What's new

ATT/Timeless/Brand X vs AS-D2

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I currently use and very much like an AS-D2, but I am curious about comparably constructed and priced razors offering great comfort but probably a tad more aggressive nature, capable of BBS without the patience and persistence the AS-D2 sometimes requires. How would the ATT and Timeless offerings compare and/or fill the bill? What other worthy contender is especially noteworthy. Bonus points for MIUSA.

Both the ATT and Timeless are excellent razors. I have the Timeless Ti .68SB and the ATT Windsor with the SSR1 and CM1 (Copper) plates. Of the two my preference is The Timeless with the ATT CM1 right behind. Both can produce a BBS shave with little effort. I have never used an AS-D2 but you cannot go wrong with a Timeless or ATT Windsor. I would also add the Karve is right up there also probably with the B SB plate.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Both the ATT and Timeless are excellent razors. I have the Timeless Ti .68SB and the ATT Windsor with the SSR1 and CM1 (Copper) plates. Of the two my preference is The Timeless with the ATT CM1 right behind. Both can produce a BBS shave with little effort. I have never used an AS-D2 but you cannot go wrong with a Timeless or ATT Windsor. I would also add the Karve is right up there also probably with the B SB plate.
Thanks!

I have the AS-D2 and it used to be my main razor with the GSC Calypso OC razor as my 3+ Day growth hacker. Couldn’t use the OC daily, and at times I wanted the AS-D2 to be more efficient - and it was angle finicky....

I have Karve in AA-SB & OC and A-SB & OC. The A-SB feels milder then the Feather - good buffing razor... and the AA-SB is too mild(?).

The OC-A & AA are better at handling 3+ days growth with the OC-AA even smoother than the Feather. They ‘feel’ more efficient.

If you wanted to try the Karve route; I suggest trying the OC-B & A + SB-B plates.

A tip regarding the AS-D2 is that the lather needs be on the ‘thinner’ side due to the razor being mild; too dense and cushy and it will do the the razor no favours - you still want slick though...

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have the AS-D2 and it used to be my main razor with the GSC Calypso OC razor as my 3+ Day growth hacker. Couldn’t use the OC daily, and at times I wanted the AS-D2 to be more efficient - and it was angle finicky....

I have Karve in AA-SB & OC and A-SB & OC. The A-SB feels milder then the Feather - good buffing razor... and the AA-SB is too mild(?).

The OC-A & AA are better at handling 3+ days growth with the OC-AA even smoother than the Feather. They ‘feel’ more efficient.

If you wanted to try the Karve route; I suggest trying the OC-B & A + SB-B plates.

A tip regarding the AS-D2 is that the lather needs be on the ‘thinner’ side due to the razor being mild; too dense and cushy and it will do the the razor no favours - you still want slick though...
Totally agree on the lather comment, but that is my preference with any razor.

Reactions: ryp
Tiravine, did you ever settle on something comparable to but slightly more aggressive than the ASD2?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I have both timeless ti 68 sc & as-d2, they give me similar skin feel, both are very comfortable razors. Among them, ti68 seems to tolerate a little more angle change.
I am willing to choose one of them and use it for a lifetime on a desert island.

If you want to increase efficiency, using the base plate of the Gillette new sc with the as-d2 is also an interesting combination; the open comb increases the usable angle of the as-d2 without detracting from the mildness, and the two-tone look is luxurious.
img_1_1641822085720.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Tiravine, did you ever settle on something comparable to but slightly more aggressive than the ASD2?
I did. My son in law now uses the AS-D2, and I use an Above the Tie Windsor. I have the mild and regular copper plates. I use the mild more, but the regular is fun, too. I am a happy camper.

Top Bottom