What's new

At what grit should I be refreshing the bevel?

My progression on new razors is 1k > suita > finisher. My suita is pretty fine... If I wanted to refresh the bevel without going to 1k, can I refresh it on a suita, or should I drop down to a 3-5k synth before going suita > finisher?

I normally go to about 3k to correct any and all anomalies from shaving.
As nobody will be familiar with YOUR Suita it is up to you to decide.
Its not normally necessary to go to 1k unless there is chipping or irregularities that would warrant it.
Many will just refresh on their finisher, which will work, if given enough strokes.

My progression on new razors is 1k > suita > finisher. My suita is pretty fine... If I wanted to refresh the bevel without going to 1k, can I refresh it on a suita, or should I drop down to a 3-5k synth before going suita > finisher?

It completely depends on what's going on with your edge. Dropping down to the 1K would be if you had significant edge damage. For serious dings, I go to a 500. I am not sure that there is any reason to go with a 3-5K synth before a suita, but I guess that all depends on where your suita is located on the spectrum.

It also depends on how much of a perfect edge you will be satisfied with. If you have a few chips that would be easiest to hone out with a 1k or 3k and elect to touch up with an 8k and 12k it is likely that the few chips will remain, though you may not know that they are there without a microscope.

I've often surmised that edges that are maintained with only high grit stones or .1 µm diamond pasted balsa accumulate several chips that are not being removed after a large number of shaves.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Try the finisher first. If that doesn’t work, drop down, fine to coarse, until it does. Then you will know.

Alfredo, is that you in the video?

I have a question about why a jnat slurry acts finer over the course of the honing sequence.

I have seen electron microscope images of jnat particles before and after honing. To my surprise they appear to be the same size. So it's not that they are becoming smaller or finer.

I can only guess that what's happening is that as the particles are being tumbled between the hard surfaces of the razor and the stone the sharp edges of the particles are being dulled. The edges no longer cut as deep into the steel.

And also, as dilution continues, you end up with almost no particles so all that's happening is the edge is gliding along the surface of the stone. And by that time the particles embedded in the surface of the stone are also worn down to a dull finish. And also, since they are embedded, they are buried halfway in, so only a small part of a particle is protruding. This tiny bit of a dull particle would make only the tiniest groove in the steel.

What are your thoughts please.

Try the finisher first. If that doesn’t work, drop down, fine to coarse, until it does. Then you will know.

Steve's advice is spot on. Yeah, only go as coarse as you need to. In your case, whatever you're using for a finishing stone, should be the first to try. If hard asagi, I would go with tomo nagura to water progression for 20 laps or so on each. If using a coticule, water only on your best finishing stone.

I have a question about why a jnat slurry acts finer over the course of the honing sequence.

I have seen electron microscope images of jnat particles before and after honing. To my surprise they appear to be the same size. So it's not that they are becoming smaller or finer.

I can only guess that what's happening is that as the particles are being tumbled between the hard surfaces of the razor and the stone the sharp edges of the particles are being dulled. The edges no longer cut as deep into the steel.

And also, as dilution continues, you end up with almost no particles so all that's happening is the edge is gliding along the surface of the stone. And by that time the particles embedded in the surface of the stone are also worn down to a dull finish. And also, since they are embedded, they are buried halfway in, so only a small part of a particle is protruding. This tiny bit of a dull particle would make only the tiniest groove in the steel.

That’s me.

What’s going on? I don’t think we know exactly, your theory is what I think is happening. I’m the end, doesn’t matter.

Run steel on the rock, steel gets sharp, shave, enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This breakdown has been shown through SEM photos but it is primarily the binder. Actual sharpening abrasive particles do not break down.

This breakdown has been shown through SEM photos but it is primarily the binder. Actual sharpening abrasive particles do not break down.

Exactly. And as well as the photographs, it makes sense.

There's no way that the mere weight of several ounces of a razor could shatter the super hard garnet gemstones in a coticule.

Also, if they were breaking up, then the finish would become finer without us having to change anything. But it doesn't. We have to lighten up our pressure, and also we have to dilute the slurry.

I've honed without lightening pressure and I've just made the edge worse.

So I'm guessing there are three things going on. The edges of the particles are dulling a little bit. And pressure and dilution are changing.

Sorry for geeking out and getting off thread, but I find this stuff intriguing

Coticules are totally different animals.
If you are using a slurry it will be for speed and rougher finish honing.
Best to clean right off and finish with water only and plenty of laps to bring the deeply grooved edge to fruition...IMO

I often refresh with slurried Suita (speed) and then finish on a finer J-Nat, just depends on what needs to be done to the edge and the stones at your disposal.

Top Bottom