What's new

Atoma 1000 stripped diamond microscope shots

I took these for another site but thought some of the guys here might find them interesting as well. This is my Atoma 1000 that has been used only for slurrying JNats and other natural stones. There is an area on the plate that has been stripped of the diamonds down flat to the nickel base layer due to my making a little too much slurry for too long. The slurry gets caught between the stone and the base nickel layer and basically laps the nickel away, taking the diamond with.

First a full shot of the plate itself so you can see the area of interest:

20180906_120916.jpg

Now a couple of 25x images . First, the undamaged area:

20180906_120944.jpg

Next, the damaged area. You can see that the diamonds are knocked down flush and the base nickel layer has a "frosted" look topical of 3-body abrasion (tech term for loose grit lapping):

20180906_121002.jpg

Now we'll go a little deeper. These are at about 240x. First is a shot of the undamaged area illuminated with the scope's ring light. You can see that there are some diamond particles embedded in the nickel even between the clusters. The clusters are about 0.45mm in diameter:

20180906_121019.jpg

Next a high contrast shot showing better surface topology. You can see the entire surface of the diamond cluster is standing proud of the nickel base layer:

20180906_121042.jpg

Now a shot of the damaged area lit with the scope's ring light. Notice clear indication of 3-body abrasion (frosted look) of the base layer and the area where the clusters used to be:

20180906_121059.jpg

Here is another of the damaged area, this time slightly more contrast to show the flatness of the surface and better view of the frosted (3-body abrasion) surface:

20180906_121114.jpg

Finally, a high contrast shot of the damaged area showing what little amount of diamond remains and how the surface has almost been leveled completely flat. Compare this to the high contrast shot of the undamaged surface:

20180906_121135.jpg

Last edited:
Note also the comparison of the two shots lit by the scope's ring light. They don't look terribly different. This should give an idea why many scope shots are not very useful - most guys buy a scope and use the ring light. Lighting and angle are hugely important if you want to get any useful information from a microscope.

Top Bottom