What's new

Atra razor blade

I don’t if this in the appropriate section. When my father passed away, my mother gave me his Atra razor blade custom made Gold with his initials on it. Is this a good razor? Should I start using the Atra instead of my Merkur 23C?

Will I get a better shave with the Atra?

I don’t if this in the appropriate section. When my father passed away, my mother gave me his Atra razor blade custom made Gold with his initials on it. Is this a good razor? Should I start using the Atra instead of my Merkur 23C?

My condolences on the passing of your father. Personally, I would keep the Atra razor as a fond remembrance, but continue to shave with the Mercur 23c. Much finer razor which will give you a better shave. Of course, everyone's beard, skin, etc. is different and YMMV.

My condolences on the passing of your father. Personally, I would keep the Atra razor as a fond remembrance, but continue to shave with the Mercur 23c. Much finer razor which will give you a better shave. Of course, everyone's beard, skin, etc. is different and YMMV.

I remember him shaving when I was a kid, all I remembered was him using a boar shaving brush a mug and a soap puck, he also used body soap!

Atra was my very first razor, bought it in 1981, when 3 or 4 hairs began to grow on my face. I used the wonderful aluminium handle for 12 years, replaced by the Sensor. I still have it. But is impossible to find the cartridges in Argentina. I found them being sold with the brand Gillette Vector made in India in the bay for a good price. But I don't miss the way it clogged between blades.

My condolences on your loss.

Which shaves better is a decision only you can make. No two faces are alike.

Atra was my go to razor for a long time. Decades. The cartridges have declined in quality and comfort. The only remaining manufacturing plant operates in China. Knowing a little about Chinese manufacturing and business practices I opted to discontinue use.

If you want to compare a cartridge shave to your DE I suggest looking for a Gillette Sensor, the twin blade model. The shaves are decent and it may or may not work for you.

Nothing wrong with your 23C either. Top notch razor and one I used for a while.

Definitely keep the Atra handle as a keepsake and cherished possession.

Attachments

• 71CE6B17-067F-47CA-8791-5D36C0DA4431.jpeg
    71CE6B17-067F-47CA-8791-5D36C0DA4431.jpeg
    757.5 KB · Views: 24
  • ACB4570C-6B31-4C28-9E10-997E0F2032DE.jpeg
    ACB4570C-6B31-4C28-9E10-997E0F2032DE.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
The Gillette Atra is an outstanding shaving system. The only potential problem is blade availability. You probably won't find them in stores. Check on Amazon or elsewhere for possible availability. If you find 'em, buy 'em and use 'em.

You can get Vector cartridges online. The ones with the green lube strip are very smooth. They also have a thing you can push from the back to clear out anything that gets stuck between the blades.
I don't use cartridge razors anymore, but the when I did, the Atra was actually my favorite.

I think I got the Vector cartridges at razor blades.com.

When my father passed away, my mother gave me his Atra razor blade custom made Gold with his initials on it. Is this a good razor? Should I start using the Atra instead of my Merkur 23C?

Atra (marketed as Contour in Europe) were Gillettes twin blade pivoting head cartridge system and not a match for you Merkur 23C. I would stick with the 23C if you want better shaves but keep working on the technique and trying other DE blades which may achieve better results.

Top Bottom