What's new

At What Point Does Too Much actually become Too Much?

Speaking only for myself I guess I draw the line when I feel I've found something that works. At that point I'm done. I don't have any desire to collect, accumulate or buy & sell on the used market (which just seems like a huge pain in the backside to me). I don't own more than one razor for the same reason I don't own more than one dishwasher, for instance, because the dishwasher I have is all I need and it does a great job. For me, it's just that easy. But, as I said, that's me.
You have nailed it. I know what its like to "want". But at what cost? I get so many great shaves with razors at which are truly affordable that I cannot justify spending more than what I've already put into the coffer.

Speaking only for myself I guess I draw the line when I feel I've found something that works. At that point I'm done. I don't have any desire to collect, accumulate or buy & sell on the used market (which just seems like a huge pain in the backside to me). I don't own more than one razor for the same reason I don't own more than one dishwasher, for instance, because the dishwasher I have is all I need and it does a great job. For me, it's just that easy. But, as I said, that's me.
You have nailed it. I know what its like to "want". But at what cost? I get so many great shaves with razors at which are truly affordable that I cannot justify spending more than what I've already put into the coffer.
Good for you. You've realized where you are as far as razor acquisition is acknowledged.

Good for you. You've realized where you are as far as razor acquisition is acknowledged.
My interest in razors (especialy in DE and GEM style ones) isn't as high as it used to be after trying over 30 different razor in the past few years. I was trying to find the special and magical razor that can give me BBS every time with ease and in the process i've found quite a few razors that can do that, but in a slightly different way and I just don't think that any other razor is going to impress me with anything that no other razor in my collection isn't already capable of doing.

Maybe some razors shave more comfortable and are easy to use and so on, but the end result wouldn't be that different from the razors that I already have. I'm going to try at least one SE razor that works with AC blades to see what's the big deal all about and pretty much be done with it. That doesn't mean that I won't be reading about new razors, blades and other stuff on the forum, but I just don't have the same passion like I used to have a couple of months ago. I might spend some time learning how to hone my straights and start using them more often and even buy a few good stones.
I hear you. But there is no "Unicorn". There's only what works for us.

My interest in razors (especialy in DE and GEM style ones) isn't as high as it used to be after trying over 30 different razor in the past few years. I was trying to find the special and magical razor that can give me BBS every time with ease and in the process i've found quite a few razors that can do that, but in a slightly different way and I just don't think that any other razor is going to impress me with anything that no other razor in my collection isn't already capable of doing.

Maybe some razors shave more comfortable and are easy to use and so on, but the end result wouldn't be that different from the razors that I already have. I'm going to try at least one SE razor that works with AC blades to see what's the big deal all about and pretty much be done with it. That doesn't mean that I won't be reading about new razors, blades and other stuff on the forum, but I just don't have the same passion like I used to have a couple of months ago. I might spend some time learning how to hone my straights and start using them more often and even buy a few good stones.
I hear you. But there is no "Unicorn". There's only what works for us.
As some of you may already know, I got into DE/SE shaving a little late in life. When I did, I jumped into the deep end of the pool with credit card in hand. I bought a lot of gear and was really enjoying myself... until I wasn't. There were times when I looked at all I had accumulated and was actually angry with myself. No bill ever went unpaid and nobody missed a meal, but I had purchased a lot of unnecessary stuff simply because it was available. I finally moved beyond that. The year 2021 has been good for me in that regard. I haven't purchased any new gear and I've actually sold some stuff. I guess you can say I'm operating in a shaving gear deficit for the year. Whatever it's called, it feels good.

As I work through my rotation, I use the same razor/blade combo for a full week and I've recently started a trial in an effort to clear out some razors. If after a week of using the razor I don't feel like I would enjoy using that same razor for a full month or longer, the razor goes into the "to go" box. Before I actually sell or trade the razor, I will use it for another week just to give it a chance to redeem itself because I have no desire to feel seller's remorse. Hey, it's a plan but plans can change. Now, what am I going to do about the soaps and brushes? :)
A truly wonderful response. We've all been there. But you dialed it in.

As some of you may already know, I got into DE/SE shaving a little late in life. When I did, I jumped into the deep end of the pool with credit card in hand. I bought a lot of gear and was really enjoying myself... until I wasn't. There were times when I looked at all I had accumulated and was actually angry with myself. No bill ever went unpaid and nobody missed a meal, but I had purchased a lot of unnecessary stuff simply because it was available. I finally moved beyond that. The year 2021 has been good for me in that regard. I haven't purchased any new gear and I've actually sold some stuff. I guess you can say I'm operating in a shaving gear deficit for the year. Whatever it's called, it feels good.

As I work through my rotation, I use the same razor/blade combo for a full week and I've recently started a trial in an effort to clear out some razors. If after a week of using the razor I don't feel like I would enjoy using that same razor for a full month or longer, the razor goes into the "to go" box. Before I actually sell or trade the razor, I will use it for another week just to give it a chance to redeem itself because I have no desire to feel seller's remorse. Hey, it's a plan but plans can change. Now, what am I going to do about the soaps and brushes? :)
I missed this post earlier. I think, bjm, that you have an excellent plan. I will probably do the same as I start paring down again.

It becomes too much when you start asking questions like, “When does too much become too much.”
I would agree with this. If you are asking you are at the line my friend. I did the same thing as everyone on here when you first get going. You are constantly looking for the next best thing whether it be a razor, soap, cream, or aftershave. It gets ridiculous in my opinion. I started with a DE back in 2014 and then switch to straight razor shaving in 2015. In 2015 my wife bought me a Boker straight for fathers day and I have never looked back. The only other straight I have is a 60's Boker which my grandfather use to have. I have a few soaps but honestly just want to get rid of most and pair the soaps down to a few classics like DH Harris soap and Proraso Green. Having less is better in my opinion. Now I say that but I do have a bit of a cologne problem. Well, we can't be perfect can we.

My views are a bit different than the sentiments thus far expoused. I don’t like drawing any lines with hobbies. Life is too short. The thought of one razor that works, one brush that works and one soap that works all makes utilitarian sense, but for me is rather boring. I only have 3 razors (Feather AC, merkur 34c, and Rockland Vector). Any of these give me a close shave, but the feel with each is totally different, and I enjoy them all. As long as I get joy from this hobby, I prefer not to set limits in any way.

The problem is that many people can get obsessive about it, and that can get a little ugly.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I bought a lot of gear and was really enjoying myself... until I wasn't. There were times when I looked at all I had accumulated and was actually angry with myself. No bill ever went unpaid and nobody missed a meal, but I had purchased a lot of unnecessary stuff simply because it was available. I finally moved beyond that.

That's what had happened with me too. I feel bad about it. :/

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
This post really got me wondering about having a lot of razors. It seems that "too much" may have a relationship with the way you go about collecting. If you work at rotating among the razors in your collection are you able to manage your experiences and muscle memory so well that you are actually using each razor to its utmost, achieving the perfect shaves it is capable of providing? I use only one razor, and I would find it hard to give an honest and resounding "yes" if I were using multiple razors. I have rotated among three before, and the results were just not as good as using only one of them, any one of them, on a regular and repeating basis. Sure, they were mostly great shaves, but they were not 10s, and I am of the view that once your equipment is dialed in and being used exclusively, achieving regular 10s is a very achievable goal. So if your razor is consistently giving you what you want, spending any more is in a sense "too much."

If you are a collector and have a plan with more focus than simply amassing a lot of cool stuff, say collecting TTOs or pre-1950s Gillettes, the "too much" issue recedes and "does this add to my collecting objective" takes over as the driving question.

If you are searching for that special razor that really speaks to you, the question is tricky. If your tastes are unchanging, you ought to be able (with guidance obtained from B and B, of course) to tell folks what you are after and find a pretty optimal fit at a price that has been established by the market. The more bells and whistles you want (specific metals, highly specialized techniques like engraving, and polishing, etc.) the higher the price.

If your tastes are ephemeral, you are doomed. Ooo, a black razor! Oooo, a titanium razor with a handle that looks like a castle with vines growing around it! Ooooooo, a red and gold razor with really cool teeth, a handle that is encrusted with a big ruby on the end, and a cap engraved with your initials, resign yourself to giving away your credit card numberl

Last edited:
This post really got me wondering about having a lot of razors. It seems that "too much" may have a relationship with the way you go about collecting. If your work at rotating among the razors in your collection are you able to manage your experiences and muscle memory so well that you are actually using each razor to its utmost, achieving the perfect shaves it is capable of providing? I use only one razor, and I would find it hard to give an honest and resounding "yes" if I were using multiple razors. I have rotated among three before, and the results were just not as good as using only one of them, any one of them, on a regular and repeating basis. Sure, they were mostly great shaves, but they were not 10s, and I am of the view that once your equipment is dialed in and being used exclusively, achieving regukar 10s is a very achievable goal. So if your razor is consistently giving you what you want, spending any more is in a sense "too much."

If you are a collector and have a plan with more focus than simply amassing a lot of cool stuff, say collecting TTOs or pre-1950s Gillettes, the "too much" issue recedes and "does this add to my collecting objective" takes over as the driving question.

If you are searching for that special razor that really speaks to you, the question is tricky. If your tastes are unchanging, you ought to be able (with guidance obtained from B and B, of course) to tell folks what you are after and find a pretty optimal fit at a price that has been established by the market. The more bells and whistles you want (specific metals, highly specialized techniques like engraving, and polishing, etc.) the higher the price.

If your tastes are ephemeral, you are doomed. Ooo, a black razor! Oooo, a titanium razor with a handle that looks like a castle with vines growing around it! Ooooooo, a red and gold razor with really cool teeth, a handle that is encrusted with a big ruby on the end and a cap engraved with your initials, resign yourself to giving away your credit card numberl
This is quite on point. The only thing saving me from ruin has been focusing on non-Gillette vintage equipment.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Great discussion!!

You could raise a similar question with many things in life: cars, houses, boats, stereo equipment, etc.

And it gets really expensive once you start on liquor and women!!

My ’solution’ has been to try some, then focus on the one/ones that keep me happy!! :a29:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Everyone, of course, draws the line at their personal comfort level. For some the size of the wallet factors in, and for others it's just personal comfort. There is no question that the law of diminishing returns is a real thing. While you might come close (might) to doubling your quality from a $20 razor to a $40 razor, you most definitely will not going from $200 to $400.

I think there are (at least) two questions to answer before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

1. Can I feel the increase in quality?
2. If yes, do I think it's worth the increase in price?

I have some nice razors, but for the past 6 years I've been using a Wolfman virtually every day I'm home. I got good shaves from the other razors, but I get slightly better shaves from the Wolfman. As I recall, I paid $155 USD as James was just getting started. Would I pay three times that amount today not knowing how good it was? Probably not.

The ATT Windsor is one of the few purchases I've made that actually delivers more value for the money than anyone has a right to expect. I have one as my travel razor and consider it the bargain of the century.

Aside from that, I have found precious few products that don't offer considerably more at much higher prices. Shoes, pens, cars, houses, guitars, etc. Some will insist you're only paying for the name. Well, where do you think that name got it's juice? From providing consistently higher quality products.

I spent my working life saving for retirement, and I'm often not comfortable with spending what I consider very large sums of money for quality I can live without, but I don't deny it's there. I drive a nice car. It doesn't corner (or accelerate) like a Lamborghini, but it turns out I can live nicely without those advantages.

So I think everyone should buy what makes them happy, and find daily joy using your choices. You can only spend it once, so decide where a splurge would bring the most joy.

The Razorock Lupo .95 head paired
with a Muhle R94 ( slightly modified)
handle.

I was really supriced the first time i tried the Lupo 0.95. I am never selling this one. This will be my last razor. Does new handles count? I have a timeless titanium crown handle in the mail.

Top Bottom