What's new

ATT R1 vs SSMR

I apologize in advance if the argument has already been dealt with.
I found out late that razor was the ATT r1 !
zero irritation and what a sound .
perfect for my face on the beard of 1 or better 2 days .
would anyone be able to tell me if the SSMR Windsor plate is perhaps too delicate compared to the R1?
Many thanks 🙏

I apologize in advance if the argument has already been dealt with.
I found out late that razor was the ATT r1 !
zero irritation and what a sound .
perfect for my face on the beard of 1 or better 2 days .
would anyone be able to tell me if the SSMR Windsor plate is perhaps too delicate compared to the R1?
Many thanks 🙏

They are nearly the same in terms of gap/efficiency.

The SSMR is just a tad less efficient, however the SSMR is in the Windsor range, which is way smoother than the classic R1 because the Windsor cap reveals minimal blade which reduces blade chatter/vibration, making it an ultra smooth razor.

I use the SSRH, which is very efficient with hardly any blade feel.

They are nearly the same in terms of gap/efficiency.

The SSMR is just a tad less efficient, however the SSMR is in the Windsor range, which is way smoother than the classic R1 because the Windsor cap reveals minimal blade which reduces blade chatter/vibration, making it an ultra smooth razor.

I use the SSRH, which is very efficient with hardly any blade feel.
Many thanks for reply 🙏
I’d like the Windsor for the blade cap so I ask about .

Reactions: nav
Did anyone discover whether the Windsor cap could be retro-fitted to the Classic razors (like the R1)?
It fits with the cap overhang of about a mm on both sides as it is longer. The dot blade stops perfectly align and fit with a blade in it.

It will be usable but looks strange.

CM base plate left most # 1, Windsor Cap # 2, Classic M2 base plate # 3, Classic cap # 4
20220303_130940.jpg

Last edited:
It fits with the cap overhang of about a mm on both sides as it is longer. The dot blade stops perfectly align and fit with a blade in it.

It will be usable but looks strange.

CM base plate left most # 1, Windsor Cap # 2, Classic M2 base plate # 3, Classic cap # 4
View attachment 1418371
Interesting! Great photo… it clearly slows the width difference, but matching posts.

Have you tried the Windsor cap on the Classic baseplate? Can you feel any difference or improvement?

Interesting! Great photo… it clearly slows the width difference, but matching posts.

Have you tried the Windsor cap on the Classic baseplate? Can you feel any difference or improvement?

Not the Windsor on the classic due to the odd overhang, but I did put the Windsor pro cap on the Windsor CM baseplate as its the same width as the classic and as long as the Windsor.

Result: The Windsor CM plate with the Windsor pro cap shaves exactly the same as the classic !

Left to right
classic, Windsor pro, and Windsor cap widths

20220303_202019.jpg

Not sure about the SSMR, but the SSRH is a wonderful combo.....smooth and efficient. If you're used to the R1 then the SSRH may be a closer match, but with added smoothness

Not sure about the SSMR, but the SSRH is a wonderful combo.....smooth and efficient. If you're used to the R1 then the SSRH may be a closer match, but with added smoothness
Many thanks .
I’d like the Windsor series and today from shop are available only the single razor or the SSMR/SSRH combo
If I can buy only one is better.
Buy from Italy is really expensive for shipping and tax .
So the Windsor SSRH I think will be my choice as you suggest .

Reactions: nav
Many thanks .
I’d like the Windsor series and today from shop are available only the single razor or the SSMR/SSRH combo
If I can buy only one is better.
Buy from Italy is really expensive for shipping and tax .
So the Windsor SSRH I think will be my choice as you suggest .
I really like the SSRH, but I haven't tried the SSMR so I can't tell you if one is better than the other. I do have the Windsor Copper M and R plates and the M is not very efficient for me. The R is really good in comparison, but the SSRH is even better....smoother and little more efficient than the CR1 Windsor.

I believe the older versions like the R1 may be slightly more efficient than the Windsor R plate due to having a little more blade exposure. If that is true, then I would have to assume the SSMR will be ever so slightly less efficient than your R1 while the SSRH may be slightly more efficient to equal, but smoother.

Hope this helps.

PS... you could also send @Above The Tie an email....or message them here on B&B. I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

I really like the SSRH, but I haven't tried the SSMR so I can't tell you if one is better than the other. I do have the Windsor Copper M and R plates and the M is not very efficient for me. The R is really good in comparison, but the SSRH is even better....smoother and little more efficient than the CR1 Windsor.

I believe the older versions like the R1 may be slightly more efficient than the Windsor R plate due to having a little more blade exposure. If that is true, then I would have to assume the SSMR will be ever so slightly less efficient than your R1 while the SSRH may be slightly more efficient to equal, but smoother.

Hope this helps.

PS... you could also send @Above The Tie an email....or message them here on B&B. I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

IME
The classic range had more "aggression" but less efficiency.

I.e. The classic suffered from blade chatter so whilst it felt aggressive, the efficiency compared to Windsor was actually reduced.
For my beard growth, higher blade chatter always provides sub-par shaves.

The SSRH is one of my all time favorites! It's so smooth and yet provides excellent efficiency!

IME
The classic range had more "aggression" but less efficiency.

I.e. The classic suffered from blade chatter so whilst it felt aggressive, the efficiency compared to Windsor was actually reduced.
For my beard growth, higher blade chatter always provides sub-par shaves.

The SSRH is one of my all time favorites! It's so smooth and yet provides excellent efficiency!
That makes sense. Never had the older R1, but, like you, really like the Windsor SSRH. One of my top performing razors.

Top Bottom