What's new

Attachment

Without being there when you use your strop, no one here and I mean no one, can tell what you are doing correctly or incorrectly. However, that may be the case here and don't be too tough on yourself about it.

After reading this thread this morning, I went back and watched a video that I have saved from 9 years ago on stropping just to refresh my memory too and I have been doing this a long time. No one is perfect and we are all guilty of a rolled edge, cut strop and several other mistakes in our journeys.

I recommend Lynn Abrams video on stropping on YouTube. It's the one that I reviewed this morning. It reminded me about pressure and I am guilty of not taking my stropping technique serious from time to time. Complacency will kill an edge.
Much appreciated, @Titleist!

You are stropping with too much blade pressure against the strop. There should be almost no strop deflection (like only a few millimetres) while stropping. This is particularly important for a n00bie who, with excessive deflection, will radius the edge apex.

If you have already put a radius on the edge apex, just continue as you have been going. After you next get/have the edge refreshed, then start stropping properly. That will greatly improve the edge life between refreshes.

You haven't read the instructs yet, have you?
I've read it. Thanks as always, Richard.

Yup, 18inch loop of paracord, or shoelace, looped around the d ring or a snap swivel and around the door knob, puts the strop at waist level.

Open the door and strop. I use the door just outside the bathroom that leads to the hallway and master bedroom. When the door is open you do not see the strop.

Top Bottom