What's new

ATT SE1 Impressions

Long time lurker here on the forum - longer than I have been wet shaving. I've been wet shaving for 4 yrs, but only with DE razors. I've progressed from a Merkur 34C - Rockwell 6S - iKon X3 - ATT S1/S2, using the Rockwell the longest, for 2 yrs, but recently discovered slants in the last year. The ATT S1/S2 has given me the best shaves by far, rotating plates and blades depending on days of growth. I have a fairly coarse/dense beard but really prone to irritation on the lower neck. I can't get more than 2 shaves out of any of the dozen and more DE blades I've tried. I've discovered that more efficient razors, partnered with face/skin apropos blades, gives me a closer shave with less passes/buffing and less irritation.

I recently started reading about AC razors. Thicker blade, more efficient, and smoother shave? Not sure why they were never on my radar before, but I was skeptical about "chatter" of a thinner DE blade. I'm not a gear hoarder and am reluctant to adopt new things. I like to stick with what I have and try to make it work. Shaving has always been a chore until I discovered DE, but I still wasn't 100% satisfied with my shaves. On a whim, I picked up an AC blade sampler pack from Try A Blade and an ATT SE1 head to partner with my Atlas handle, expecting I would be disappointed and probably return it. 3 shaves over a period of 3 days and I'm seriously impressed. Hands down the best shaves I've ever had. I've been shaving for 30 years. As I'm typing this, the 30 year number is sticking in my head and I'm wondering, why did it take me so long? No hyperbole, the SE1 and AC platform has been a revelation for me.

First shave with SE1 was with 4 days growth, a Feather Pro in the SE1/Atlas mowed almost as easily as the S2, but was more comfortable. I had a couple of small weepers after the second pass. While there was some tugging in some spots, the shave was sooooo smooth and comfortable. It was an odd tactile and auditory experience feeling the blade cut through every whisker efficiently down to the skin. I had to use a little more force to pull the razor across 4 days growth than I'm used to. The S2 would have slid across a bit better with less effort but not quite as comfortable, close and efficient as the SE1/Feather Pro. I shaved again the following evening, 2 nights in a row (rarely do I shave more than twice a week), this time with a Kai Protouch MG blade. Super smooth and irritation free with my usual Stirling prep, soap, and post. 3rd evening, added more hydration to soap and even better than the two previous shaves. Amazing...just amazing.

The Feather Pro was a closer shave, but I'm really impressed with the guarded Kai. I can't wait to try the other blades in my AC sampler pack. I could easily live with the Feather Pro or Kai MG in the SE1. I'm really really impressed.

I prefer shorter handles like the 3" Atlas, but might give the longer 3.5" Calypso a punt with the wider/heavier AC SE1 head. Weight distribution feels fine though as is. I love the barber-pole design of the Atlas. Super grippy. Best handle I own. I've never regretted any money spent on ATT hardware. Great company, customer service, and story. These are people I want to do business with.

I shave for comfort. I rarely go ATG and never attempt BBS - I'm more than happy with DFS. I do ATG sometimes with the S1/S2, but generally don't feel it's worth the effort. I was easily able to go ATG irritation free this evening with the SE1/Kai MG. The SE1 shaves as close as the S2, if not better in my circumstances, but also a little easier to achieve and with more comfort.

First post on the forum, I want to thank everyone on this forum for your participation. I wouldn't have started DE shaving in the first place, much less picked up an AC razor if it wasn't for the community. Sharing your experiences has been more helpful than you probably realize - I'm guessing I'm not the only one lurking here. I wanted to share my experiences and contribute to the greater wet shaving community. Thank You to everyone and happy shaves!

IMG_20210424_200512117.jpg

Big change, yes.

I watch YT shavers and they can shave everyday an wonder why I can't. I've been playing around with technique, pre, post, soaps, razors and blades for 4 years of wet shaving. I still can't shave like they do. Most have what I assume is leather for skin and/or 3 hairs per square inch on the face.

I don't need to shave everyday. But it's nice to be able to when I want to.

The ATT SE1 is a fantastic AC blade razor indeed. It gives consistently good shaves with any AC blade.

I find the razor head heavy so use a Maggard MR5 handle for a good grip.

I've also got the Razorock Hawk V3 series of AC razors. Much lighter and maneuverability is better and three plate options means there is something for everyone.

However the SE1 stands out on it's own in terms of efficiency and smoothness. Wish the head was a bit lighter.

We
Long time lurker here on the forum - longer than I have been wet shaving. I've been wet shaving for 4 yrs, but only with DE razors. I've progressed from a Merkur 34C - Rockwell 6S - iKon X3 - ATT S1/S2, using the Rockwell the longest, for 2 yrs, but recently discovered slants in the last year. The ATT S1/S2 has given me the best shaves by far, rotating plates and blades depending on days of growth. I have a fairly coarse/dense beard but really prone to irritation on the lower neck. I can't get more than 2 shaves out of any of the dozen and more DE blades I've tried. I've discovered that more efficient razors, partnered with face/skin apropos blades, gives me a closer shave with less passes/buffing and less irritation.

I recently started reading about AC razors. Thicker blade, more efficient, and smoother shave? Not sure why they were never on my radar before, but I was skeptical about "chatter" of a thinner DE blade. I'm not a gear hoarder and am reluctant to adopt new things. I like to stick with what I have and try to make it work. Shaving has always been a chore until I discovered DE, but I still wasn't 100% satisfied with my shaves. On a whim, I picked up an AC blade sampler pack from Try A Blade and an ATT SE1 head to partner with my Atlas handle, expecting I would be disappointed and probably return it. 3 shaves over a period of 3 days and I'm seriously impressed. Hands down the best shaves I've ever had. I've been shaving for 30 years. As I'm typing this, the 30 year number is sticking in my head and I'm wondering, why did it take me so long? No hyperbole, the SE1 and AC platform has been a revelation for me.

First shave with SE1 was with 4 days growth, a Feather Pro in the SE1/Atlas mowed almost as easily as the S2, but was more comfortable. I had a couple of small weepers after the second pass. While there was some tugging in some spots, the shave was sooooo smooth and comfortable. It was an odd tactile and auditory experience feeling the blade cut through every whisker efficiently down to the skin. I had to use a little more force to pull the razor across 4 days growth than I'm used to. The S2 would have slid across a bit better with less effort but not quite as comfortable, close and efficient as the SE1/Feather Pro. I shaved again the following evening, 2 nights in a row (rarely do I shave more than twice a week), this time with a Kai Protouch MG blade. Super smooth and irritation free with my usual Stirling prep, soap, and post. 3rd evening, added more hydration to soap and even better than the two previous shaves. Amazing...just amazing.

The Feather Pro was a closer shave, but I'm really impressed with the guarded Kai. I can't wait to try the other blades in my AC sampler pack. I could easily live with the Feather Pro or Kai MG in the SE1. I'm really really impressed.

I prefer shorter handles like the 3" Atlas, but might give the longer 3.5" Calypso a punt with the wider/heavier AC SE1 head. Weight distribution feels fine though as is. I love the barber-pole design of the Atlas. Super grippy. Best handle I own. I've never regretted any money spent on ATT hardware. Great company, customer service, and story. These are people I want to do business with.

I shave for comfort. I rarely go ATG and never attempt BBS - I'm more than happy with DFS. I do ATG sometimes with the S1/S2, but generally don't feel it's worth the effort. I was easily able to go ATG irritation free this evening with the SE1/Kai MG. The SE1 shaves as close as the S2, if not better in my circumstances, but also a little easier to achieve and with more comfort.

First post on the forum, I want to thank everyone on this forum for your participation. I wouldn't have started DE shaving in the first place, much less picked up an AC razor if it wasn't for the community. Sharing your experiences has been more helpful than you probably realize - I'm guessing I'm not the only one lurking here. I wanted to share my experiences and contribute to the greater wet shaving community. Thank You to everyone and happy shaves!

View attachment 1256596
We are so thrilled that you love your SE1 head! Please let us know if there’s anything else we can do you. Happy shaving!

I started out with the v1 Hawk when it came out and have been using mainly AC razors ever since. I also have the aluminum General and the SS V3 Hawk. I use Schick proline and Feather pro blades. Welcome to the fold!

Now get rid of the guarded Kai blade and try the Kai Mild PINK (or a Schick proline). IMO, both the Kai Mild PINK and the Schick Proline are better than any blade in the Feather armamentarium, and non-guarded blades, in general, are superior to guarded blades.

So, try a Kai Mild PINK or a Schick Proline and find your NEXT epiphany.

I, too, have switched over entirely to AC blade shaving, but I use open-blade razors exclusively (Feather SS, Kai Kasho, and the Mythus, which is a clone of the Kai Luffy). AC blade shaving FTW!

4th day in a row shaving with the SE1, but tried a Schick Proline tonight. A skosh more efficient than the Kai MG but just as comfortable. I now understand why the Schick Proline is so well loved. Possibly the best shave I've ever had. Very smooth, zero irritation, and efficient. I was able to go ATG in tricky areas with ease.

I went for a cooling menthol shave tonight. Stirling Mentha pre-shave oil and menthol crystals in the DG Opulence soap.

Last edited:
Yes, Taj. Super soft and great for face lathering, otherwise I prefer my stiffer backboned Omega 10049 when bowl lathering.

My first AC razor was the Feather Artist Club SS.

I realized while it's a great shaver, it requires the utmost focus and concentration. Not for me, as I like to shave on "autopilot".

So, I switched to AC-type SE razors. My first one was RR Hawk V3-SB, shortly followed by Blackland Vector.

Since getting the Vector, I've retired all my other razors. I couldn't be happier.

To the OP .... Thank you for a wonderful post, and congratulations on your terrific experience. Welcome to B & B !
I have also just recently become curious about SE shaving, after several years of happiness with my DE razors.
So, ..... just yesterday, I ordered the stainless steel RazoRock Hawk v3 with a pack of Schick P30 ProLine AC blades.
I am looking forward to new shaving horizons, and I hope to enjoy the SE shave as much as you are.

My first AC razor was the Feather Artist Club SS.

I realized while it's a great shaver, it requires the utmost focus and concentration. Not for me, as I like to shave on "autopilot".

So, I switched to AC-type SE razors. My first one was RR Hawk V3-SB, shortly followed by Blackland Vector.

Since getting the Vector, I've retired all my other razors. I couldn't be happier.

While I like to take my time and enjoy the shave (I usually spend 30min including prep/post), the SE1 has been the first razor I would describe as "autopilot" for me. The AC blades just mow down everything effortlessly, smooth, and irritation free with little effort, requiring a modicum of technique compared to all my other DE razors. The SE1/Atlas feels very balanced and comfortable in my hand. Again, I'm not a newbie, I've been shaving with DE razors for 4 years. I don't claim to be a shaving expert either, but I know my face better than anyone. It feels like I've tried every pre/post, soap, blades and technique. The SE1 and AC platform has been here the whole time, I just needed to discover it.

The number one reason why I shave is for comfort. If I let the whiskers go more than 3-4 days, they start curling into my neck causing irritation and red break-outs on the lower neck. I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the AC platform is better for me than DE. I do still get great shaves from my DE razors, but it's hit or miss and not consistent. Other than a couple of weepers with the Feather Pro on my first attempt with the SE1, I've had 6 perfect shaves with the SE1 with 3 different blades. The Kai MG and Schick Proline have been flawless.

I just got back from a short vacation with 4 days of growth. Tonight, I shaved with a Proline on 3rd use and Stirling Mentha pre-shave oil/Razorock SMdF soap. SMdF isn't the most protective soap, requiring a little more care and attention when dragging the blade, but it turned out to be a perfect, uber close shave. Post-shave was the partnering SMdF splash and Stirling unscented/menthol shave balm. Amazing post-shave skin feel and BBS in most directions. Effortless and irritation free.

To the OP .... Thank you for a wonderful post, and congratulations on your terrific experience. Welcome to B & B !
I have also just recently become curious about SE shaving, after several years of happiness with my DE razors.
So, ..... just yesterday, I ordered the stainless steel RazoRock Hawk v3 with a pack of Schick P30 ProLine AC blades.
I am looking forward to new shaving horizons, and I hope to enjoy the SE shave as much as you are.

I hope you enjoy the v3. Please report back.

Now get rid of the guarded Kai blade and try the Kai Mild PINK (or a Schick proline). IMO, both the Kai Mild PINK and the Schick Proline are better than any blade in the Feather armamentarium, and non-guarded blades, in general, are superior to guarded blades.

So, try a Kai Mild PINK or a Schick Proline and find your NEXT epiphany.

I, too, have switched over entirely to AC blade shaving, but I use open-blade razors exclusively (Feather SS, Kai Kasho, and the Mythus, which is a clone of the Kai Luffy). AC blade shaving FTW!

Kai Mild will be the next blade I try. I could easily live with the Feather Pro, Kai MG, or Schick Proline. The MG would place 3rd though. It seems like when wet shavers discover AC and really enjoy the platform, they rarely go back to DE as a daily driver.

Top Bottom