What's new

At What Point Does Too Much actually become Too Much?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Everyone, of course, draws the line at their personal comfort level. For some the size of the wallet factors in, and for others it's just personal comfort. There is no question that the law of diminishing returns is a real thing. While you might come close (might) to doubling your quality from a $20 razor to a $40 razor, you most definitely will not going from $200 to $400.

I think there are (at least) two questions to answer before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

1. Can I feel the increase in quality?
2. If yes, do I think it's worth the increase in price?

I have some nice razors, but for the past 6 years I've been using a Wolfman virtually every day I'm home. I got good shaves from the other razors, but I get slightly better shaves from the Wolfman. As I recall, I paid $155 USD as James was just getting started. Would I pay three times that amount today not knowing how good it was? Probably not.

The ATT Windsor is one of the few purchases I've made that actually delivers more value for the money than anyone has a right to expect. I have one as my travel razor and consider it the bargain of the century.

Aside from that, I have found precious few products that don't offer considerably more at much higher prices. Shoes, pens, cars, houses, guitars, etc. Some will insist you're only paying for the name. Well, where do you think that name got it's juice? From providing consistently higher quality products.

I spent my working life saving for retirement, and I'm often not comfortable with spending what I consider very large sums of money for quality I can live without, but I don't deny it's there. I drive a nice car. It doesn't corner (or accelerate) like a Lamborghini, but it turns out I can live nicely without those advantages.

So I think everyone should buy what makes them happy, and find daily joy using your choices. You can only spend it once, so decide where a splurge would bring the most joy.
You are one of those rare people qualified to comment on a direct comparison of Wolfman and the ATT Windsor. Care to comment?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
If you are asking the question, then you already know that you’ve bought too much. You trust don’t want to admit you’ve succumbed to one of the many ADs in life. Basically you are about to come out of the denial phase.

Yes, I've realized long ago that I've bought way way too much, and even unequivocally admitted that I realize that when I said that I agree with every word that bjm wrote.
But I asked "In what way" really because I didn't understand what you meant by what you wrote. But now when I read it, the meaning suddenly becomes very clear and simple. Such funny things happen very frequently - when you read or hear something for the first time, it seems completely unclear to you and you just don't get it. But when you read it for the second or the third time, the meaning suddenly jumps out to you and you immediately understand the whole point, and even wonder how could it be that you didn't get it when you read it for the first time.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I don’t like drawing any lines with hobbies. Life is too short

^^^ Agree with this. ^^^

matrix-cinematography-592.jpg

There is no line (with apologies to The Matrix). ;) :cool:

Personally, I am having a blast using lots of different razors, brushes, soaps, aftershaves, etc.....

For me this is FUN. I like figuring out new razors and seeing how much performance I can get from each shaving instrument.

I have three primary razor rotations:
  • Big Dogs
  • Runs With The Big Dogs
  • Fun To Use On Occasion
I intend on obtaining and trying new razors (and brushes, soaps, aftershaves, etc.....) that interest me, for whatever reason.

Bottom line..... no line for me. ;) :cool:

Why does it bother you what other people are willing to spend their money on? Or how much value artisans place on their time and creations?

Is having 250 “cheaper” razors too many? Is having 30 enough, or too much?

I have 3 razors at present, I’d be good with having only one but I have 3 because each offers something different. All 3 of them are probably outside the range of what you personally consider to be acceptably priced. It shouldn’t bother you, just like it doesn’t bother me that you feel the need to keep 30 razors on hand, which to me sounds pretty ludicrous. That’s my personal opinion, I’d never use 30 different razors and I’m not a collector.

Enjoy what you want to enjoy and let others do the same, it’s not worth losing sleep over.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have quite a clear picture of what I consider to be "enough":

The maximum amount I want to spend on a razor is £35.
The maximum number of DE razors I'm prepared to own is 5.
The maximum number of lather options I want to choose from per shave is 3
The maximum I want to spend on a brush is £20.
The number of brushes I want is 4. (I currently have more than enough brushes. I have 5)
I never want to face another DE blade drought. I went through that too often in my teens. I have around 600 blades, which should be enough.

I'm a frugal shaver. The most I've spent on a razor is $35 (plus tax); even then, that was buying one $15 razor and a $20 set of razor heads that I then used with the razor handle of the $15 razor. One of the best razors I've used was a Lord L5, which I bought for $5.25 (plus tax). My current setup cost me about $25, it includes a $10 razor head and the handle of a $15 razor. It provides me with a wonderful shave with a variety of blades.

TBH, I'm not interested in buying any $100 razors. While I would appreciate a stainless steel razor (including a stainless steel razor head), I doubt any improvement in the quality of my shaves would be either noticeable or worth the extra cost. That said, if anyone wants to gift me such a razor, I'd be willing to be proven wrong. 😁

I started with a feather as-d2 and an artist club dx shavette. I am now deep into the rabit hole, with a number of de, se and straights. I am still not able to get a better shave than i did with my initial setup. I would be a happy camper if i sold everything except for my initial setup. But it is like drinking one type of wine for the rest of your life:)

Everyone, of course, draws the line at their personal comfort level. For some the size of the wallet factors in, and for others it's just personal comfort. There is no question that the law of diminishing returns is a real thing. While you might come close (might) to doubling your quality from a $20 razor to a $40 razor, you most definitely will not going from $200 to $400.

I think there are (at least) two questions to answer before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

1. Can I feel the increase in quality?
2. If yes, do I think it's worth the increase in price?

I have some nice razors, but for the past 6 years I've been using a Wolfman virtually every day I'm home. I got good shaves from the other razors, but I get slightly better shaves from the Wolfman. As I recall, I paid $155 USD as James was just getting started. Would I pay three times that amount today not knowing how good it was? Probably not.

The ATT Windsor is one of the few purchases I've made that actually delivers more value for the money than anyone has a right to expect. I have one as my travel razor and consider it the bargain of the century.

Aside from that, I have found precious few products that don't offer considerably more at much higher prices. Shoes, pens, cars, houses, guitars, etc. Some will insist you're only paying for the name. Well, where do you think that name got it's juice? From providing consistently higher quality products.

I spent my working life saving for retirement, and I'm often not comfortable with spending what I consider very large sums of money for quality I can live without, but I don't deny it's there. I drive a nice car. It doesn't corner (or accelerate) like a Lamborghini, but it turns out I can live nicely without those advantages.

So I think everyone should buy what makes them happy, and find daily joy using your choices. You can only spend it once, so decide where a splurge would bring the most joy.

Going from disposable plastic razors to my Grandfather's DE was a revelation.
It was a real step change in my daily routine!

I became interested in seeing what/if any advantages other razor types (SE, injectors) offered
in comparison and pursued a better than user versions for my journey. Going back and
forth from one type to the other (or on recommendation) looking for an effortless, BBS, super long lasting shave.

It's easy to get carried away if the funds are available until you figure out most of what's out
there is just variation of a theme. There's only so many ways to mount a particular shape of
blade, to angle a razor head, to knurl a handle..

If you get lucky enough to find a razor/blade/soap combo that tics off most boxes on your list of
nirvana shaves consider yourself well served, and stick with it.

When you get perfect shaves but keep buying more to see if you can find anything more perfect than what you already have.

When your shaving supplies start taking up too much room and you start looking for additional storage space.

When you struggle to find the time to use everything in your den.

When you have many years worth of supplies and in all likely good will never get around to using it all.

All sure fire signs that you’ve got too much stuff.

Last edited:
I just want 2-3 tops so if it was $600 so be it BUT I do think its a lost return at some point and then I think I would rather have something else again unless it truly was so insane good :)

for how long it lasts and how much most of us shave I can see why some spend that $500+ without thinking

as a pro photographer when you pay me you are paying for my years of experience not what my lens or gear cost
when I buy a razor from a small company I am paying them for their years of experience engineering testing knowing its a limited market and a unique product and that person had a vision and creation that is unique

and they do seem to hold OK value for what they are :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
First, I would never buy any shaving gear to just show off to other people. The original poster mentioned that. I find that to be silly for a product that you mostly use alone in your bathroom. But I understand that is the motive for some people. And if that is what they like to do, more power to them.

I also have no line when it comes to razors. I really enjoy collecting and using many various razors in all ages and price ranges. I have a pretty easy beard to shave for 95% of my face and neck. But there are a couple of spots on my neck where the stubble swirls in a circular pattern, and lays flat in a weird way. These spots are extremely difficult to shave to a bbs result. It’s a real challenge. So the quest to find a razor that will consistently shave to a bbs level is quite real for me. I’ve gotten close, but I’m not there yet. And the quest is fun and rewarding. And I have the means to engage that quest. Plus my wife tolerates it. So why not.

Razors are a work of art, and often times they are amazing examples of engineering. Other times they are historical examples of what can be done with mass manufacturing, even during times of world war. There is also some great marketing and business history with vintage razors. So there are lots of compelling reasons to hunt and collect razors.

We all have our reasons for being here. I have derived a great amount of enjoyment from using and collecting various shaving items. It is a great hobby. If your thing is moderation or even frugality, that’s really great too. But this is one area of life where I can let go and just indulge.

M

member 119848

Like most of you, I have bought so many razors during the past years... it´s almost shameful when I have to think about it :biggrin1:
50 or 60 razors during the past 4 years... (may be)

I always managed to sell unused razors to avoid building a collection, but I always kept buying new razors to "upgrade" my shaves.
Now I´m down to 5 razors, and I have settled on a razor that I call my "go-to".
My journey has not been frugal. But what is done is done, and my goal now is to enjoy my gear and stop buying.
If I decide to spend money in shaving, I´d rather buy some artisan soap and aftershave. Enjoying shaving instead of accumulating has become my priority.

And I´m not saying that accumulating razors is bad. On the contrary, I have been there, it´s fun. But I just feel better with less stuff. It requires discipline though, not being tempted with new razors. I´m still reading the great reviews you guys are posting :001_smile

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You are one of those rare people qualified to comment on a direct comparison of Wolfman and the ATT Windsor. Care to comment?

They are pretty close. One problem is that I'm comparing my only Wolfman to my only Windsor (R). The Wolfman gives me a BBS with a bit more ease, for whatever reason, and has a better profile for getting under the nose. But getting that kind of quality for the money makes the Windsor an excellent value, IMO.

I'd say the line is drawn even before that point is reached: when obsession sets in.

To me, obsession is about a state of perpetual search for something that's constantly lacking. Easier to spot when it translates into excess quantities. Of razors, soaps, brushes, etc. But it can also be present in the obsessive search for a minimal set up that represents life in its purest sense or some other mystical, zen like aspect.

In that sense, there's no objective point.

There are those with huge, ever growing dens that are simply enjoying the ride, are far from what I see as obsession and, thus, have not reached the point - and may never do. And there are those that simply enjoy their minimal or frugal set ups and are not obsessed either. And all of those in the middle.

But whenever you're obsessed with something, the point has been reached, irrespective of den size. It can be reached simply by "mental shopping" (been there, done that myself).

As others have said, when you begin to ask the question, there's probably something telling you that the point has been reached and whatever it was that you'd been doing, it was not about the shave, the razors, the soaps, etc.

^^^ Agree with this. ^^^

View attachment 1270990
There is no line (with apologies to The Matrix). ;) :cool:

Personally, I am having a blast using lots of different razors, brushes, soaps, aftershaves, etc.....

For me this is FUN. I like figuring out new razors and seeing how much performance I can get from each shaving instrument.

I have three primary razor rotations:
  • Big Dogs
  • Runs With The Big Dogs
  • Fun To Use On Occasion
I intend on obtaining and trying new razors (and brushes, soaps, aftershaves, etc.....) that interest me, for whatever reason.

Bottom line..... no line for me. ;) :cool:
^ This.

I don't collect razors but accumulate soaps, but that's another story. I looked for the ONE and I found it, the Homelike Start with plates 0.69 for everyday and 0.90 for 2/3+ days. It's perfect for me. I found it immediately after ordering a stainless steel Karve, which is coming. I sold all the other razors, just kept the Game Changer 68 for travels, the Start for everyday and now I will see what to do with the Karve, I will probably keep it. I don't want anything else.

Speaking only for myself I guess I draw the line when I feel I've found something that works. At that point I'm done. I don't have any desire to collect, accumulate or buy & sell on the used market (which just seems like a huge pain in the backside to me). I don't own more than one razor for the same reason I don't own more than one dishwasher, for instance, because the dishwasher I have is all I need and it does a great job. For me, it's just that easy. But, as I said, that's me.
I've got two dishwashers lol!
I find what you consider a PITA a fun hobby.
I don't want to give away all my tricks, but I'd value my collection of vintage Gillette and Gem razors around $3k. At this point I don't think I've got much of anything out of pocket.
To each their own. I thought collectors were goofy when I discovered these forums 10 years ago researching what my grandfather's razor was.
It was a rocket, but I found there were newer adjustables and had to have one.
Then red blue and black tips... one of each must be had.
Triple silver plated abc Pocket Edition open combs?... never tried an open comb, got one.
Techs? Everyone's got one, I never used one, look how cheap they are! Got one, pre war?...got one.
Wow, I've got 8 razors, they're all so different, I'm not a collector!
5 years later, Fatboys, black beauties, fat handle techs, psychos, Aristocrat, Milord, slims...uh oh, over 50 razors. Lol

My Windsor with an R and M (and just got a CM because it’s so pretty!) is my grail razor. I also have a Henson medium I find almost perfect, and as soon as the ti arrives I’ll decide wether I’m keeping the al13 medium or the ti22 medium. I’ve tried many others as well over the past year.
To be honest I’m going to try out my k4 tech I haven‘t used in awhile, because my memory tells me that as great as some of the shaves are I’ve gotten with the att and Henson, my tech is still just as good or better for my face.
Maybe or maybe not, but I’m down to a handful of razors I know work best for me, and I don’t regret the road I took one bit. Heck I’m still on that road with soaps/as and colognes! 🤣

Top Bottom