What's new

At What Point Does Too Much actually become Too Much?

When you throw away boxes your wife have not seen yet:) It is dangerous to have your own shave den that your wife don't use:)
1621941063451.png

Wow, I feel I owe you all an apology. I just realized I answered a question that wasn't even asked. The original post seems to be regarding cost of a razor and not the total amount of accumulated equipment. So to answer the OP, I draw the line at cost when I feel a need to ask if it's okay to dip into the family coffers to indulge my habit :)

It's too late to edit my previous posts, but I feel a bit of clarification may be in order. I tend to overthink some things which can sometimes lead to a bit of self-diagnosed anxiety. I just realized I also have a closet full of clothes that I haven't worn in well over a year, and yet I don't have the same sense of angst regarding their lack of use as I do about my shaving gear. To readdress the question that wasn't asked, I feel the individual is in a unique position to determine when too much is too much. But I believe if/when it has a negative impact on one's life and/or sense of well-being, it's time to address the issue or at least ask the question.

On the bright side, no real harm was done by my shave-related purchases and I have enough quality blades and soaps for probably the next twenty years or so. I still plan to thin the herd a bit, but my vintage razors and favorite brushes are pretty much safe from the culling. A few razors have already been selected for the "to go" box not because they don't provide great shaves, but because I don't see myself ever choosing them for a fixed-four event. For the most part, I have enjoyed the DE/SE journey and I feel I've acquired a lot of useful information in a relatively short period of time. I've spent quite a bit on shaving gear, but still not as much as I've spent on family, friends, obligations, and necessities; therefore, I no longer feel guilty for occasionally spending a little bit on myself too. Be well and stay safe...

For me too much is spending over $50 on a razor or more than $20 on a single soap or more than $20 on a single brush.

Also owning more than 5 brushes, owning more than 10 razors, owning more than 30 soaps. Having more than 1000 blades.

Im not a collector so I sell stuff that I dont enjoy or that doesnt perform well for me. But those are my own rules that I set for myself. I certainly dont look on anyone that spends more, they must love themselves more than I do.

Im a very cheap guy by nature and actually its starting to become a fault so I am working on changing my attitudes because too much of any extreme is not healthy. But I also dont like to waste so I had to put the brakes on buying new soaps or blades because I can see I have several years worth of stuff already, over 500 blades which is already over a lifetimes supply for me.

One more thing and I promise to try to keep it on topic... It took a lot of trial and error to figure out which razors, blades, brushes, soaps, and creams work for me. That's okay, because I feel it's part of the experience and the price for the education. But one of my biggest mistakes was not investing in quality (not necessarily expensive) razors from the start. I spent a dollar to save a dime more than once.

For example, I would buy a cheap knock-off because I wasn't sure if the razor I really wanted was worth the extra money. I wouldn't be satisfied with the knock-off, so I'd move on and buy something else (maybe this knock-off will be better than the last one). Eventually, I'd come back around and buy the razor I wanted in the beginning. I could have saved myself the trouble, expense, and disappointment with the original purchase. If I didn't like the razor or the experience, it would have been much easier to sell or trade it while suffering a minor loss. Instead I now have a drawer full of cheap knock-offs that I can't sell or won't give away (because of respect for the recipient).

So here's a bit of unsolicited advice from the old neighbor sitting on the porch... If the cost of a razor is more than you can currently afford or feel comfortable spending, find and purchase a suitable substitute and be content with years of enjoyable guilt-free shaves. Or, wait and save until the cost of the desired razor has less of a negative impact on the wallet. Yet another lesson learned.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
For me too much is spending over $50 on a razor or more than $20 on a single soap or more than $20 on a single brush.

Also owning more than 5 brushes, owning more than 10 razors, owning more than 30 soaps. Having more than 1000 blades.

Im not a collector so I sell stuff that I dont enjoy or that doesnt perform well for me. But those are my own rules that I set for myself. I certainly dont look on anyone that spends more, they must love themselves more than I do.

Im a very cheap guy by nature and actually its starting to become a fault so I am working on changing my attitudes because too much of any extreme is not healthy. But I also dont like to waste so I had to put the brakes on buying new soaps or blades because I can see I have several years worth of stuff already, over 500 blades which is already over a lifetimes supply for me.
How much over 500 blades? I do not consider 500 a lifetime supply. Maybe 2 to 3 years worth for me.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
How much over 500 blades? I do not consider 500 a lifetime supply. Maybe 2 to 3 years worth for me.

I know the question wasn't aimed at me, but I have around 600 blades, and don't expect to ever need more. I got 10-14 shaves from a blade, and don't shave each and every day. Maybe 4 to 5 times a week on average.

So 600 blades is a minimum for me of 6000 shaves, and at five shaves per week, that's 23 years. The chances of me needing more are pretty much non-existant

Good question and thread topic.

What point is too much, for me, it varies. How's that for dodging the question. I'm not a collector, like to have some variety, but also tend to like to try new-to-me items.

That said, I have Charcoal, Wolfman, and Paradigm razors, but also some vintage Gillettes. $400 Cdn for a Wolfman is a large purchase but I will likely get another at some point with the sign up list. $650 Cdn for a titanium Wolfman, that's the edge of my comfort zone and would likely sell some items to fund the purchase. That said, if I stubble on the Wolfman site open for Ti orders, I'd probably buy one in the shear excitement and thrill of the chase. So given the thrill, $650 wouldn't be 'too' much. However, $500 on a new razor maker, is likely 'too much' for me, so I guess part of my comfort is knowing that a high-end razor maintains some value.

I have some less expensive Gillettes that I really enjoy. I have a Fatboy I bought at a garage sale for something like $10, a couple other that I paid $5-25 range that I like. Now a $30 razor that I know won't be used, that's 'too much' and part of not being a collector.

I'm finding I want to try fewer items the last year or two and enjoying the ones I have, and the conversion from Cdn to USD helps deter large expensive razor purchases. The last couple years as well, I've been selling items to fund new purchases and makes me consider what the purpose of the purchase is.

A bit (or a lot) rambley here but it depends and no specific line. I guess I have to see the 'value' in the purchase, whether it be $5 or $500.

The razor I have that's worth the most is my Tradere 00010.
I'm happy that you have it, although the fact that it's become a modern collectible troubles me. I designed the Tradere as a razor from a shaving enthusiast for other shaving enthusiasts to use, with much support from B&B members, not as a safe queen. The original Tradere OC, like your # 10, is purposefully a very aggressive piece for experienced shavers who wanted to try something different. The geometry was a big change from what was being made, at that point in the US only Weber was making a razor head. His was black coated to cover any imperfections. I have one and it's an excellent shaver. After the initial Tradere run, of about 250 razors, and feedback, I softened the OC a bit, so it would be useable for a few more folks. I did the solid bar so the Tradere would be useable by even more. My pricing was simple, a little over cost to the few resellers and sell at the same price for the ones we sold directly. I kept costs down as much as possible, because it was for fun, not profit. When the smoke cleared, on the ~1,200 razors we made and sold, I earned enough to have funded this hobby for myself, but not a lot more, which was my only financial goal. My wife did the final QC and much of the packing. For me, I didn't want another business, although it was easy to see it could have been a successful one. I owned a business in the 1980s and 1990s, and retired from that in my 40s to become a college professor, which is what I was doing in Reno. I stopped manufacturing Tradere because the local shop I was using couldn't really make more and properly focus on their main business, their CNC expert split, and we had and still have elderly parents who were ill then and needed a lot of our time. As you all know a few thousandths of an inch can make a big difference in a razor, so without the real CNC expert it just didn't make sense for them. I didn't go source other shops outside of Reno, because as a part-time for fun thing, I didn't want to start traveling for it. BTW our Moms are still both alive and still take a lot of our time. In fact, I'm at my Mom's in a NY suburb now; she'll be 90 in September and my MIL is soon to be 91. My wife is at her Mom's in NJ getting that house in order to be sold.

Started collecting many years ago; back when few were interested in old razors. I must have hundreds of razors all in, all different types, DE, SE, straights, and many with archaic and odd blade systems. I tried everything I could get my hands on. I'll be unwinding in the coming years, as we have daughters, and only one of my sons-in-law DE shaves. He uses a Tradere SB daily and owns only two razors; the other being an old Gillette I gave him. When I get back to reno I could lay them all out, LOL- they would surely cover the top of our dining room table.

Shane at Blackland has the Tradere rights now, and pays me a small royalty for what gets sold. I'm happy he is still making them, I'm told there are more on on the way, so others can have a chance to try the design out. Shane is a wonderful young man and I'm proud to be associated with him, even in such a small way. Tradere razors are not easy to machine- I had to go and design something that's a PITA to make. I'll plug Shane's new ERA razor, it's made in a way that's really interesting and it looks great.

As to the OPs original question- as always YMMV. IMHO any hobby becomes too much if you sacrifice any needs at all for the wants, or you run out of storage space, whichever comes first.

I got into wet shaving because I was tired of spending a fortune for a mediocre shave. Now I'm spending about same amount of money, buying razors, blades & soaps, for a great shave.

I'm frugal & tend to have the mindset of best bang for my buck. My wife fits that category. 🤣🤣🤣😂😊
I don't like spending more than $50-60 for a razor. Although I own one a GC. Now if I couldn't get a great shave from a razor that cost less than $50-$60 I would expand that range. But I routinely get great shaves ALL THE TIME from inexpensive razors like, RR SLOC, Rockwell 6C, Muhle R89, Fatip Gentille & my latest addition the King C. Gillette.

If you can afford more expensive shave gear without affecting your budget or lifestyle & it makes you happy
GO FOR IT! I love looking at expensive razors on this forum! Some of them look like works of art. But I 'd rather spend more money on others items.
YMMV.

Everyone draws the line, as you put it, differently. And it depends on a number of factors. But the most important is persons outlook on razors.

For me razor is a tool. Do I want a quality tool that will do it's job efficiently and will last? I do. This is why I have my trusted Rockwell 6S. It cost me 120€ (darn the customs) and for me this is enough. But my outlook on razor is that razor is a tool. And I will not spend 500$ for a shaving tool.

Someone else views razors as collectors item. That person will draw the line when they can't afford new razors. They are not buying just a tool, they are completing a collection and also making an investment. They are not buying 500$ razors for extra smoothenes, closeness or less iritation. They buy it to have it, to use it and take pride in it.

Top Bottom