What's new

ATG Issues

Hi all, I have searched the forums and been unable to find the answer so turn to you for advice.
When I shave my next are north to south which is with the grain I can’t get a close shave, the only way I can explain it is that my hair seems to grow really close to the skin rather than outwards if that makes sense. I know hair doesn’t grow at 90 degrees but the hair in this area is a lot closer to my face than everywhere else.
To combat this I do 2 WTG passes here then against, the against pass can result in the area becoming a little red and irritated often. I have to use short strokes with no pressure which then forces me to hold the razor more towards the blade away from the tang to maintain a smooth action otherwise the blade bounces.
Any ideas that can assist please?
I use soaps and creams and I have tried prorasso preshave in this area too with little/no improvement.
I have a sloppy latter that runs slightly onto my chest when I shave, I have also tried fluffy thick lather like I use for my DE shaves.
Ps I can get a bbs in this area without irritation with my DE but it takes multiple passes.
With a straight I’m not looking for BBS, I’m happy with SAS but this area in my opinion it looks like a day old growth and is making my tie all bobbly haha!!

I maintain my razor on a 3 progression balsa and every 3 months I use lapping food to keep the edge sharp, but I’m no pro.

thanks guys

WTG, XTG and ATG. Use the heel of the razor on the difficult areas, also change the direction by 10-20 degrees on your passes where you typically get irritation. Subtle changes in direction can make a huge difference on sensitive skin. Beard mapping is critical, but can also be complex due to directional changes, understand them and evolve your routine.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Depending on the area being shaved and if you have a hand free, try holding the toe of the blade with your other hand. I use this method when going ATG on my upper lip (the fool's pass).

Thank you for your replies, re beard mapping, I have that sorted, I know where the hair changes direction. I will try changing my direction slightly.
I don’t have a free hand unfortunately as I keep my skin tight by stretching it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hi all, I have searched the forums and been unable to find the answer so turn to you for advice.
When I shave my next are north to south which is with the grain I can’t get a close shave, the only way I can explain it is that my hair seems to grow really close to the skin rather than outwards if that makes sense. I know hair doesn’t grow at 90 degrees but the hair in this area is a lot closer to my face than everywhere else.
To combat this I do 2 WTG passes here then against, the against pass can result in the area becoming a little red and irritated often. I have to use short strokes with no pressure which then forces me to hold the razor more towards the blade away from the tang to maintain a smooth action otherwise the blade bounces.
Any ideas that can assist please?
I use soaps and creams and I have tried prorasso preshave in this area too with little/no improvement.
I have a sloppy latter that runs slightly onto my chest when I shave, I have also tried fluffy thick lather like I use for my DE shaves.
Ps I can get a bbs in this area without irritation with my DE but it takes multiple passes.
With a straight I’m not looking for BBS, I’m happy with SAS but this area in my opinion it looks like a day old growth and is making my tie all bobbly haha!!

I maintain my razor on a 3 progression balsa and every 3 months I use lapping food to keep the edge sharp, but I’m no pro.

thanks guys

Lapping food, huh? LOL!

Try harder at stretching the skin. Try stretching "upstream" to expose the whiskers better and make them stand proud of the skin. This will make your WTG passes shave a bit closer, and if you use an ATG pass it should irritate less. Also on ATG, try laying the razor flat against the skin. You need very slick lather for this because the spine may drag and skip causing a jerky shave stroke. If you can't shave with the spine touching the face then elevate it just slightly, maybe half a spine thickness. Be sure you are hydrating your whiskers well before shaving.

I love that lapping film slash!! I really should proof read my posts! Few mistakes in there. Cheers for the tips.

Lesson leaned, tight means tight, funny what a bit of reflection can do after being pointed out. I simply wasn’t holding tight enough and pulling from different areas depending on the stroke

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Lesson leaned, tight means tight, funny what a bit of reflection can do after being pointed out. I simply wasn’t holding tight enough and pulling from different areas depending on the stroke
It really takes experience and you will, without doubt, figure it out - actually feel it out. Your hand, wrist should let the razor roll a bit to keep a proper angle in the curving places. Maintain light pressure and learn to shave more by feel and keep your skin stretched.

I think that was the final piece, I have a routine and I think I got a bit complacent and wasn’t stretching as much as I should. I’ve been having issue free shaves since this was pointed out to be and I realised I wasn’t doing the required amount of stretching.

Top Bottom