What's new

Att se1

Yep this exactly the issue I had with both heads I tried.

I had the same problem. Stan said to send back the cap and he would replace it. Hope to get it this week. Here is a photo showing how the blade stays true to the cap but is no longer square to the base plate. That's a Feather Pro Guard blade.

$_1150624-1.jpg

I had the same problem. Stan said to send back the cap and he would replace it. Hope to get it this week. Here is a photo showing how the blade stays true to the cap but is no longer square to the base plate. That's a Feather Pro Guard blade.

View attachment 718280

yep that's it. The little notches in the bar shows it clearly. Same issue I had. Thing is I was sent another head and this had the same problem and even when mixing cap and plates around I still had the same thing.

yep that's it. The little notches in the bar shows it clearly. Same issue I had. Thing is I was sent another head and this had the same problem and even when mixing cap and plates around I still had the same thing.
If you look at the cap, you can see that it is not aligned with the base plate (see bottom of picture). You must align the cap with the locating notch along the back of the base plate (again bottom of picture).

I wonder how many caps have been returned to Stan just because they have been assembled incorrectly?
Most of them IMHO. Unfortunately, it requires precision to assemble, unlike the DEs, where you have the posts that lines everything with no "wrong" position available. Since each blade gives me 12+ shaves, I don't really mind the extra few seconds to make sure it sits correctly when replaced.

I wonder how many caps have been returned to Stan just because they have been assembled incorrectly?

Excuse me but it's not assembled incorrectly! That's the point. With both the heads I tried I could actually get it aligned but I had to push back on the right side of the cap to hold it against that little raised back wall and then tighten it all the way. The point is you shouldn't have to do this.

Excuse me but it's not assembled incorrectly! That's the point. With both the heads I tried I could actually get it aligned but I had to push back on the right side of the cap to hold it against that little raised back wall and then tighten it all the way. The point is you shouldn't have to do this.
Why? How else can you align it if you don't hold it against the proper groove? I don't try to imply anything, I'm just confused about how you align the cap.

Basically the caps back edge should automatically fit more snug against that back raised notch on the baseplate when tightening down.

Yes, that is what the little raised back wall is for, to align the top plate.

Why? How else can you align it if you don't hold it against the proper groove? I don't try to imply anything, I'm just confused about how you align the cap.

But I do and did from the beginning hold it against that back edge with a finger in the middle of the cap but as you get to the last bit of the tightening that one side scootches forward.

Yeah obviously. See my above comment about the top cap needing to automatically sit much more snug to that back wall. Then it wouldn't twist out of alignment.
Yes it could be more positive perhaps, but very few people have trouble with it. I certainly have never experienced any difficulty aligning it. Perhaps Stan could look at it for any version 2?

This thread has taken a familiar turn. Take a look at post #89 and thereabouts, back in July.

--Bob

Already read that post. I didn't come to the same conclusion regarding it being machined to close tolerance. My point is that the opposite is true. Also whether I tighten slowly or quickly the same movement happens. It's absolutely a problem and nothing to do with inability to assemble correctly :001_rolle

Yes it could be more positive perhaps, but very few people have trouble with it. I certainly have never experienced any difficulty aligning it. Perhaps Stan could look at it for any version 2?

Sorry but I've now found tonnes of posts in different forums online mentioning it. Plus my store in the UK very much knows about it.

Sorry but I've now found tonnes of posts in different forums online mentioning it. Plus my store in the UK very much knows about it.

Well this is disheartening. I hadn't even shaved with the razor before sending the cap off for a replacement. The cap definitely needs to fit tighter to the back wall. As it is, the cap has some wiggle room while sitting down on the base plate and the torque of tightening the handle causes the cap to go to one end of the wiggle. It can be overcome by pushing back against the right side as seen in the photo but you risk pushing back against the blade as well. This simply should not be an issue in a $185 razor but it most definitely is an issue and needs to be fixed.

Top Bottom