What's new

ATT S2, and the new wet shaver

Everyone seems to be promoting the same blades for the S2. I concur: Polsilver; Voskhod; Gillette OC Black. The Feather works great as well, but I shave daily and it is just too much blade for my tender face............

There's no such thing as a tough child - if you parboil them first for seven hours, they always come out tender.
― W.C. Fields

I find the difference between the S1 and S2 to be pretty significant. I started with the S2, but found it was just a bit too much for me to use every day. I got the S1 and it was an entirely different story, it was much more comfortable for me to use as a daily driver. The S2 is excellent when I'm dealing with 2 or 3 day's growth, but when I'm shaving every day, I prefer the S1.

That said, they are both superb and I wouldn't part with either of them.

I find the difference between the S1 and S2 to be pretty significant. I started with the S2, but found it was just a bit too much for me to use every day. I got the S1 and it was an entirely different story, it was much more comfortable for me to use as a daily driver. The S2 is excellent when I'm dealing with 2 or 3 day's growth, but when I'm shaving every day, I prefer the S1.

That said, they are both superb and I wouldn't part with either of them.

Thank you, that is what I was looking for.

I ordered a sampler pack from Maggardrazors.com with all of the suggested blades. Thanks guys! They allow a custom built sampler which is awesome. I can't wait to try them all out.

Everyone seems to be promoting the same blades for the S2. I concur: Polsilver; Voskhod; Gillette OC Black. The Feather works great as well, but I shave daily and it is just too much blade for my tender face............

There's no such thing as a tough child - if you parboil them first for seven hours, they always come out tender.
― W.C. Fields

I totally agree with this. I love to, on a Saturday, put in a Feather, and take my time trying to get the ultimate shave. I could not do this daily by any stretch of the imagination.

So. I changed out the Wilkinson Sword blade I have been using with a fresh Sputnik blade this morning. The Sputnik is definitely sharper than the Sword and really smooth. got a really close and irritation free shave this morning with these blades. I'm going to shave this blade out and patiently wait for the other recommendations to arrive from Maggard's...... Looks like the Wilkinsons are going back into the medicine cabinet. Lol. By next week I should be getting my sample pack in and see where we go from there! Loving it!

I started with the GSB's in my S2 Kronos. Those are my go to blade. I experiment with different blades from time to time just to keep things interesting. I have tried Wilkinson Swords, Astra's, Gillette 7'oclock black, Dorco, Personna can't remember which one. I generally always reach for the Gillette silver blues. I tried my first feather a couple of days ago and it was less forgiving resulting in a few little weepers. Nothing that the styptic pencil didn't remedy. I honestly have been thinking about these feathers for a while now and just got my courage to try them. I have found that it is extremely sharp and despite a couple weepers on my first shave with them its honestly the closest shave I have ever had. The results were amazing. I honestly could skip shaving for another day but who wants that so I will probably be purchasing some feathers in the future to keep on hand when I want the closest smoothest shave. I think the GSB's will still be my go to for every day and when I want something a little nicer then use the feathers. I only had a couple of weepers the first day and every day after that have been nothing but getting better. Every blade is different and you have to compensate for that by not always chasing the BBS as much and just enjoying the experience and different selections. I honestly like the name feathers as I feel you should only be shaving with a feather touch to get an amazing shave. I feel I have no need for another base plate. The S2 is smooth enough but aggressive enough for taking down a decent growth. I use it everyday and have no desire for anything else but different blades and different soaps. I used a Micro touch one for about a month before I jumped straight to the S2 on recommendations from B&B and have no regrets. Honestly will probably be the last razor I will ever need except for when I jump on the straight razor train one of these days... :lol: But as everyone says YMMV so good luck in your journey.

I started with the GSB's in my S2 Kronos. Those are my go to blade. I experiment with different blades from time to time just to keep things interesting. I have tried Wilkinson Swords, Astra's, Gillette 7'oclock black, Dorco, Personna can't remember which one. I generally always reach for the Gillette silver blues. I tried my first feather a couple of days ago and it was less forgiving resulting in a few little weepers. Nothing that the styptic pencil didn't remedy. I honestly have been thinking about these feathers for a while now and just got my courage to try them. I have found that it is extremely sharp and despite a couple weepers on my first shave with them its honestly the closest shave I have ever had. The results were amazing. I honestly could skip shaving for another day but who wants that so I will probably be purchasing some feathers in the future to keep on hand when I want the closest smoothest shave. I think the GSB's will still be my go to for every day and when I want something a little nicer then use the feathers. I only had a couple of weepers the first day and every day after that have been nothing but getting better. Every blade is different and you have to compensate for that by not always chasing the BBS as much and just enjoying the experience and different selections. I honestly like the name feathers as I feel you should only be shaving with a feather touch to get an amazing shave. I feel I have no need for another base plate. The S2 is smooth enough but aggressive enough for taking down a decent growth. I use it everyday and have no desire for anything else but different blades and different soaps. I used a Micro touch one for about a month before I jumped straight to the S2 on recommendations from B&B and have no regrets. Honestly will probably be the last razor I will ever need except for when I jump on the straight razor train one of these days... :lol: But as everyone says YMMV so good luck in your journey.

Totally agree! Now that I tried the Sputnik and got such an awesome result, I am rethinking the 'need' for a S1 baseplate.

A little off topic, but how is the Microtouch One, and how did you like the performance? I have been thinking of gifting a bro-in-law who has been showing some interest in a DE. I have a Feather Popular and IMO it is too light, too forgiving, and easy to shave to be a good choice for a beginner. Looking back, which is not that far back BTW, it gave me some bad habits, and I am glad I jumped on the more aggressive razor sooner than later. These bad habits might have been harder to break.

Personally I would look into something a bit better for someone starting off. I literally used the micro touch one for about 3 weeks. The quality control on the micro touch one is awful. There was more blade exposure on one side of the razor and none on the other. I would look to spend an extra 20 dollars and buy the razorock slab as it has a stainless handle made by Ikon I believe. It is a much better option. I am glad I tried the micro touch one as I realize now what a good razor ATT s2 is. I bought the Razorock slab for my fiance and she doesn't even use it. I was trying to convert her but she has only used it once or twice. I have been meaning to test it out for myself but I can't put my ATT razor down. I never used to shave everyday but I figured I enjoy this soo much more now why not keep a clean appearance. I am not knocking anyone using the micro touch as everyone has to find what works for them but for me I couldn't wait to get something that wasn't out of spec. I have heard its a rebranded weishi and also the weishi gets a lot of praise here on B&B from our fellow members. The Razorock slab is 40 bucks and the handle is worth every bit of that. The only reason I am glad I bought the micro touch one was because I was researching it after buying it which is backwards from what I should have done but it led me to B&B and I found the guidance that seems to suit me for my shaving needs. Also the micro touch one is also light too. Look at the Razorock slab. I wish I could let you know how it shaved. I have heard it has an Edwin Jagger head on it so I would imagine it would be a great entry level razor to try DE shaving with out throwing a lot of money out at first. The Razorock slab also has a bit of weight to it which will teach the habits of not putting too much pressure like the micro touch one might lead to. I don't think its as hefty as the ATT razor I much enjoy but it seems to have nice weight. But I too am new to this since January but this is what seems to work for me. Maybe someone else with more experience will shine some knowledge in on this too. Best of luck and let me know what you end up with for your brother in law. I would love to hear what you ended up getting him for a start up and what he likes and dislikes about what you have chosen.

Totally agree! Now that I tried the Sputnik and got such an awesome result, I am rethinking the 'need' for a S1 baseplate.

A little off topic, but how is the Microtouch One, and how did you like the performance? I have been thinking of gifting a bro-in-law who has been showing some interest in a DE. I have a Feather Popular and IMO it is too light, too forgiving, and easy to shave to be a good choice for a beginner. Looking back, which is not that far back BTW, it gave me some bad habits, and I am glad I jumped on the more aggressive razor sooner than later. These bad habits might have been harder to break.

For twenty ish bucks, you could buy him a Maggard, which is a really decent shaver, and have a huge choice of different stainless handles.

Personally I would look into something a bit better for someone starting off. I literally used the micro touch one for about 3 weeks. The quality control on the micro touch one is awful. There was more blade exposure on one side of the razor and none on the other. I would look to spend an extra 20 dollars and buy the razorock slab as it has a stainless handle made by Ikon I believe. It is a much better option. I am glad I tried the micro touch one as I realize now what a good razor ATT s2 is. I bought the Razorock slab for my fiance and she doesn't even use it. I was trying to convert her but she has only used it once or twice. I have been meaning to test it out for myself but I can't put my ATT razor down. I never used to shave everyday but I figured I enjoy this soo much more now why not keep a clean appearance. I am not knocking anyone using the micro touch as everyone has to find what works for them but for me I couldn't wait to get something that wasn't out of spec. I have heard its a rebranded weishi and also the weishi gets a lot of praise here on B&B from our fellow members. The Razorock slab is 40 bucks and the handle is worth every bit of that. The only reason I am glad I bought the micro touch one was because I was researching it after buying it which is backwards from what I should have done but it led me to B&B and I found the guidance that seems to suit me for my shaving needs. Also the micro touch one is also light too. Look at the Razorock slab. I wish I could let you know how it shaved. I have heard it has an Edwin Jagger head on it so I would imagine it would be a great entry level razor to try DE shaving with out throwing a lot of money out at first. The Razorock slab also has a bit of weight to it which will teach the habits of not putting too much pressure like the micro touch one might lead to. I don't think its as hefty as the ATT razor I much enjoy but it seems to have nice weight. But I too am new to this since January but this is what seems to work for me. Maybe someone else with more experience will shine some knowledge in on this too. Best of luck and let me know what you end up with for your brother in law. I would love to hear what you ended up getting him for a start up and what he likes and dislikes about what you have chosen.

Thank you for the heads up! I will look at what the Razorock has to offer.:thumbup1:

Got my sampler pack in the mail today from Maggard's! Perfect timing as the Sputnik is about shaved out today. Going into it tomorrow morning! wish me luck! :thumbup:

Just got the S2 in to compliment my S1. Is thing thing heavier than the S1? I noticed when I assembled it that it seemed a tad head heavy on my UFO Colibri while the S1 seemed fairly neutral. It looks like I'll be using my Kaiser tomorrow to even the balance. Looking forward to trying an open comb slant finally!

Just got the S2 in to compliment my S1. Is thing thing heavier than the S1? I noticed when I assembled it that it seemed a tad head heavy on my UFO Colibri while the S1 seemed fairly neutral. It looks like I'll be using my Kaiser tomorrow to even the balance. Looking forward to trying an open comb slant finally!

Can you give me thoughts on the S2 vs S1, in your opinion after your shave? Thanks!

Loaded up the Astra SP this morning. WOW. I can see why so many folks love this blade. Sharp enough to give absolutely no tugging yet very smooth shaving. I got a little too excited and gave myself a tiny weeper trying to get a stubborn hair, but that way entirely my fault in combination with my inexperience. I have others to try as well as soon as this blade shaves out! Awesome! Big Mahalos folks!

Can you give me thoughts on the S2 vs S1, in your opinion after your shave? Thanks!

I will admit I'd prefer to try it for a few more shaves. The Ladas I used in my S1 seemd to be less than satisfying in regards to its efficiency and feedback. In the S2 it was definitely smoother and more efficient. It is ever so slightly more aggressive but not irritating like an American New LC can be sometimes. No burns or nicks the first time out.

I think that trying it with a Vokshod where I can apply light pressure in the S1 will be the real test. So far the S1 with a Voskhod is my best comfort/closeness shave.

I will admit I'd prefer to try it for a few more shaves. The Ladas I used in my S1 seemd to be less than satisfying in regards to its efficiency and feedback. In the S2 it was definitely smoother and more efficient. It is ever so slightly more aggressive but not irritating like an American New LC can be sometimes. No burns or nicks the first time out.

I think that trying it with a Vokshod where I can apply light pressure in the S1 will be the real test. So far the S1 with a Voskhod is my best comfort/closeness shave.

Thank you for the insights! My curiousity for trying the S1 is too much! I broke down and purchased the plate at Above the Tie. So that'll be in the works soon!

Thank you for the insights! My curiousity for trying the S1 is too much! I broke down and purchased the plate at Above the Tie. So that'll be in the works soon!

Make sure you purchased a slant cap as well, because they are different than their regular caps. Unless of course you already own the s2. I just purchased an s1 atlas myself after hearing so many glowing reviews about it.

Last edited:
Just shaved with the S1 Monday night and the S2 this afternoon. I found the S1 to be super smooth and efficient. I also liked the blade's audio feedback, really loud! Got a great shave.

The S2 was a bit more efficient, but it also irritated my skin in some trouble areas. It's lack of audio feedback had me wondering if I was shaving at the correct angle. Whereas I had no issue finding the correct angle immediately with the S1. It was also a great shave but I couldn't do the touch ups I like because of sensitivity.

I'm going to keep testing between the two, but I definitely prefer both of these to my M1.

Also, as another twist, I'm going to send the one I like the most to get a cerakote finish as my Jürgen handle is polished and the head is a more matted finish. I'd like each to look the same.

Top Bottom