What's new

ATT R1 Calypso DE razor

Does anyone have one of these razors and what is your experience? This is the least expensive of all the other Above The Tie's and it's made of aluminum.

I have the Calypso M1. Really like the razor and recommend a Perma Sharp blade in it. Since I do shave my head the weight comes in handy. Handle is a home run as well. Wouldn't miss it!

I have the Calypso M1. Really like the razor and recommend a Perma Sharp blade in it. Since I do shave my head the weight comes in handy. Handle is a home run as well. Wouldn't miss it!
Thank you sir! The M1 plate supposed to be mild so I will get the R1 for the medium aggressive shave. Glad you like it. Is the weight substantial even though it's aluminum?

Hello Frankie0210,
I noticed your question so I thought I would jump in.
The aluminum Clayspo R1 is 40 grams while the stainless Kronos R1 is 109 grams. All other design specks are identical between the two razors.
Stan

Hello Frankie0210,
I noticed your question so I thought I would jump in.
The aluminum Clayspo R1 is 40 grams while the stainless Kronos R1 is 109 grams. All other design specks are identical between the two razors.
Stan
Thank you Stan for that information and Happy New year!! So the razor is not too light in your opinion! that's a big jump in grams. That was nice of you to jump in and you are the owner....Thank you sir!

Thank you Stan for that information and Happy New year!! So the razor is not too light in your opinion! that's a big jump in grams. That was nice of you to jump in and you are the owner....Thank you sir!
A few members told me the M1 plate was a little aggressive in their opinion.

I got some grey marks (from the beginning) on my M1 base plate (same thing for a friend of mine)
I suppose this is not easy to have a perfect anodized blue (opposed to a black one like razorock BBS)
As a daily shaver, this razor is smooth and enough efficient for my taste, love it.

I got some grey marks (from the beginning) on my M1 base plate (same thing for a friend of mine)
I suppose this is not easy to have a perfect anodized blue (opposed to a black one like razorock BBS)
As a daily shaver, this razor is smooth and enough efficient for my taste, love it.
Thank you!

I have an ATT Calypso with the M1 and R1 base plates. I tend to like razors on the more aggressive spectrum. The razor is light compared to the other razors I own, it takes a little getting used but feels good and very nimble. Being this light, it requires a tiny bit of force to shave off the whiskers as the handle is light and doesn't do the work for you.

The R1 works well. I would say it's at the upper end of medium aggressive. I used it this week with a Feather blade and it produced great shaves. I also have the M1 plate. I personally find the M1 plate to be slightly mild for my tastes and doesn't get much use, however the M1 plate is at the efficient end of the mild spectrum.

I would like to try the H1 plate to see how aggressive it is. I remember seeing somewhere there are plans for slant and open comb versions for the Calypso.

The ATT Calypso is the only ATT razor I've used. I think it's great and has made me want a stainless steel ATT, but I am on sabbatical this year so it'll have to wait.

Top Bottom