What's new

ATT - anyone prefer solid bar to open comb?

I too have an easier time getting a close shave with the open comb. While I'm familiar "pro-OC" arguments, I don't know - for certain - why OCs work better for my face and scalp.

What have I tried? Well, I own both handles, all six bases and two caps. I haven't written down a list of combinations I've tried and I'm not systematically studying the possible combinations vs day(s) of hair growth. I'm just not that patient.

I can say that it's been nearly a month since I felt moved to use any of the safety bar bases. Even so, it's really unlikely I'll break up the set. I love the engineering and the collection's continuity is important to me.

-Jon

Thanks, that's just the kind of experience I was looking for! I, too, am not compulsive enough to try all different combinations. I just want to get to the point where what I have is what I want to use and I don't have the desire to try other things.

I find I get some outstanding shaves from open combed razors, and I get some outstanding shaves from solid bar razors.

I do like the looks of an open combed razor, but performance is a toss up between the two.

I will go against the grain, I prefer the solid bar version. I use H and R plates both open and closed bar versions. I find I get a closer shave with the closed bar version. Both versions shave without irritation but I always seem to get a closer shave with the closed bars.

Which handle do you prefer? Does either seem to have better grip, better balance, better performance, etc.?

I use the shorter handle (Atlas) on my face, with the R2 base.

I use the longer (Kronos) handle with the M2 base on my scalp.

The longer handle works better for me over my ears and other dicey areas.

I shave my whole scalp and back of the neck with my left hand.

I'm left handed. I have trust issues - severe trust issues - with my right hand.

-Jon

PS: As I'm fairly new to DE shaving - ok, it's been 30+ years since I last wet shaved with a long-lost, long-forgotten TTO of unremembered make - the only tools I own are from ATT and I just wanted the full set. The longer handle just gives my left hand maximum positioning potential on the right side of my head and neck. Oh, and the knurled surface gives me a secure-feeling grip.

Last edited:
I also prefer the SB to the OC. I found the sweet spot with the M1 on my very first shave and have not looked back. The M1 gives me a shockingly smooth, easy shave. I have yet to find the sweet spot with the M2 despite changing shaving angles/blades/prep and giving the appropriate offerings to the shaving gods. In fact my plan is to exchange the M2 for an R1 for those times when I need a razor to mow down a heavy growth.

I generally prefer SB razors. Yes, OC can be closer, but, frankly it is easier in my opinion to cut yourself with an OC (especilly if you have any acne, ingrown hairs or other little bumps) --- and I'd prefer not to have to worry about that just before heading off to work in the morning.

I have the M1 and the M2. In general I prefer OC razors, and the same holds true with my ATTs. I like and get great results with both, but I find the OC smoother and more efficient if I have more than a day's growth.

Top Bottom