What's new

ATG Question

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
When it comes to the upper lip the trick is to hold the razor still while moving your face against the razor. That and of course a good shaving soap.

Thanks! I sometimes do that with safety razors. It lets me know with blood when my blade was dull or I didn’t soak my whiskers well enough.

(1) good with ATG & ATG cleanup only.....with me WTG is just a formality. will have to shave more like this to make an informed decision. if history is any indicator....it will become a thing.

Yowza! I hope to follow in your footsteps again. On purpose this time. It’d be nicer to grab $130 worth of Japanese straight razors than $130 worth of Japanese Schick AC blades if this is a worthwhile way of stubble slaying. Even if I have to use non-ATG passes with a straight razor or buy a 10-15 year supply of AC blades at once, it’s not so bad, either.

(2) don't have the answer to that one. I can only reflect that its good to be a "on the young side" grandparent. it comes well recommended.

Thank you. I’m only on the young side of older parents. I just remember that seeing my future father-in-law and one of his brothers cleaning AK-M rifles at breakfast one planned morning didn’t stop me.

But the ATG-only straight razor shaving being possible sounds nice!

I do a single pass ATG on my neck every single time. Actually, my hair grows in every possible direction on my neck so I just go south-to-north one time and get everything cleaned up quickly, it is WTG/ATG/XTG depending on the neck region. Works great for me

I end every shave with ATG pass on my chin, lip, neck and cheeks. Holding the blade whilst moving your face is the best IMO, I watched Jarrod (TSS) doing this and thought I'd give it a go. This works partculary well on the difficult and tough areas such as chin and upper lip (fool's pass). Once the penny drops there is no turning back...

thombrogan

I watched Jarrod (TSS) doing this and thought I'd give it a go.

I don‘t know who that is, I’m sorry. Tried googling and saw someone thank him for help sharpening on an Arky, but not a direct source. What does TSS mean? My acronym translations quickly get outlandish. Thanks

thombrogan

Thank you! My brain started at guessing “The Sharper Shave” and stalled out

Dear Straight Razor and Shavette users,

Do any of you ever use your steely edges to trim whiskers in ATG-only shaves?

Thanks kindly

I go ATG routinely on my scalp with my Feather shavettes and straights. I start from the neck working outwards one side at a time; due to the ergonomics of holding a SR and the grain changes, strokes evolve into a kind of ATG / XTG hybrid as I progress round the side of the head, and I need to switch angle a bit from pass to pass to get BBS. Single pass? I'm not quite there I admit. Sliiiiiick lather helps.

On my face (I have a goatee so cheeks only) I can comfortably go ATG in one pass, but tend not to unless I need to look particularly smart for the whole day. I generally don't need to worry about a slight 5 o'clock shadow so don't bother: WTG/XTG is faster and a little less hassle.

I think you're right in that an uncluttered blade facilitates the shave - somewhat - but find this is offset by the amount of razor angle change needed in a single pass. After more than 18m of doing head shaves with an SR, I am still not as confident or as fast as I am with my RR Hawk. Definitely a more rewarding and meditative process though.

thombrogan

Thanks, @MurderousCrow

Funny you should mention the RR Hawk. If replacement Prolines weren’t either too costly or too unwieldy for a decent price ($12.10-$13.50 pack if buying 10 packs at once and $$$ otherwise), I doubt I’d be asking.

Thanks, @MurderousCrow

Funny you should mention the RR Hawk. If replacement Prolines weren’t either too costly or too unwieldy for a decent price ($12.10-$13.50 pack if buying 10 packs at once and $$$ otherwise), I doubt I’d be asking.

Just a thought - I find AC blades to last really well. I've never really used DE razors / DE shavettes, but I imagine this offsets the outlay a fair bit. I get about 8-10 shaves from a Pro Super blade, and about 12-15 from a standard sized blade like the Proline.

Have a good look around on Google - if you're in the States, Prolines are available in 30 packs for less than 25 dollars.

The only time I tried a single pass ATG shave was in the evening after having already shaved that morning. My experience so far confirms that it's all about beard reduction with each pass playing a part.

I totally agree with the beard reduction. Personally I’d rather need a shave than have a rushed single pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thombrogan

It’s not a hurry thing. It’s just my favorite way of shaving with safety razors, so I was hoping it’d be something that may be done with straights or shavettes.

Top Bottom