What's new

Asylum Shave Works

Does anyone know anything about this company? Are they good products? I can't find any information about them.

In a previous thread, I was looking for a bottle of after shave that mimicked Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille.

I came across this company and they have an "Old Virginia" alcohol based after shave splash which is a blend of:
  • Tobacco Absolute
  • Vanilla
  • Tonka bean

Bullgoose Shaving sells it as their "house brand". It is made by WSP (Wet Shaving Products), and is very good, IMO.

This morning I splashed on some Asylum Royal Fougere, as a matter of fact.

WSP's soaps are quite good (I've tried both vegan and tallow formulas. One of the few vendors that I have multiple products of.) Their aftershaves (I've only tried a few at this point) are very nice feeling on the skin and the scents have great complexity. As far as scent strength, they run wide: I have the Dark Amber Vanille and I love the scent, but it is a projection/longevity monster on my skin. If I'm not careful, it's just too much and it lasts into the next day. The Royal Fougere, on the other hand, dries down into a soft pleasant scent within an hour. You would have to be much too close to me to smell it after a couple of hours. If I rub my cheeks, though, I can rouse the scent for most of the day. As far as I'm concerned, that's about perfect for an aftershave's potency.

Sorry, I haven't tried Old Virginia. I suspect that if the scent profile intrigues you, that you'd probably like the performance. I know that WSP's regular "tobacco" scent is quite popular.

I thought the Royal Fougere line would be around for a very long time. I was sad to see it discontinued together with the rest of Asylum Shave Works aftershaves.

Like Edinburgh said, above, Bullgoose has discontinued their Asylum Old Virginia line, made by WSP, which was indeed incredibly great.
I guess it just got too limited of an awareness to compete with all the rest.
WSP Blackbeard is somewhat in the same neighborhood, however...

Top Bottom