What's new

Asylum RX razor

I'm glad the RX is available. While I don't have one I know I will at some point but it's nice to see a truly unique product of excellent quality brought to market from the ground up. I hope it becomes a mainstay in the wet shaving market and that it doesn't go the way of the Cobra with lengthy unavailability.

Marcos1,
The RX I find behaves differently than my other SEs. So far I have the El-Jefe and the Hawk. While all shave great depending on the blade, the RX is in a class of its own. The price difference between the three is also very big but I think it's worth every penny IMHO.

I found their is certainly a learning curve with the RX. Not only is proper prep and technique key (duh) with getting the most from this razor, it will provide an excellent shave if you take the time and care to find the optimal blade. A handful of shaves in and I was ready to give up on the RX. I stuck with it, found a technique and blade that works for me, and now its one of my favorite tools for removing whiskers. Its not a daily driver for me any more than the heirloom straight I shave with on special occasions. I'm barely conscious most week days when I am shaving at 5:00AM, those mornings I grab my trusty DE and let muscle memory take over while the other 99% of my brain that is actually awake focuses on standing and breathing. Weekends and other days when I have a bit more time I reach for the RX when I want to indulge a bit. Its well made, unique, and provides an excellent shave for me when used properly.

I had the same problem with mine when I first got it. Actually I seem to have the same thing happen any time I try a new razor so I will use it put it away, come back a few days to a week later and give it another try. At some point everything clicks and I get that good shave and then I have little to no trouble shifting back and forth between razors.

I just had an email from BullGoose saying he had received the last batch of Rx razors last Sat, Dec 24, until spring so if anyone wants one you better be quick.

Another excellent shave from the RX this morning. I'm glad I didn't give up on this one as I feel like I'm hitting my stride now.

Even though I have been shaving with straights for years, I couldn't resist getting an Asylum RX. It is a beautiful razor.
Today was the first time I used a Feather AC Super in my Asylum RX and had a great three pass shave. After this blade I'll try the Feather Pro. I wasn't impressed with Kai mild; the first shave was great, the next shave the blade tugged and pulled. I will try the Kai blades again after the Feather Pro. They were great in Feather AC shavette.

With a new safety razor I'd like to give it fourteen shave try out, using different blades. The Asylum RX is an aggressive razor and will give a very close shave, similar to a straight razor, therefore patience is necessary. Heck when I was learning straights it took about 100 shaves for me to become proficient; that's about average so fourteen shave try out is nothing.

The RX I consider it a straight with a handle and use it with the pro as I find it aggressive. I'm curious to find out your comparison between the pro and the super pro.

I agree with the last couple posts, I approach my shave with the RX more like a Straight or a shavette than I do a DE.

The RX I consider it a straight with a handle and use it with the pro as I find it aggressive. I'm curious to find out your comparison between the pro and the super pro.

I will report here. BTW fourteen hours after the BBS, I had a DFS, that's impressive for me.

Here's my update: all three blades (Feather Super, Feather Pro, Kai Mild) work great in the Asylum RX. In fact I went back to the Kai blade that had a few shaves on it and had a comfortable three pass DFS. I attribute the one uncomfortable shave to using the wrong angle. It's very easy to find the correct angle since the razor head is made at the proper angle.
I don't have a favorite blade. The Kai Mild is the least aggressive, Feather Pro is medium and Feather Super is most aggressive. I didn't try any Feather Guard blades.

If you take a magnifying glass, you wil see that Super Pro lays ON the tabs, not BEHIND the tabs, since it's a little bit wider then Pro. It's still secure because of slots, so it's certainly possible to shave with it, but Rx wasn't designed to be used with Pro Super only Pro and Kai. May be Phil, who reads this forum, can provide more info.

Here's my update: all three blades (Feather Super, Feather Pro, Kai Mild) work great in the Asylum RX. In fact I went back to the Kai blade that had a few shaves on it and had a comfortable three pass DFS. I attribute the one uncomfortable shave to using the wrong angle. It's very easy to find the correct angle since the razor head is made at the proper angle.
I don't have a favorite blade. The Kai Mild is the least aggressive, Feather Pro is medium and Feather Super is most aggressive. I didn't try any Feather Guard blades.

If you take a magnifying glass, you wil see that Super Pro lays ON the tabs, not BEHIND the tabs, since it's a little bit wider then Pro. It's still secure because of slots, so it's certainly possible to shave with it, but Rx wasn't designed to be used with Pro Super only Pro and Kai. May be Phil, who reads this forum, can provide more info.

Since the Super Pro blade is wider than the other blades it will not properly fit any of the AC razors that use blade stops, which would include the Asylum Rx and the Cobras.

From the Bullgoose website: "The Asylum Rx is designed to be used with the following blades: Kai Titan Mild, Kai Titan Mild with Guard, Kai Titan Original, Feather Professional and Feather Pro-Guard." Conspicuous by its absence is the Super Pro.

--Bob

Indeed, it doesn't fit Cobras as well. Somebody wrote long time ago that you can use King Cobra with Super Pro. When, after long wait, I got a King, I tried, but it's the same story : Looks OK, but with magnifying glass, it's clearly seen that it lays on stops. At least one person modified his Cobra classic with Dremel so it can accommodate Pro Super ( he published it on the bb forum few years ago ). May be ( unlikely though ) Phil can manufacture and sell a separate bottom plate which will work with Pro Super.

Since the Super Pro blade is wider than the other blades it will not properly fit any of the AC razors that use blade stops, which would include the Asylum Rx and the Cobras.

From the Bullgoose website: "The Asylum Rx is designed to be used with the following blades: Kai Titan Mild, Kai Titan Mild with Guard, Kai Titan Original, Feather Professional and Feather Pro-Guard." Conspicuous by its absence is the Super Pro.

--Bob

I tried several blades, and after 4 weeks (20 shaves )....I have to admit I MUCH MUCH prefer my SS Mongoose...
I really wanted to like the Assylum ....it did not work out!
Nice piece ....but...
This only reflects my personal opinion and I am happy that some of you are enjoying this razor...

tam

Last edited:
I have now come to the conclusion that the ATT SE1 is a better razor. That is not to say that the RX is not a great razor, it is, but I feel the SE1 suits me better.

I have now come to the conclusion that the ATT SE1 is a better razor. That is not to say that the RX is not a great razor, it is, but I feel the SE1 suits me better.

That is interesting, because I am of the opinion that I like the RX over the v1 SE2, which I consider to be about equal with respect to aggressiveness between the two. Of note, I had a Pro Super blade loaded into the SE2, and a Pro blade in the RX. I suspect that the SE2 loaded with a Pro blade, the RX would be more aggressive. I prefer the overall design, feel and head angle of the RX over the SE2. Just goes to show that YMMV. Both are exceptional, and are the only SE of this AC type blade that I have used.

That is interesting, because I am of the opinion that I like the RX over the v1 SE2, which I consider to be about equal with respect to aggressiveness between the two. Of note, I had a Pro Super blade loaded into the SE2, and a Pro blade in the RX. I suspect that the SE2 loaded with a Pro blade, the RX would be more aggressive. I prefer the overall design, feel and head angle of the RX over the SE2. Just goes to show that YMMV. Both are exceptional, and are the only SE of this AC type blade that I have used.
I think that sums it up rather well. The best razor in the world is the one that suits you best and will probably not coincide with the preferences of others. I have tried both razors with just about every AC blade and, eventually, came down in favour of the SE1 with Pro blade. The Schick Proline P-20 blade is very nearly as good.

My Rx arrived today and I am very excited to see how it compares in shave quality to the Cobra, El Jefe and Alumigoose v1.

I already know just taking it out of the box that the build quality is way ahead of any of the others.

Top Bottom