What's new

ATT S1 what was I thinking

In 2016 I picked up an Above The Tie S1 slant. I loved it and it was the only razor I used for several months. Then I strayed down the SE path. Shavettes, Generals, you all know the drill. Then injectors….then vintage DEs. Of course throw in a straight.

A few threads popped up recently about slants and I thought to myself, ”self, you have a slant, you should dig it out.”

So I opened the drawer of misfit razors and located the S1 buried under a couple old techs and a Mach3 handle (where’d that come from?). The S1 looked so sad and lonely. I felt a pang of guilt.

This morning I cleaned it off, loaded a fresh Astra SP, and face lathered Italian Palmolive over a 3 day growth of tough middle aged whiskers. The first pass was so shockingly smooth I chuckled out loud. The second pass, just as wonderful. I went in for a third effortless pass and was rewarded with BBS. The a/s yielded zero sting.

Great shave. The S1 is back in a big way! I’ll be enjoying this razor the rest of the summer and then some.

Why did I ever set this wonderful shaver aside? What was I thinking?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Why did I ever set this wonderful shaver aside? What was I thinking?

Probably the same thing I think occasionally, even though slants are pretty much my central interest. I also shave with SE in a couple of formats, and barber straights in both 1/2DE and AC styles. Lovely shaves, many of them.

But the ATT -- in my case -- S2 is "it." I do like to try other styles and mix things up. But yeah, always come back "home."

O.H.

In my recent email exchanges, going back to 2020, ATT said they had no plans on discontinuing the S1/S2, despite retiring the Classic series. I hope this is the case, otherwise I'll have to buy back-up sets . Really special razors. With the S1/S2 and SE1, I don't really need any other razors, but would like to give the Windsor a spin.

Hmmm…back in 16 I was so taken with the S1 I never considered the OC version. Now you have me pondering a purchase.

For those that have used both versions is their much difference? I would expect the S2 to be a tad more aggressive?

The S2 has a little more blade feel and offers more efficiency with longer hair growth. More than 3 days growth, I prefer the S2. S1 is slightly more comfortable as a daily driver, but not a huge difference for daily shaving between the 2 honestly other than the blade feel, or like you said, a tad more aggressive. YMMV.

The S2 has a little more blade feel and offers more efficiency with longer hair growth. More than 3 days growth, I prefer the S2. S1 is slightly more comfortable as a daily driver, but not a huge difference for daily shaving between the 2 honestly other than the blade feel, or like you said, a tad more aggressive. YMMV.

Thanks for the feedback.

Top Bottom