What's new

ATT Windsor (Wow)

IMG_20200207_133925.jpg
IMG_20200207_133951.jpg
IMG_20200207_133933.jpg
I just had my first shave with my new ATT mixed metal Windsor. I was able to buy two used copper plates with a new Windsor cap. When purchased this way, I got the R and H plate with the cap for about $150. I have a lot of nice handles, so the handle didn't interest me. Also the ATT M1 is too mild for me so I didn't have an interest in the milder Windsor M plate. For my first shave I used the R plate, which is my normal pate I use with my ATT, when I use it. My favorite razor recently had been my PAA Ascension and has been used for most of my shaves since around May of last year. While the R plate for the Windsor is less aggressive than the old R plate....it is still really efficient and so smooth. I don't understand why the Windsor isn't more popular. The finish on my is flawless and the shave was probably the best I've had in the last 11 years of DE shaving. I'll try the H plate at some point but not sure why I need too.

Sorry for the poor photos but used my phone and took in my bathroom instead of a better setting.

Also the only downside to the transaction was that USPS decided to route the razor from TN to Peru, In....via Portland, OR. So needless to say, it took an extra day or so. 😂

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Wow is right (good name for the thread) -- that razor is gorgeous, and it sounds like a great shaver -- Congrats!!!

Looks great!! :punk: :punk:

Used it again this morning. Really is an amazing razor. I'm really surprised that it doesn't get more love around here, as the brushed versions are not that expensive. I did find that whatever the coating is in the copper does not alcohol. I always dip my razors in alcohol after shaves and it clouded up the bottom of the plate. It buffed offed easily but makes me wonder. Trying to figure out how if I want to reapply that coating or just all it to patina. I assume the patina is just cosmetic and wouldn't cause a structural issues.

I've the r1 ATT and it is a really good razor. Worth taking time to perfect your shaving skill with it.
Trouble is new razor makers appear and the older makers get forgotten about.
However, old things come around again, and I do see more posts on ATT lately. Owners are just quietly shaving and enjoying their ATT razors!

Is it me or is the head longer than the blade?

Sorry, I have not seen a Windsor before. If it is longer than the blade, do you have any issues trying to line up where the razor is shaving (sorry not sure what to call it ... :blush:)

Is it me or is the head longer than the blade?

Sorry, I have not seen a Windsor before. If it is longer than the blade, do you have any issues trying to line up where the razor is shaving (sorry not sure what to call it ... :blush:)
[/QUOTE

It does cover the whole blade but no issues with alignment. It is wider and less exposure than standard ATT.

Used it again this morning. Really is an amazing razor. I'm really surprised that it doesn't get more love around here, as the brushed versions are not that expensive. I did find that whatever the coating is in the copper does not alcohol. I always dip my razors in alcohol after shaves and it clouded up the bottom of the plate. It buffed offed easily but makes me wonder. Trying to figure out how if I want to reapply that coating or just all it to patina. I assume the patina is just cosmetic and wouldn't cause a structural issues.

Dear @hsbbs04,
How about your experiences with Windsor H plate?
ATT Copper Handle attracts me a lot.

Agree the Windsor is one, if not, the smoothest razor I have (40+). It's also one of the nicest looking too. I'm glad I was able to snag the all Copper before they were discontinued.

Dear @hsbbs04,

I haven't used the H plate yet. The R has been perfect for me so haven't felt the need to try it. Will probably put the H plate on when I go a few days without shaving. For me the R is as smooth as the Rockwell but as efficient as the traditional R from ATT.
IMG_20200211_082313.jpg

IMG_20200211_082313.jpg

Also I heard from ATT that the finish on the copper is a marine sealer. So my alcohol dips on started removing some of the polyurethane. So for the R plate I stripped that one and it will probably start to patina. The H plate, when I use it u will avoid any alcohol so that one will keep it's sealer.

Dear @hsbbs04,

I didn't shave this weekend so that I had a reason to use the H plate. This morning I used a feather with 4 shaves on it and MWF. This was a smooth shave but, unlike the R, had some blade feel to it. I was able to get a BBS shave with one pass on my neck, and two passes on my face (with some touch ups). I never felt like it was going to bite but if I wasn't careful could see how i might have a problem. For my next shave I'm going back to the R as I don't think I need that much efficiency for a daily basis. It was surprising how efficient it was compared to the R, with just a slight bit more blade feel.

I have used many razors over the last ten years or so both new and vintage but the Windsor R1 is my daily driver.
Great fit, finish, feel and for me smooth results every time.

Just received my Windsor SSR1 head And attached it to my Kronos handle. I have an Atlas handle, R1 & the M1 plate too And have been enjoying my shaves with the R1.

I shaved this morning with the Windsor and all I can say is WOW!! I was blown away at how it is so smooth and efficient. I got a BBS shave right out of the gate. I did have a couple weepers, but know that was user error and left from a prior shave.

As to the claim that it’s less efficient to the Classic R1 I think that’s hard to say as I found it so much smoother and I didn’t change my shaving angle as I have to do with the Classic due to the blade exposure. According to Matt at ATT the Windsor has about 1 MM blade exposure compared to the Classic having about 2 MM. In this case I feel less is better.

Even though it was my first shave with the Windsor, I have a feeling it’s going to totally replace my Classic and may even justify selling the Classic. Guess I can sum up the Windsor as “Buy it you’ll like it!”.

The Windsor deserves so much more praise than it gets!

Just received my Windsor SSR1 head And attached it to my Kronos handle. I have an Atlas handle, R1 & the M1 plate too And have been enjoying my shaves with the R1.

I shaved this morning with the Windsor and all I can say is WOW!! I was blown away at how it is so smooth and efficient. I got a BBS shave right out of the gate. I did have a couple weepers, but know that was user error and left from a prior shave.

As to the claim that it’s less efficient to the Classic R1 I think that’s hard to say as I found it so much smoother and I didn’t change my shaving angle as I have to do with the Classic due to the blade exposure. According to Matt at ATT the Windsor has about 1 MM blade exposure compared to the Classic having about 2 MM. In this case I feel less is better.

Even though it was my first shave with the Windsor, I have a feeling it’s going to totally replace my Classic and may even justify selling the Classic. Guess I can sum up the Windsor as “Buy it you’ll like it!”.

The Windsor deserves so much more praise than it gets!

Glad you liked it. Hard to imagine someone not. I've tried a lot of razors over the past 10 years and it's just good. I don't think the r plates have a huge difference in efficiency, but does seen a little less so. But the increase in smoothness is HUGE.

Top Bottom