What's new

ATT SE1 vs Razorock Black Hawk

Has anyone used both of these? If so, how would you compare them? I already have, and really like, the Black Hawk V2. For some reason (many of you will understand) I am looking at buying another AC razor. I'd love to buy a Blackland Vector, but I can't get my head around spending more than $100 for a razor. That led me to the ATT SE1 either with or without a handle. Will I notice much, if any, difference between the SE1 and the Black Hawk?

Ohhh I'm gonna comment that I would really like to hear the answer too.
I have a Mongoose AC SE razor and really like it, but it can be a tad bit aggressive. I was considering the Razorock Blackhawk as I've heard that they aren't that aggressive. But I am interested in hearing about the others as well.

I have a black hawk v2 and a stainless steel General, which I’ve heard is very similar to the ATT.

The weight of the black hawk didn’t work for me and the General might be the last razor I ever buy. Big difference to me in weight which I liked but if you like the black hawk you may not like.

I have a black hawk v2 and a stainless steel General, which I’ve heard is very similar to the ATT.

The weight of the black hawk didn’t work for me and the General might be the last razor I ever buy. Big difference to me in weight which I liked but if you like the black hawk you may not like.
I've also been eyeing the stainless steel hawk that should be re-released sometime this year. While I do like the lightweight aluminum Black Hawk, I also like my stainless steel Game Changer and Supply injector, so I might like the extra weight.

Has anyone used both of these? If so, how would you compare them? I already have, and really like, the Black Hawk V2. For some reason (many of you will understand) I am looking at buying another AC razor. I'd love to buy a Blackland Vector, but I can't get my head around spending more than $100 for a razor. That led me to the ATT SE1 either with or without a handle. Will I notice much, if any, difference between the SE1 and the Black Hawk?
Curious, if you can't wrap your mind around spending more than $100 for a razor then why consider the SE1? The current or discontinued version sold for $185 w/ handle and and $146 head only option when it was being Mfg'd and will likely be at $200+ range w/ handle and $146-163 head only option when the Windsor version is released. That would make it even more expensive than the Vector...

I would think reviews alone on the SE1 would tell you its a better razor and shave versus the Black Hawk V1 or V2 and likely the SS Hawk had garnered very positive reviews that rivaled the SE1 when it was existent and was only a limited release. They have been saying they would release a new batch since around Sept 2017 and that still hasn't happened... They've even leaked that there was a V3 in polished SS coming back in Dec 2017 and that hasn't happened either. I'm not sure at this point anyone will ever see one except for in the BST or the auction sites... If you can find one though I hear they are a good shave for the price but getting one for $60 probably won't happen again.

Curious, if you can't wrap your mind around spending more than $100 for a razor then why consider the SE1? The current or discontinued version sold for $185 w/ handle and and $146 head only option when it was being Mfg'd and will likely be at $200+ range w/ handle and $146-163 head only option when the Windsor version is released. That would make it even more expensive than the Vector...

I would think reviews alone on the SE1 would tell you its a better razor and shave versus the Black Hawk V1 or V2 and likely the SS Hawk had garnered very positive reviews that rivaled the SE1 when it was existent and was only a limited release. They have been saying they would release a new batch since around Sept 2017 and that still hasn't happened... They've even leaked that there was a V3 in polished SS coming back in Dec 2017 and that hasn't happened either. I'm not sure at this point anyone will ever see one except for in the BST or the auction sites... If you can find one though I hear they are a good shave for the price but getting one for $60 probably won't happen again.
As rabidus mentions below, the aluminum SE1 is under $100 and I believe only the aluminum SE1 is still available. In fact, the head only is $70. The stainless steel Hawk (should it be re-released) is $60. Since I really don't know if and when the SS Hawk will be available, I'm trying to find out how the aluminum SE1 compares to the aluminum Black Hawk.

I regularly use both. They shave about the same. Seriously. There's not much difference. It just depends which handle you like more. I've used quite a few single edge razors, and the Hawk and SE-1 are still the best for my face. I REALLY like the light weight feel of aluminum artist club razors. The Hawk is a much better deal at $30.

As rabidus mentions below, the aluminum SE1 is under $100 and I believe only the aluminum SE1 is still available. In fact, the head only is $70. The stainless steel Hawk (should it be re-released) is $60. Since I really don't know if and when the SS Hawk will be available, I'm trying to find out how the aluminum SE1 compares to the aluminum Black Hawk.
My bad then... I figured since you just mentioned the SE1, Vector, and the SS Hawk that you were talking about SS so thats why I posted what I did. I think the Aluminum SE1 is usually referenced by either Aluminum SE1 or Bamboo / Calypso SE1... I've never heard of anyone just calling it the SE1 as that has always been what the SS version has been referred to on the forum. Nevermind!!

My bad then... I figured since you just mentioned the SE1, Vector, and the SS Hawk that you were talking about SS so thats why I posted what I did. I think the Aluminum SE1 is usually referenced by either Aluminum SE1 or Bamboo / Calypso SE1... I've never heard of anyone just calling it the SE1 as that has always been what the SS version has been referred to on the forum. Nevermind!!
Sorry for the confusion; I should have mentioned aluminum. Bamboo wouldn't have helped as the ATT webpage shows both an aluminum and a stainless steel Bamboo SE1, although only aluminum SE1 razors are currently available.

Sorry for the confusion; I should have mentioned aluminum. Bamboo wouldn't have helped as the ATT webpage shows both an aluminum and a stainless steel Bamboo SE1, although only aluminum SE1 razors are currently available.
I don't think the Bamboo handle was that big a seller for ATT or anyone for that matter but 9/10 times when someone on B&B mentions the SE1, it is the SS they are referring to...

I don't think the Bamboo handle was that big a seller for ATT or anyone for that matter but 9/10 times when someone on B&B mentions the SE1, it is the SS they are referring to...
Interesting. My mind went straight to aluminum since the OP was comparing it to a V2 Hawk. That shows how much I missed between 2012 and 2018.

Interesting. My mind went straight to aluminum since the OP was comparing it to a V2 Hawk. That shows how much I missed between 2012 and 2018.
Even in the couple threads here on B&B that were about the Aluminum SE1, everyone in the threads still referred to it as either the Calypso SE1 or Aluminum SE1...

I use both the Razorock Hawk and aluminium ATT SE1 on a regular basis. I enjoy both, and find the relatively light weight of them an advantage, if anything, making them very easy to use. The SE1 might be a little more aggressive than the Hawk, but not by much, and its fit and finish is certainly superior (as it should be, given the price difference). The only very slight drawback with the SE1 is that I find it takes a bit of time to clean soap scum out of its nooks and crannies.

I use both the Razorock Hawk and aluminium ATT SE1 on a regular basis. I enjoy both, and find the relatively light weight of them an advantage, if anything, making them very easy to use. The SE1 might be a little more aggressive than the Hawk, but not by much, and its fit and finish is certainly superior (as it should be, given the price difference)....

+1

Top Bottom