What's new

ATT Atlas R1 not giving close shave

So disappointed in the quality of the shaves I'm getting from my ATT -- just can't get a close shave at all... so frustrating.

I keep reading about wonderful shaves but I can't get an efficient shave from the R1 whatever I try. And I've tried every angle and try not to exert any pressure at all. Clearly something is wrong. Please school me how to get this right.

My setup

ATT R1, Kai blade, Fitjar Islands pre-shave, Stirling soap

Thanks!

I haven’t used the R1, but have used the M2, R2, H2 and S2. I couldn’t get a close shave with any of them except the H2, which is one of my favorites. I sold, traded or don’t use (anymore) the others.

On my face, the H2 is both very, very efficient, and face-friendly. A combination that’s hard to find.

Update: have now received and shaved with a Kronos handle. Results are pretty much the same but will keep trying.

Interesting about the open combs, have yet to try any of them.

I think that ATT razors are quality built but I just don't get good a shave as I do with my Timeless, CG or Blackbirds. Obviously, there are many happy ATT users, I'm just not one of them.

I found the H1 too much, nowhere as smooth as the R1 in terms of comfort. Figured I would master the R1 first.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So disappointed in the quality of the shaves I'm getting from my ATT -- just can't get a close shave at all... so frustrating.

I keep reading about wonderful shaves but I can't get an efficient shave from the R1 whatever I try. And I've tried every angle and try not to exert any pressure at all. Clearly something is wrong. Please school me how to get this right.

My setup

ATT R1, Kai blade, Fitjar Islands pre-shave, Stirling soap

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

You havent said if you've tried other blades. Personally, I found Kai blades lacking in sharpness. In my Fatip Grande I needed 4 full ATG passes and another clean up with a Kai for the same level of BBS I get from one ATG buffing pass and a light cleanup with either Polsilver or Gillette Yellow blades. So it might be the Kai blades just arent a good match for your beard type.

I'd try different blades and focus on using the same technique. I've tried over 20 different blade types in my Fatip Grande, only 5 work well and only 2 give me the shave I like.

Please answer the following:

* What are you comparing the R1 to when you describe it as not providing a close shave?

* What is your routine for the direction and number of passes?

This may be helpful in narrowing down the issue. I have the R1 and did not find it inefficient, simply not as tolerant of user errors (can be harsh, depending) as some other razors I've tried.

Yes, I have tried a number of other blades. However, I definitely would not consider Kai unsharp -- it managed to cut through my thumb very easily! So far have tried Astra SP that came with the razor, Feathers, GSB, Yellows, Permasharp, Wilkinson Sword but will keeping exploring blades.

3 passes -- sometimes 4, WTG, XTG, ATG. I have mapped my face.

I don't really have another razor to compare it to as I am a fairly recent (i.e. under a year) convert to wet shaving. From electric, never tried cartridges. It may well be my poor technique. The passes feel very smooth, not harsh at all but I still can't achieve a smooth finish on the face.

Yes, I have tried a number of other blades. However, I definitely would not consider Kai unsharp -- it managed to cut through my thumb very easily! So far have tried Astra SP that came with the razor, Feathers, GSB, Yellows, Permasharp, Wilkinson Sword but will keeping exploring blades.

3 passes -- sometimes 4, WTG, XTG, ATG. I have mapped my face.

I don't really have another razor to compare it to as I am a fairly recent (i.e. under a year) convert to wet shaving. From electric, never tried cartridges. It may well be my poor technique. The passes feel very smooth, not harsh at all but I still can't achieve a smooth finish on the face.

Yes, it sounds like you are doing everything correctly. In any shave that includes an ATG pass, you should be achieving a very smooth finish, particularly with a razor like the R1 which I would not categorize as mild. If you are applying enough pressure to engage the blade with the beard, I can't imagine what might be left to cause such a problem.

I don't own ATT razor, but not being able to get a close shave and especially with 3-4 passes, my bet, with all due respect would be a technique.

Even when you are very experienced shaver, something by your own admission you are not yet @Fedsbackhand you need to make adjustments and work on your technique for that specific (perhaps new to you) product you're using. New to the shaving, new razor, different blades, all require working to find that proper angle/pressure... etc.

That said, based on the specs. only, R1 doesn't seem to be efficient razor given it's blade gap, and I'm only speculating here. However given the number of passes you're doing, it should be able to give you close shave, almost anything out there should really - you just have to find the way.

It appears that all the obvious reasons for not getting a smooth shave have been advised. I had the same problem with the ATT M1 and had to move to the R1. At R1 I get an excellent shave. It may be that you need to make the step to the H1. Personally I found the H1 too aggressive for me.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Switched out the Kronos handle for the Atlas and got a closer but not a perfect shave. Beginning to think the ATG pass needs some adjustment in the angle. Face is smooth WTG and XTG this morning.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Switched out the Kronos handle for the Atlas and got a closer but not a perfect shave. Beginning to think the ATG pass needs some adjustment in the angle. Face is smooth WTG and XTG this morning.

Nice. Any razor may take time to dial in the angle with your growth pattern. The nice thing is you don’t seem to be getting any irritation.

I started with the H-2
Moved to the H-1 and stayed with it for a year or so.
Then moved to the R-1 choosing comfort over closeness and that was the sweet spot for me.
All the ATT razors gave a great shave with different blade feel/aggressiveness.
Perhaps the R-1 is too mild for your tastes, try moving up the the more aggressive H-1.
The Above The Tie razors are objects of pure perfection I delight in my daily shave.

Looks like you are on your way! Once you get this dialed in you may be fine.

Top Bottom