What's new

ATG asymmetry

Hey guys... I'm having a sort of vexing issue. I've been doing three passes (in the relevant area, it's N-S, then back-front, then S-N), and everything goes fine until I try to shave ATG on the left side of my face: the razor gets caught at first and I have to be very careful not to really slice up the bottom of my cheek. From there on, it really feels like I'm dragging a blade and I get shaving cream leftover on the cheek afterwards. Thing is, it's perfectly fine when I do this on the right side of my face, and I haven't been able to figure out any kind of asymmetry in my facial structure or beard structure that would be causing this. I've tried messing with the angle and backing off the pressure, but no dice. Any ideas what's going on?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Wait 2-3 days and look in the mirror to understand the direction of the whiskers.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hey guys... I'm having a sort of vexing issue. I've been doing three passes (in the relevant area, it's N-S, then back-front, then S-N), and everything goes fine until I try to shave ATG on the left side of my face: the razor gets caught at first and I have to be very careful not to really slice up the bottom of my cheek. From there on, it really feels like I'm dragging a blade and I get shaving cream leftover on the cheek afterwards. Thing is, it's perfectly fine when I do this on the right side of my face, and I haven't been able to figure out any kind of asymmetry in my facial structure or beard structure that would be causing this. I've tried messing with the angle and backing off the pressure, but no dice. Any ideas what's going on?

It is pretty typical for people who are dominat with one hand to have an issue on the opposite side of the face / neck.
This is likely a blade angle issue, and as Luc says hair growth direction.
After you are certain that you are truly shaving WTG/XTG/ATG based on your hair growth, take extra care to watch the blade angle when crossing over to the other side.
This seems to be confirmed by leaving lather behind.

Some people have this problem because it feels strange to shave on one side of the face with the opposite hand.

It is pretty typical for people who are dominat with one hand to have an issue on the opposite side of the face / neck.
This is likely a blade angle issue, and as Luc says hair growth direction.
After you are certain that you are truly shaving WTG/XTG/ATG based on your hair growth, take extra care to watch the blade angle when crossing over to the other side.
This seems to be confirmed by leaving lather behind.

I've already mapped my beard, and the whiskers on that side of the face are a mirror-image of those on the right.

It sounds like angle is the issue. Some lather is definitely being left behind and I feel a definite "skipping" sensation as I try to shave that area. I presume this means I need to decrease the angle, not increase it, correct?

Things have gotten a little better since my first post, but this area definitely still needs some work.

It sounds like you're just not shaving the same way on both sides, so the earlier passes probably aren't coming out as well either. Some ideas... Do an extra XTG pass at whatever angle works just on that side. Learn to shave with the other hand on that side. Change the grip on that side so you're holding the razor from the opposite side, perhaps so that the head is closer to your pinkie than your thumb.

You could also try a sharper blade if none of the above help

My blade sampler should be arriving in the mail soon, so we'll see if that helps at all, though I'm inclined to think this a technique issue and not an equipment issue.

Top Bottom