What's new

ATT vs Blackbird, should I get one?

OK, I have just recently received some ATT razors, and I love them. The craftsmanship is fantastic, I am getting great shaves from the R1, this is now my daily driver.

BUT... I do have a collector's bent in a fairly bad way. I already know that as soon as I am able I will get my name on Wolfman's waiting list. But I am also curious about the Blackbird.

Are there any out there who own both an ATT and a Blackbird? Is there a compelling reason why I should consider getting a Blackbird if I already have an ATT?

Thanks!

I remember seeing a thread on the Blackbird in this section of the forum. Might want to search it, but from what I remember, folks were saying that the angle was different and I remember someone even drawing a picture showing that it was more like those razors without a safety bar. That crossed it off my list immediately.

Since the BB is a totally new razor I would buy one to try IF I were able to return it or exchange it but no policies are published that I can find. At the asking price there is to much risk for the consumer to buy one just now..............

I will buy one 'cause they are one slick looking razor but not just yet. :straight:

(ooooooooooh. I want one so bad!!)

Last edited:
Since the BB is a totally new razor I would buy one to try IF I were able to return it or exchange it but no policies are published that I can find. At the asking price there is to much risk for the consumer to buy one just now..............

I will buy one 'cause they are one slick looking razor but not just yet. :straight:

(ooooooooooh. I want one so bad!!)

I think that's where I am right now. The black oxide ones are out of stock now anyway, and I'll wait until they have a bulldog length handle anyway.

I am content to continue learning my ATT R1 for the time being, but I will keep my eye on the Blackbird.

I think that's where I am right now. The black oxide ones are out of stock now anyway, and I'll wait until they have a bulldog length handle anyway.

I am content to continue learning my ATT R1 for the time being, but I will keep my eye on the Blackbird.

I've had an ATT for about a year now and the time has not been all that pleasant for me. I started with the R1 plate then bought an M1 plate since R1 turned out to be to aggressive. The M1 plate helped a little but not that much.

No matter what plate I use (I really will never need the H1 plate) the ATT slices me up every shave. I suspect it's the basic design is what is not working for me. Shame too since I like the the razor basicly. This is why I'm hoping the BB design will work better for me.

Good luck with your ATT!!

I've had an ATT for about a year now and the time has not been all that pleasant for me. I started with the R1 plate then bought an M1 plate since R1 turned out to be to aggressive. The M1 plate helped a little but not that much.

No matter what plate I use (I really will never need the H1 plate) the ATT slices me up every shave. I suspect it's the basic design is what is not working for me. Shame too since I like the the razor basicly. This is why I'm hoping the BB design will work better for me.

Good luck with your ATT!!

Thanks!

The M1 plate was too mild for me, so far I'm doing well with the R1, I guess time will tell.

I know one thing, I have never regretted buying my ATT S2 Atlas handle slant. I Have a blackbird ready on the launch pad and I'll probably try that tomorrow.

Ask me today what I would favour? it'd be the ATT S2. Ask me tomorrow after I use the blackbird, I may tell you something different but to topple my ATT S2, it'd have to be some kind of mind blowing trip of a shave. Keeping an open mind though.

Looking at the fit and finish of these two, they are both high end but I have to give to ATT. One look at the Atlas handle and you'll know why -it's a real work of art to look at and feels perfect. I also like the precision locator pins on the head of the S2 though the old school bars found on the Blackbird cap also ensure you get exacting blade alignment.

I have several ATT razors (M1,R1,H1,S1,S2 & all three handles) & a satin finish Blackbird long handle. I'd say the Blackbird is about aggressive as the ATT R1. The long handle is about the same length as the Colossus but not as heavy because it's a lot thinner. The finish on the Blackbird is as good as the ATT. Even though the handle on the Blackbird is thinner and has no knurling, I've had no problem with the grip, even with wet hands. IMO, in looks, the advantage goes to the Blackbird. It's one of the coolest looking razor I've seen. In price, slight advantage to the Blackbird. The big advantage for ATT is, with three handle choices, four open comb & four closed comb head choices & ATT liberal exchange policy, you can pretty much design the razor that suits you best. The only choices with the Blackbird are long or short handle & finish. (Satin or Black) The only complaint about the Blackbird is that the edge of the baseplate/safety bar is pretty sharp. Not razor/cut yourself sharp but it's not rounded much. I haven't found it to be a problem and I understand the next run of razors is going to address this. Having said all of this, I'm quite happy with my Blackbird & have been shaving with it the past few days. I can also say the same about my ATT razors.

I have several ATT razors (M1,R1,H1,S1,S2 & all three handles) & a satin finish Blackbird long handle. I'd say the Blackbird is about aggressive as the ATT R1. The long handle is about the same length as the Colossus but not as heavy because it's a lot thinner. The finish on the Blackbird is as good as the ATT. Even though the handle on the Blackbird is thinner and has no knurling, I've had no problem with the grip, even with wet hands. IMO, in looks, the advantage goes to the Blackbird. It's one of the coolest looking razor I've seen. In price, slight advantage to the Blackbird. The big advantage for ATT is, with three handle choices, four open comb & four closed comb head choices & ATT liberal exchange policy, you can pretty much design the razor that suits you best. The only choices with the Blackbird are long or short handle & finish. (Satin or Black) The only complaint about the Blackbird is that the edge of the baseplate/safety bar is pretty sharp. Not razor/cut yourself sharp but it's not rounded much. I haven't found it to be a problem and I understand the next run of razors is going to address this. Having said all of this, I'm quite happy with my Blackbird & have been shaving with it the past few days. I can also say the same about my ATT razors.

Thanks for this, you've given me a lot of good information.

I think I'm more convinced now than ever that I'll wait a bit and see what happens with the Blackbird. I'm more than content with my ATTs anyway.

Good point about the safety bar edge actually. I was looking at that today. I don't think it's a problem but may alter the sensation of the razor on the face a tad (probably more noticeable using a steeper handle angle).

I have never heard anyone on B&B say, "No." Consider yourself enabled.

IMO, this is an 'essential' part of your high end collection!:biggrin1:

My personal preference is to go with the Wolfman, when available. But it looks like that is already on your list!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Although I'll probably never get either one, my preference is for the ATT, purely on looks.

I've owned a few of the ATT plates and all three current production handles (M1, M2, S1, S2, atlas, kronos etc.). My favourite plate is the S1 as I found it most effective for my skin and hair combination (very sensitive skin, super course hair) when mated to a Feather, Kai or Gillette 7 0'Clock yellow blade. For the handles, the Atlas is gorgeous, knurling is too sharp and deep and it's too small; the Kronos is a good size and heft but it's a bit conventional looking, and I find the third (can't remember the name) to be too long and heavy.

The S1 was top dog in my razor rotation for a while till the BB showed up. In polished state, and with a feather blade, the BB provides me with an effortless and smooth shave that's significantly 'closer' and long lasting than what I achieve with the S1. Both are capable of easy BBS shaves, the BB just gets me there with less effort and buffing.

Are you asking B&B whether to purchase another anything? Seriously?

BUY BOTH!! Buy another! Do you feel better now? :lol:

I've owned a few of the ATT plates and all three current production handles (M1, M2, S1, S2, atlas, kronos etc.). My favourite plate is the S1 as I found it most effective for my skin and hair combination (very sensitive skin, super course hair) when mated to a Feather, Kai or Gillette 7 0'Clock yellow blade. For the handles, the Atlas is gorgeous, knurling is too sharp and deep and it's too small; the Kronos is a good size and heft but it's a bit conventional looking, and I find the third (can't remember the name) to be too long and heavy.

The S1 was top dog in my razor rotation for a while till the BB showed up. In polished state, and with a feather blade, the BB provides me with an effortless and smooth shave that's significantly 'closer' and long lasting than what I achieve with the S1. Both are capable of easy BBS shaves, the BB just gets me there with less effort and buffing.
Hello will the Bb handle fit the ATT?

Top Bottom