What's new

ATT Kronos R1 review

Good evening B&B. I had my first shave with an Above The Tie razor today, and thought I would offer my first impressions. I have listed my rotation to give you an idea of razors I like:

Modern:
Rockwell 6S, Rex Ambassador.

Vintage: Gillette NEW RFB, Aristocrat Jr 49'(#21 head), Gillette Popular(similar head to first gen #15 aristocrat), Fatboy, 46' aristocrat, 1934 Aristocrat.

The ATT razor feels very solid and has a nice weight to it. Threads feel wonderful, and I love the handle.
The R1 has been highly recommended over the years, so I decided on trying it first. The R1 plate has a little more blade feel than I usually prefer, but the shave was excellent. I had to go a little slower, but the end result was a 3 pass BBS. I tried it with a Yellow 7oclock, wonder if a Nacet or GSB would smooth it out a little.

Overall really happy with it and it will have it's place in the rotation. This was my last purchase before the 2019 sabbatical, and I look forward to mastering the R1 plate.

received_2214121198846277.jpeg
received_342245319930048.jpeg
20181217_160433.jpg

I moved "down" from more aggressive razors to the ATT R1.
It really hits the sweat spot for me.
Aggressive enough, but smooth overall.
Two passes gives a damn fine shave, if not a BBS.
ATT is often overlooked now that super high end stainless razors have grabbed the spotlight,
but the ATT razors are simply masterful instruments.
Great design, great manufacture, great finish, great shave.
I use it every shave, and nothing else comes close.

Thanks,
Curt

Do they still make the r2 and h2 plates with the atlas handle?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Call them and ask. They went through a lot of inventory with the Black Friday sale. Don't know if the intent was to close out old lines in favor of new ones or restock what sold.

The SS R1 is too aggressive for me, but my SS cap/Calypso baseplate Hybrid R1 hits the spot.

Enjoy, your razor, ATT is a good brand!

Nice review and a good of razor. The R1 is a perfect bit of kit, should be smooth enough for most whilst offering decent efficiency. I find a 3 pass shave is needed plus touch up to get close to the 2 pass performance of the Muhle R96 and ATT H1.

Personally I find the Gillette yellow blade to feel a bit rough on the first shave and its smooth spot for me is shave #3. With the blade feel on the ATT I'd say, do a couple more shaves with that same blade (unless you throw it after each shave) and see how that works. I preferred the R1 with an Astra SP over a Gillette yellow personally on the first shave.

Congratulations on a superb razor. I'm sure you will come to really like and you may find the blade feel to become more useful as you get to know it. Be sure to update in due course as it will be nice to hear how you find it with some more time.

Fwiw, you may find the next few shaves with the gillette yellow to become smoother, as it smooths out in a couple of shaves. I don't like that blade's character on such razors on its first shave.

Top Bottom