neutral in taste

proxy.php

Turtle, what kind of brew times are you getting when you use you larger Chemex with the paper filters? I have those same filters and they are better than the regular filters.

I have not used my whopper Chemex in years. I have a commercial Bunn that I have been using to make my morning Joe.

I know that it is so large that a full Russell Hobbs kettle of water does not make a full pot. It is a 13 cup pot (I think). I've got 2 of them.

Mostly I use the smaller 6 cup when we are traveling in the RV

I prefer the white filters. I start by fitting it in the chemex, and pouring a lot of boiling water all over the filter to rinse it and heat the pot. When it's empty, I add the grinds, lift it up and pour off the water into the cup to heat it. Sometimes, I'll do another quick rinse with clean water. Then I put the filter back and add enough hot water to bloom and start brewing. I add the grinds before lifting the filter or it sticks.

Not sure I should share the other tips, since I almost always just fill the 6 cupper to the dot--half way. Anyway, they're on the forum somewhere.

How does the Coava compare to this metal filter?
I backed the Able Kone III on Kickstarter and should receive one in August if the email communication is accurate. The person running Able (Keith, based on a kickstarter video) designed Coava Kone versions one and two. These are no longer being produced so "out of stock" is a planned state - this new design addresses a couple issues that the older versions presented like the sharp top edge and the sharp bottom point. This new version looks less like a weapon than V.1 or V.2. Also, V1 had the 0.10 size holes, V2 had 0.08 size holes, and this one is down to 0.05 size - smaller and smaller for less fines in the cup.

I use a Chemex with the unbleached paper filters. I get the perfect cup by measuring out 1 more tbsp of coffee than the number of cups of water I use for brewing. Then I pour in about 1/4 cup of boiling water and let the grounds get good and wet for about a minute. Then I slowly pour the remaining water over the grounds in a circle to make sure all the grounds get covered and don't get left on the sides of the filter as the water level drops.

I've seen a lot of people use the Hario and/or Bonmac filters in Chemex brewers, especially in coffee houses. I have the brown Hario filters for my V60 and while they are of the unbleached persuasion, I get no paper taste at all. First unbleached filter I've used where I can say that.

Ben

Thanks for the information Eric. I didn't realize that the Coava was discontinued.
I would consider it "evolved" more than discontinued - Able grew out of the success Coava was having with the Kone and Aeropress metal filter disc. I wouldn't be surprised to find out they are backing Keith on his venture.

I just got one of these beauties a couple weeks ago, so I have not had much experience with it yet. Got an 8 cup with handle, so I would have something to serve more than 2 guests at a time :p I've been using the standard bleached Chemex filters, freshly home roasted and ground beans (drip grind), and between 60-66 g/L. I usually shoot for about 720g of water per brew. Coffee is still coming out stronger, and darker than I would like.

I suppose I could just not be that good at roasting yet, as I've only been at it a few months in a Popper, but i seem to get fairly decent coffee out of my Aeropress. I'll keep playing with it, and see what changes.

Top Bottom