What's new

ATT Calypso Se

I have ATT r1 de razor and get an extremely comfortable and close shave with it. I am looking at the rest of ATT range and one which gives just as comfortable shave but a different experience. Ì have been looking at the aluminium SE razor . Any experiences or comparison to their de razors ? I did wonder about the blades though as it seems it uses Feathers, and I don't like their de blade.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I can't say about the alloy razors; I prefer stainless and don't own any of ATT's alloy line.

But in terms of design and function it should be essentially similar to the stainless AC razors. I've owned three of those (SE1 times two, and SE2) and have come to like them in a cautiously respectful way.

Feather Pro and Pro Super blades work OK but they do have that famous roll-off in sharpness as soon as you've completed your second shave. I tried the Schick Pro-Line AC blade (which must be ordered from Japan) and it was exactly what its fans claim for it: super sharp and stayed that way a long time.

For me AC can bite very easily. Maybe a better way to say that is "I may not have developed a good technique for AC yet." I found it challenging. I then picked up a pack of "training wheels" as some say: the Feather ProGuard. There are other guarded blades out there, it was simply a case of the Feathers being available for cheap shipping inside Canada. I`ve tracked blade usage and I`m above six shaves with one right now and still getting good shaves.

That may not sound particularly impressive but I shave my head. My hair is hard and can take down most blades in about six shaves.

I got interested in exploring slant razors for the next three months, so my return to AC will coincide with the return of spring (which is early summer a bit farther south...).

O.H.

I have the ATT SE1 in aluminium (with a knurled handle, not the calypso) and think it's a fantastic razor. I actaully like that it's lighter than the stainless steel; it handles really well and can get into inaccessible spots with no problems. I also like its appearance, which is holding up well, with a wipe down after each use.
I mostly use AC blades now, rather than DE, and think they are sharper to start with and stay sharper for longer. I'd say the Schick AC blades are the best, but it's a close run thing for me. Feather Pros are also good, and I'm using a Kai Pink I was gifted in the SE1 atm and have been surprised by the quality of the shave it gives.
The SE1 is not the mildest of the AC format razors. The Razorock Hawk and Mongoose I have are both milder. However, neither is it particularly aggressive. With care it will give an excellent blood and irritation free shave.

I have used both the stainless SE1 and the aluminum model. I like them both. As for blades my face likes the Kai Mild far metter than any other I have used. I don't like Feathers in this razor at all. Funny, when I give my SE1 a spin, I have trouble going back to my DE's. LOL.

Top Bottom