What's new

ATT SE1 w/ Proline Blade = Match Made in Heaven

Hi everyone,

I recently read some posts about the Schick Proline Artist Club Blades, mostly gathering immensely positive reviews, especially on the Above the Tie SE1 and SE2, which I own. For perspective, I adore both the SE1 and SE2 and both are one of my favorite razors of all time, along with the Windsor R1. My favorite blades on the SE1/SE2 are the Kai Mild.

As per the reviews, I ordered 5 Schick Proline Blades from tryablade and they arrived on Friday. Today I decided to test them out with the SE1 and a proven shave soap (Mike's Natural Barbershop). During the shave, the blade very comfortable, extremely smooth (same as Kai Mild) but the results were even better than with the Kai Mild (Completely effortless BBS, while the Kai Mild always need some extra touchups). I feel the Prolines are a bit sharper while retaining that amazing smoothness, which is what we all look for in a blade. In Summary, these are the best blades within the Artist Club type, that I have ever used. I will be buying 2 packs of these as backup.

Furthermore, these blades seem to bring out the best out of the ATT SE1. You really can't get a more comfortable shave or closer BBS than this, period. This is gonna revive my passion for the SE1 once again. I had seen this Proline/SE1 combo was magical and I have to say I 100% agree with such statements. These blades are a complete game changer for me. I will be trying with the SE2 this week as well.

Anyone else has experience with this combination or with the Schick Prolines in general?

Umm...yes!

The SE1/Proline is my grail. I wouldn't be using AC razors if it wasn't for the Proline. It's pretty much the only razor I use.

The other blades don't measure up.

Be carefully with the SE2 and Proline, it's takes more focus, especially with V2, I have both V1 and V2.

I will be buying 2 packs of these as backup.

:a47:A whole 2 packs? They are the only AC blades I use, I have over 400 blades...

Welcome to the club!:a50:

Umm...yes!

The SE1/Proline is my grail. I wouldn't be using AC razors if it wasn't for the Proline. It's pretty much the only razor I use.

The other blades don't measure up.

Be carefully with the SE2 and Proline, it's takes more focus, especially with V2, I have both V1 and V2.

:a47:A whole 2 packs? They are the only AC blades I use, I have over 400 blades...

Welcome to the club!:a50:
yes man!!! Only 2 packs for now (60 blades) but will get more later!!! Amazing combination, dream like really!

Herbert can you compare the SE1 head to the v1 SE2 head? I currently have the v1 SE2 which I think is great...just not sure there is much of a difference between that and the SE1 head to warrant a purchase. Thanks

Herbert can you compare the SE1 head to the v1 SE2 head? I currently have the v1 SE2 which I think is great...just not sure there is much of a difference between that and the SE1 head to warrant a purchase. Thanks

I'm not Herbert but I have both.

With a Schick Proline, the SE1 has that sweet spot of smoothness/efficiency. My razor doesn't stop until I hit the strictest level of BBS possible, which last 14+ hours before I feel stubble break skin. The SE2 V1 will reach a level of BBS that last hours longer with a slight increase of blade feel. For me, it looses a little smoothness in favor of efficiency. And the SE2 V2 takes it a step further.

The SE1/Proline just has that no fear "get jiggy with it" feel to it.

My goal with any razor is BBS, some razors require more work(strokes) to achieve it then others. The SE1 and SE2 V1 are close in efficiency but the SE2 V1 is more efficient.

My technique: I lather once, shave in all directions starting ATG until BBS. Above my jawline only needs S-N, below needs all directions to BBS. Takes me about 10 minutes from building lather to last stroke.

I find the MMOC/GEM SS PTFE and SE2 V1/Schick Proline about equal in efficiency and feel. The SE2 V2 is more efficient and will bite if your technique is off.

I'm not Herbert but I have both.

With a Schick Proline, the SE1 has that sweet spot of smoothness/efficiency. My razor doesn't stop until I hit the strictest level of BBS possible, which last 14+ hours before I feel stubble break skin. The SE2 V1 will reach a level of BBS that last hours longer with a slight increase of blade feel. For me, it looses a little smoothness in favor of efficiency. And the SE2 V2 takes it a step further.

The SE1/Proline just has that no fear "get jiggy with it" feel to it.

My goal with any razor is BBS, some razors require more work(strokes) to achieve it then others. The SE1 and SE2 V1 are close in efficiency but the SE2 V1 is more efficient.

My technique: I lather once, shave in all directions starting ATG until BBS. Above my jawline only needs S-N, below needs all directions to BBS. Takes me about 10 minutes from building lather to last stroke.

I find the MMOC/GEM SS PTFE and SE2 V1/Schick Proline about equal in efficiency and feel. The SE2 V2 is more efficient and will bite if your technique is off.

I agree in all respects with rabidus. The SE1 and SE2 V1 are very very similar. I would rank them only 0.5 apart (if that, in aggressiveness. I get perfect BBS with both, so I like having them both depending If I want more blade or not, in that particular day.

This thread inspired me to order up some Prolines for my new SE1.

It will be interesting to see how they compare to the Feather Pro's (which I really like)

This thread inspired me to order up some Prolines for my new SE1.

It will be interesting to see how they compare to the Feather Pro's (which I really like)
oh man! Be prepared for the shave of your life! If you did well with the feather pros......the skies will open with the Proline, is that marked of a difference.

Thanks for the reviews/suggestions, I just ordered 2 from try a blade. After trying most or all of the Feather's and Kai's only one worked for me and that is the Kai Captain. Been using them in The General razor with mostly good results. Looking forward to trying the Prolines.

Just got this information from Stan (Above the Tie's facebook page):

"We are working to expand the Windsor line. I talked to the machine shop this evening about migrating the SE1 and the Slant S1 to the Windsor format. What does that mean? It means the Slant will have to be lengthened on each end 1/2 mm to cover the blade tabs. Then reduce the blade exposure for more rigidity in the blade. This results in an even smother shave. Lastly, redesign the shave ports to match the Windsor line. The SE1 will only have to have the shave ports redone so it will likely come on line next. You will likely see these additions early 2019."

Can't wait for the polished SE1 coming in early 2019!!! @rabidus

Holes or slots don't matter as long as everything else stays the same. I haven't explored the Windsor line, I'll have to look into them.

Top Bottom