What's new

Asylum RX razor

The RX is an excellent shaver. The unique design, look, and limited availability, and now unobtainable status add to the total package.

Unobtainable on matters to someone who wants to obtain one! I'm sure if I put a WTB in the BST right now, someone will be willing to give there's up. If you have one, then unobtainable doesn't matter either. The RX is favored by a small group of people in a small market of wet shavers. For every shaver that bought one, there's probably two that sold theirs.

You mention that using an RX with a guarded blade makes it no more efficient than others using a Proline. Perhaps, but, the RXs efficiency can be raised by using another blade rather than its efficiency being capped by its design like The General and ATT.

For the price of the RX you can get an ATT SE1 and SE2, two baseplate. If you're into all the blades, you have an even wider range of efficiency. I'm not sure how that's capped. I found the RX to be just as efficient as the SE2, both with Proline blades, most efficient razors I've used. Both overkill.

The RX and SE2 will deliver the closest shave with good technique and little effort. At the same time, other AC razors with less blade exposure will deliver the same close shave with good technique and a little more effort, the key word is "technique"!

I don't think the RX will be missed by all. Just my opinion...

Last edited:
I agree, the RX will not be missed by all, I was simply expressing my opinion on a thread about the RX that I find it an interesting and unique razor. I’m certainly not saying it’s the best razor for everyone, it’s not even the best razor for me. I do appreciate it for what it is though and while other razors see more playing time, I’m happy it’s part of my stable.

And I was simply expressing my opinion on a thread about the RX and what I don't find appealing about it. I'm glad I got to try it in a pass around and I'm glad I didn't buy it.

To use a car analogy, to me the RX is like my MG. Sexy, fun, but temperamental. Not a daily driver, but something to be enjoyed when the spirit calls. The General and ATT are like Toyota’s and Subaru’s. They get the job done reliably day in and day out. Good solid transportation. I drive my Subaru most every day and like it, but don’t love it. I drive my MG 40 or 50 times a year. Half the time it breaks down. It drives me mad many days and I’ve cursed it often, but I love that dang car. The Subaru’s and Toyota’s have come and gone from my life with little notice. The MG has been a constant love and some day when it leaves my garage the last time will be dearly missed.

The RX isn’t perfect nor fit for daily driving, but it is a stand out for sure.

I enjoyed my Rx but as I thin my collection I preferred the Cobra Classic more. The Rx is well designed but in the end I preferred the shave from my Cobra.

I bought my RX 6-8 months ago. I shaved with it 2-3 times and I too found it to be a challenge to master and really get comfortable with. I didn't give it the needed time I suppose.
Went back to it today and was rewarded with a very smooth, 2 pass BBS shave.
I followed the advice a previous poster made; no pressure, handle close to my face, take your time.. Very nice, so nice my skin felt great with no Thayer's or A/S applied.
My soap was Stirling Christmas Eve and the blade was a Feather Pro Guard (Schick Proline will be next).

I am about 1.5 years into my wet shaving experience and I am finding with time and improvement of my technique aggressive razors turn into efficient razors. The Timeless 0.95 used to bleed me and now I can shave with that no problem.

The Rx will be moving into the weekly rotation. Glad I didn't sell it (but then I never sell anything but the thought crossed my mind as I watched it gather dust).

My SE2 will be the next to tame. There were will be blood would describe my first shave with that.

I bought my RX 6-8 months ago. I shaved with it 2-3 times and I too found it to be a challenge to master and really get comfortable with. I didn't give it the needed time I suppose.
Went back to it today and was rewarded with a very smooth, 2 pass BBS shave.
I followed the advice a previous poster made; no pressure, handle close to my face, take your time.. Very nice, so nice my skin felt great with no Thayer's or A/S applied.
My soap was Stirling Christmas Eve and the blade was a Feather Pro Guard (Schick Proline will be next).

I am about 1.5 years into my wet shaving experience and I am finding with time and improvement of my technique aggressive razors turn into efficient razors. The Timeless 0.95 used to bleed me and now I can shave with that no problem.

The Rx will be moving into the weekly rotation. Glad I didn't sell it (but then I never sell anything but the thought crossed my mind as I watched it gather dust).

My SE2 will be the next to tame. There were will be blood would describe my first shave with that.

Congratulations for finding the secret of wet shaving. Often times, folks new to wet shaving will pick up a razor and just start shaving without bothering to feel how the razor is shaving on the first pass and making adjustments as they get to know it. They often times end up butchering their faces and then put the razor down for a long period or get rid of it and ask the forum what razor to buy next. Unfortunately many on the forum are more than happy to suggest their favorite razors and the cycle continues. Few will say to work with the razor you have and get to know it better and develop your skills.

As your shaving skills start to develop (if you are fortunate enough to let it develop), you pick up the razor again and find that it gave an excellent shave. The razor did not change, but the shaver did. For me, whenever I test out a new razor, I never load a new blade, and often times I look for a medium grade blade with about three shaves left on it before tossing. This way I can feel all the nuances and quirks of an new razor and adjust the angles properly. soap also doesn't matter, although I like to use a soap that I know has good slickness and cushion.

Bottom line is that any razor using any blade should give you a decent shave.

The razor that never disappoints, the RX. Always works in 2 passes with the slightest of touch ups around the chin & Adam’s Apple area. Used a fresh Feather Pro and it was a no contest for the whiskers this morning. The RX is not for everyone and I understand that completely. It’s a supremely efficient razor with a healthy dose of blade feel that if one is careless, you’re going to potentially pay a price for that with some serious irritation, nics or even worse some skin removal. But, sound technique & NO PRESSURE really allows you to see and feel what this razor is capable of. It’s a Titan in not just the SE world but, in all of wet shavedom. Love the design, the feel and look of it. Superb, simply superb....

043E7BC4-A4B6-4EB7-ADDF-CBCAA6343A2D.jpeg

I think the built in angle is misleading. If you find the angle that works best for you it is a great razor. For me that is steep, similar to a str8 razor shaving angle. Also, I tried different handles and the original works best.

The razor that never disappoints, the RX. Always works in 2 passes with the slightest of touch ups around the chin & Adam’s Apple area. Used a fresh Feather Pro and it was a no contest for the whiskers this morning. The RX is not for everyone and I understand that completely. It’s a supremely efficient razor with a healthy dose of blade feel that if one is careless, you’re going to potentially pay a price for that with some serious irritation, nics or even worse some skin removal. But, sound technique & NO PRESSURE really allows you to see and feel what this razor is capable of. It’s a Titan in not just the SE world but, in all of wet shavedom. Love the design, the feel and look of it. Superb, simply superb....

View attachment 1194545

I agree 100%.

COVID has me working from home so I have more time in the morning to linger over a shave. I always loved the shave I got from my RX but it was a bit too aggressive for a rushed early morning shave. That’s no longer the case and I use my RX about once a week. The shaves I get from it are always superb.

Top Bottom